US proof of citizenship

danmarino

Dec 15, 2006
My wife and I are visiting Punta Cana (we don't have passports) next week and we both have our original birth certificates. I read that my wife needs our original marriage license due to the name change. Is that accurate or will a copy of our marriage license suffice along with the original birth certificate and driver's license?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Why not get a passport now? Did you know that as of Jan.26 2007 the US is the one that will give you a hard time re-entering your own country without a passport? It's not the DR that you need to worry about.

Quick go get one now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
You should follow Anna's advice, but if you must travel with the birth certificates, go to the city clerks or county clerks office where you got married and get a certified copy of your marriage license, don't depend on photocopies when travelling abroad.

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
i suggest getting it ASAP too. you can get it faster by paying a little more for a rush copy. that's what i did years ago when i got mine. i think the prices have gone up though but you should definitely do it. you don't want to go through the hassel of having to prove your citizenship (since people fake documents so well now days).