Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default those dammm motorcycle drivers in the DR

I am thinking this is just something that happens to a gringo or tourist..but maybe it happens to dominicans as well....I havent seen it happen to anyone but myself, and that has been about 10 times so far...as you cross the street a motorscooter guy is coming fast....you get across in front of him...or it could be you let him pass before you continue.. and as soon as he is right next to you or JUST past you he slams the brakes on,....and skids...for about 4 or 5 feet and then he is off again....I think he is doing it to startle me or try to scare me....The tire skidding is pretty loud and sudden......There never is any other reason i can see why they do it....there is no other vehicle they are trying to avoid...it has been in the wide open road with plenty of room.......I guess it is their little cheap way to have fun at the gringos exspense......it worked a little one time.......I thought there was an accident.... and turned real quick...and there he goes on in the open road....I kinda expect it most times now

anyone else have this happen to them.....or see it done to someone who isnt native to the country.

bob

Retired Ussername
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

bob, you're just not playing along. The next thing that is supposed to happen is that you THEN squeal out and follow them down the road, get right behind them, and then apply your horn in a long, steady blast. (assuming that there is a clear road to do so)

The winner of the "game" is the one with the smallest brown stripe in their shorts - you , or him. Once you start playing this game in this way, it then becomes fun. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

That isn't always true. Most of my time in the DR was spent on foot in the poorest areas, and it is very common for some jerk on a motor to go as fast and as close to you as possible when there is a wide open street.

I am just very glad when I did have a truck I was driving around the Capital and not out in the Campo.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be wary when opening your car door! They come close enough to skin the paint....Canadian Bob

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GringoCArlos View Post
    bob, you're just not playing along. The next thing that is supposed to happen is that you THEN squeal out and follow them down the road, get right behind them, and then apply your horn in a long, steady blast. (assuming that there is a clear road to do so)

The winner of the "game" is the one with the smallest brown stripe in their shorts - you , or him. Once you start playing this game in this way, it then becomes fun. Good luck.
    gringo carlos.....my GF has domesticated me...I am not allowed to get violent, or go off on a bender, or even raise my voice when some one is ripping me off when she is present....It embarrasses her... ha ha ha ha....sooooo I am trying to be a good boy. I seldom run people over with my SUV anymore and it is never anyone younger than about 16 or over 65 ish..... she embarasses easily...

like when I play my Emma Shapplin CD, she rolls up her window and tilts her seat back so no one can see her in the car... ha ha ha

bob

Post Thanks / Like

Not too much you can do in the face of ignorance. Of course you stand out like a sore thumb any place you go, so this can be just a stupid game....

Personally, I have not seen it, although it sounds sooo Dominican teenager...

Oh well....

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

i've seen it happen to other people but not to me. maybe i have that "i'll beat your a*s pend**o" look on my face but only when i'm by myself.
    if i'm with one of my dominican female friends they don't let me get confrontational either. i guess it's because i'm just a visitor and she has to live there...

Chip00

Default Motor

As someone who used to live in the campo in Moca and a barrio in Santiago I have personally never seen it. However, if you live on the north coast I would not doubt this happening based on the fact that the youth are certainly more "unrestrained" with some certain elements downright obnoxious from my experience. It's funny, most of the time in the "interior" people just ignore me even though I'm a typically gringo but when I go to the north coast I'm aware of a more "earnest" interest - even though there seems to be an overabundance of gringos there. It's almost as if I were a "target". People call me "gringo" and "americano" and try to speak English to me and a lot of the youths act like jerks like back home in the states. I can tell you one thing, there certainly is a different mindset betweeen the locals on the northcoast and the interiors, and with the youths even more.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob,
    It's not just you they are doing it to. Try this suggestion. http://www.dr1.com/forums/412297-post4.html

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading that......but I cant associate with you...my GF will disown me... ha ha ha ha.......I can hear it now...vIIIejito!!!!!!!!!

bob

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast