STI to Cabarete Transport -- other options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rstonk

Dec 20, 2006
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to plan a trip to Cabarete this March from NYC, via Santiago International Airport (STI) -- the airfare is really cheap. I see that most of you recommend a $70+ taxi, but I wanted to know if there were other options for transportation (guaguas, etc.?). I would prefer to go straight from STI to Cabarete, but if I must go into Santiago city, or catch a connection in Puerto Plata, then that's okay.

Basically, I don't want to spend all the money I save by flying into STI vs. POP on a cab from STI to Cabarete.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm excited!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Taxi's still the best recommendation... arrange in advance and you can have them meet you at the airport (or should be able to find one there that will take you). Total time, about 1:45 minutes via Moca/Jamao route.

Guagua... oh lord, 4-5 hours with them stopping every 1/4 mile, plus switching vehicles along the way. Confusing at best, whole vacation spent trying to get there at worst.

Bus... is probably close to 3 hours with taxi into Santiago, wait for next bus, have to stop in Pto Plata, then on to Sosua, where you then need to take a taxi or guagua to Cabarete. Probably save $15-$20.

There's a reason for the taxi recommendation :cheeky:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
If you are traveling alone, chances are you may be able to find somebody looking to split the taxi ride to Sosua or Cabarete.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You really need to look at how much you are saving by flying into STI. Sometimes the reduced cost of flying into STI is not worth the trouble. I know from experience. I only fly into STI because there is limited service to POP from my home airport.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a car/taxi from tour operator company (lots of them offer this service) will cost about 100 US dollars for a round trip (STI-hotel, hotel-STI). the best way if you want a direct transport, with no confusion of bus changes. remember that on holiday time is also money...
have fun in DR...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Alternatives

Surprised they haven't given you the URL of Welcome To Paradise Transportation
Just ask them how much. See if it is worth it. They are totally safe and speak English.
Next option: Take a taxi to town, to the Caribe Tours station in Los Jardines...no place else!! About $15/RD$450.
You can change money close by at a Marco's Cambio...

Catcha bus to Sos?a and then a taxi ($30/40) to Cabarete...

You need help, just lemme know...

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.