Checking into a Hotel

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
When checking into a hotel how many people actually go inspect the room before paying the bill at the reception desk?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
That's not my bag, I may leave the country on 15 minute's notice, and really do not want to have a week's "Pre-Paid" accommodations.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That's not my bag, I may leave the country on 15 minute's notice, and really do not want to have a week's "Pre-Paid" accommodations.

This is how it works for me at just about every hotel I have stayed at in the DR. I get a reduced rate by paying in $USD in advance. On one occasion I had to check out early and was refunded my money, but I was charged nightly at the regular rate. I have done this from the sleezy Hotel Europa in Sosua to the Jaragua Hotel in Santo Domingo.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
what does it matter how many people go check the room before you check in?
Could you expand on your thoughts a bit?

Just curious as I often read of individuals who are not pleased with the hotel room after checking in. I just think it easier to take a look at the room before signing on the dotted line. If you are not happy with the room you have a chance of the hotel upgrading your room at no extra cost. It has happened to me.

And what's the theory behind giving a discount for paying ahead of time, as opposed to when you check out.?

I would agree with rellosk
It probably cuts down on no-shows and last minute cancellations.

Granted, there are hotels that want you to pay up front, mainly due to past experiences dealing with natives that have been known to stay and skip, but at most large hotels, they request a credit card only to print a voucher in case you skip town, but you pay the bill when you leave.

Quite a few of the larger hotels in SDO offer a prepay discount. I got a room at Jaragua prepay for under $100. I also got a room at Mercure prepay for under $60.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
I've been offered a discount if I pay cash at my hotel in Santo Domingo. Is this common as well?

Kaki

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I've been offered a discount if I pay cash at my hotel in Santo Domingo. Is this common as well?

Kaki

This is pretty much common practice especially with the smaller hotels. Nothing better than $USD cash!

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
When I stay at Puerto Plata Beach Resort I always check the room first. I need a refrigerator, working plumbing, working air, etc. Front dest doesn't always know what is in each apt.