Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to Best Bring Electronics into the DR

DR1 Members:

First, a hearty thanks to all of you who have posted, for I have learned much by reading what you have written.

Here is my question: what is the best manner by which to bring in from the United States to the DR electronic equipment worth about 1500 dollars? Should I just put it in a suitcase or carry on and bring it in that way? Anyone know what the rules are governing taxes and other issues connected with doing that? Should I use a shipping agent? All of the equipment can fit in a suitcase or larger carry on. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

depends what kind of electronics.

dvd player if it's only one they won't bother
    laptop they won't bother

and if it's something not big or if you bringing several electronic items
    on same trip then perhaps you can give "tip" anywhere from $8-20 US dollars.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your reply. they are items that are similar to telephones. about 5 of them.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure it is in your suitcase, not in a box. They must open all cartons. Just give the guy $5 if he starts to open your bag up.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

One time we had a friend bring in a power point projector in a backpack which was a carry-on. He put his suitcases through x-ray but not the backpack. Nobody bothered him.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobandjudy View Post
    One time we had a friend bring in a power point projector in a backpack which was a carry-on. He put his suitcases through x-ray but not the backpack. Nobody bothered him.
    At the Santiago Airport they x-ray EVERYTHING, including the small bag some people wear around their waist.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Santiago just depends. I came through the 15th with 2 large suitcases + 2 carry on at about 10PM. Waived through with many others. Did not check anything. Time before that about a month ago xrayed all.