those dammm motorcycle drivers in the DR

Sep 19, 2005
I am thinking this is just something that happens to a gringo or tourist..but maybe it happens to dominicans as well....I havent seen it happen to anyone but myself, and that has been about 10 times so far...as you cross the street a motorscooter guy is coming fast....you get across in front of him...or it could be you let him pass before you continue.. and as soon as he is right next to you or JUST past you he slams the brakes on,....and skids...for about 4 or 5 feet and then he is off again....I think he is doing it to startle me or try to scare me....The tire skidding is pretty loud and sudden......There never is any other reason i can see why they do it....there is no other vehicle they are trying to avoid...it has been in the wide open road with plenty of room.......I guess it is their little cheap way to have fun at the gringos exspense......it worked a little one time.......I thought there was an accident.... and turned real quick...and there he goes on in the open road....I kinda expect it most times now

anyone else have this happen to them.....or see it done to someone who isnt native to the country.

bob

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
bob, you're just not playing along. The next thing that is supposed to happen is that you THEN squeal out and follow them down the road, get right behind them, and then apply your horn in a long, steady blast. (assuming that there is a clear road to do so)

The winner of the "game" is the one with the smallest brown stripe in their shorts - you , or him. Once you start playing this game in this way, it then becomes fun. Good luck.

CG4522

Dec 19, 2006
That isn't always true. Most of my time in the DR was spent on foot in the poorest areas, and it is very common for some jerk on a motor to go as fast and as close to you as possible when there is a wide open street.

I am just very glad when I did have a truck I was driving around the Capital and not out in the Campo.

Sep 19, 2005
bob, you're just not playing along. The next thing that is supposed to happen is that you THEN squeal out and follow them down the road, get right behind them, and then apply your horn in a long, steady blast. (assuming that there is a clear road to do so)

The winner of the "game" is the one with the smallest brown stripe in their shorts - you , or him. Once you start playing this game in this way, it then becomes fun. Good luck.

gringo carlos.....my GF has domesticated me...I am not allowed to get violent, or go off on a bender, or even raise my voice when some one is ripping me off when she is present....It embarrasses her... ha ha ha ha....sooooo I am trying to be a good boy. I seldom run people over with my SUV anymore and it is never anyone younger than about 16 or over 65 ish..... she embarasses easily...

like when I play my Emma Shapplin CD, she rolls up her window and tilts her seat back so no one can see her in the car... ha ha ha

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not too much you can do in the face of ignorance. Of course you stand out like a sore thumb any place you go, so this can be just a stupid game....

Personally, I have not seen it, although it sounds sooo Dominican teenager...

Oh well....

HB

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i've seen it happen to other people but not to me. maybe i have that "i'll beat your a*s pend**o" look on my face but only when i'm by myself.
if i'm with one of my dominican female friends they don't let me get confrontational either. i guess it's because i'm just a visitor and she has to live there...

C

Chip00

Motor

As someone who used to live in the campo in Moca and a barrio in Santiago I have personally never seen it. However, if you live on the north coast I would not doubt this happening based on the fact that the youth are certainly more "unrestrained" with some certain elements downright obnoxious from my experience. It's funny, most of the time in the "interior" people just ignore me even though I'm a typically gringo but when I go to the north coast I'm aware of a more "earnest" interest - even though there seems to be an overabundance of gringos there. It's almost as if I were a "target". People call me "gringo" and "americano" and try to speak English to me and a lot of the youths act like jerks like back home in the states. I can tell you one thing, there certainly is a different mindset betweeen the locals on the northcoast and the interiors, and with the youths even more.

Sep 19, 2005
I remember reading that......but I cant associate with you...my GF will disown me... ha ha ha ha.......I can hear it now...vIIIejito!!!!!!!!!

bob

BAMullins

Oct 28, 2004
www.dominicancrossroads.com
It's like a stupid game they play. I've seen it over and over again. They'll pass on a curve, nearly head-on somebody and then turn and laugh about it. I wouldn't recommend trying to get even... you will never win.

C

Chip00

Wheresabouts?

Can anybody tell me where this is happening? I honestly can't ever remember seeing that happen here in Santiago or Moca and I've lived here a combined year and a half or more.

Sep 19, 2005
well I am sure it depends on what you look like .....I am a big gringo ....so maybe that makes me a bigger target for these guys little escapades....because they are gone in a flash and figure Ill never come after them or catch up to them...if you were a woman or a girl...I seriously doubt they would do it to you.....

It has happened to me a few times in Li Cey..and the rest in Santiago....because we shop a lot there.......I dont think it has happened to me in Sosua...mainly because there, it doesnt seem like I walk many places where the motorcycles get up enough speed to make the effect they are looking for........

I seldom sit home..we are always on the go doing something...traveling around....so it may be a combination of exposure as well........

bob

Sep 19, 2005
one of the biggest dangers i think are the Motorcycles without lights.....

I think it would be way cheaper for the goverment to just open a place that puts free lights on any motorcycle that comes in...rather than repititously confiscate and return........that would be a HUGE burden for most of those people to loose their biggest investment after the place they live in......

IMAGINE for a second what traffic would be like if 75% of the motorcycles owners had cars to drive........insane gridlock..........

bob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
howmar, you cracked me up with your story....

i see those motoconchistos doing their trick in POP all the time. minovio seems to play his own game, he puts a throttle down (we have a big car) and never EVER slows down. that makes an unfortunate motoconchisto drive to the curve in panic.

minovio's theory is that some motoconcho drivers want to "bump" into you, especially if you slow down (less risk of a serious injury for them) then rob you, threaten with a lawsuit, demand money, whatever else.

i do not know if that is true...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
exactly, minovio is also very white. i fear when i start driving i will be an object of a motoconcho hunt....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
And they ought to keep them when thier confiscated.. Great way for the Gov't to make more money.

i figured out another financial support for the government. why not sell confiscated cocaine? people want that and it seems such a waste to burn it, or whatever is done with it. quick way to make a few bucks for the budget...

:devious:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I thought they took the lights and mirrors off so they won't get broken:eek:gre:

Bob K