Rubi..

oniblast

Apr 26, 2003
I know there have been many threads about Porfirio Rubirosa (Not the DR1 poster) but there are some questions I just gotta ask. Maybe Joel or Mirador can answer as they seem to be well knowledgeable of the Trujillo era.

1- What ever happened to Rubi's possesions?

Everything that was given to him by his wifes as part of the divorce settlements.

2- Any relative still alive?

3- Did he ever have any offsprings? maybe unrecognized...

I just want to stick to these for now..I know lots have been said about him already but these particular doubts I couldn't clear up by reading old posts.

O

oniblast

Apr 26, 2003
Some other questions..

I know there have been many threads about Porfirio Rubirosa (Not the DR1 poster) but there are some questions I just gotta ask. Maybe Joel or Mirador can answer as they seem to be well knowledgeable of the Trujillo era.

Everything that was given to him by his wifes as part of the divorce settlements.

I just want to stick to these for now..I know lots have been said about him already but these particular doubts I couldn't clear up by reading old posts.

O

4- Parents name?

5- Ali Khan??

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
I heard there was going to be a movie about him starring Antonio Banderas as rubirosa, whatever happened ? anyone knows?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I am know his nephew, his brother's son.
He says that Profirio had no children, as he was rendered sterile by having contracted mumps.

Sep 20, 2003
Rubirosa

O

I left most of my Rubirosa biographical material behind in the United States. I'm having many of my Trujillo Era books shipped to me now, I'll be able to better answer your questions in mid January. I'll answer your questions as best I can, but the information is from memory, so I suppose I will make a few mistakes.

Rubirosa's estate? Well, as for the personal belongings, like his red polo helmet and wardrobe, I don't know. As far as his estate goes, I don't really think there was that much left when he died. I don't remember the full details, but I do have the estimates written down somewhere. I'll post it next month.

Rubirosa owned a beautiful house in a posh district of Paris. He had a collection of art and antiques. Rubirosa received huge divorce settlements from some of his ex-wives, not to mention all the gifts he given while married. One of his American wives even bought him a B-29 bomber to use as a private plane. He raked in millions(10's of millions by today's standards) but he spent it almost as quickly as he was given it. I remember Trujillo bullied him into some kind of land deal in the last few months of El jefe's life and Rubirosa lost all of the money he poured into it.

When he died,he was married to an extremely young and beautiful French girl. She didn't have any money of her own. Rubi's friends worried openly about him. "What will Rubi do for money in a couple of years when he is broke?" Rubi was way past his prime by the 1960's. Marriage to another wealthy American seemed highly unlikely. He lived extravagantly and refused to economize at the end of his life. He was already selling off the art collection piece by piece. If Rubi would have economized, I mean lived the life of an upper middle-class Parisian, he could have lived out his life in comfort. But that wasn't Rubirosa's way of living. I don't remember what his estate was worth after he died. Undoubtably the house in Paris was worth a small fortune all by itself. Rubirosa totaled the silver Ferrari when he died. As far as cash goes, I don't remember. It wasn't much. The divorce settlements had already been squandered.

The last wife got what was left. She is still alive. She is married to an American and currently lives in New England. She does not give interviews.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
Relatives.

Rubirosa's father and mother were Dominican elites. His father was an army general. He was also a lawyer and had one of the best legal libraries(Dalloz) in the country. The father was another one of the country's boy generals. He was heavily involved in fighting all over the island. One of rubirosa's first memories(so he claimed) was when he was three years old and wondering through his parent's large home. It was in the early morning and many of his father's soldiers were sleeping in rooms throughout the house, including his father's library. He remembers the rifles, pistols, machetes, leather boots and ammo belts of the soldiers.

Eventually his father was posted as a diplomat to(from memory) Trinidad, perhaps it was another Caribbean island. Later, the family was sent to France were Rubirosa's father again held a diplomatic post.

I don't remember the names of the parents. I'll post that when I get my books.

Rubirosa had no children. Neither did Flor de Oro. "Mumps"? Hhhhmmmm. I guess Rubirosa did claim that. I read in an interview with Flor de Oro that claimed something different.

At least two of Rubirosa's relatives would be involved in the regime. One of his cousins was a gangster in New York City. Rubirosa recruited him(allegedly) to murder some prominent Dominican exiles in the mid 1930's. Only one of the exiles was successfully killed. The son of a murdered Dominican warlord was gunned down in Manhatten. The cousin escaped to the Dominican Republic and Trujillo made him an officer in the Dominican Army. When the American government pressed for extradition, El Jefe had him killed(allegedly). Rubirosa did nothing to save his cousin's life. When Flor de Oro asked about him, Rubirosa told her never to mention that "lowlife's" name again.

One of Rubirosa's nephews was a friend of Ramfis Trujillo. He was implicated in the massacre of Trujillo's assassins the day before Ramfis fled into exile. The nephew, after El Jefe's assassination, became one of Ramfis's closest friends. Flor remembers him having a closet full of machine guns and was telling her of plans for a coup against President Balaguer. He escaped into exile after Ramfis fled the country.

Last edited:

oniblast

Apr 26, 2003
Indian Prince...

Do you mean the Aga Khan?? Or are you asking about the polo playing Indian prince?

Thank you for the info...I look forward to the details.

I believe Ali Khan was an Indian prince who studied with Rubirosa and became good friends. He was also known as a playboy and died in a car crash as well. Supposedly he was the one who taught Rubi of some mental practice to postpone ejaculation.

Any details on this character?

I guess I'll wait for you to have your books so you can provide with more details.

Thanx in advance

O

Sep 20, 2003

I believe Ali Khan was an Indian prince who studied with Rubirosa and became good friends. He was also known as a playboy and died in a car crash as well. Supposedly he was the one who taught Rubi of some mental practice to postpone ejaculation.

I guess I'll wait for you to have your books so you can provide with more details.

Thanx in advance

O

Rubirosa went to a posh private school in Paris, France. Rubirosa was a poor student. However, the school was an elite one and he met the young Indian Prince at the school he attended. They were classmates and boyhood friends.

I have two magazines(Look) that have interviews with Flor de Oro. I believe it was the only time she ever wrote about her experiences. Rubirosa gave a series of interviews to a French newspaper at about the same time(weeks before his death). He version of events is much less candid(well, let's be honest, entirely self serving). The interviews/articles by Flor de Oro are pure TNT.

I can fill in the details on the murders and assassinations if you like.

By the way, Rubirosa was ,most likely, a cold blooded murderer. Rubirosa's story is not an entirely pleasant one. He was much more than just a harmless playboy. I think many will be disappointed when they hear everything.

Do you still want to hear more?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Ogre of the Caribbean any truth to the rumor that he was hung like a horse and that was one reason for his success with women????:eek: :eek:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Ogre of the Caribbean any truth to the rumor that he was hung like a horse and that was one reason for his success with women????:eek: :eek:

hahahah size does not always a successful sexual relationship make.
it must have been that along with his charisma and gallant ways, there has to be a combination of those elements. :smoke:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
it must have been that along with his charisma and gallant ways, there has to be a combination of those elements. :smoke:

I did say one reason and of course besides the one's you stated I am sure many others, but it helps.:laugh:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006

Thanx in advance

O

You see guys this is what I was talking about. Very interesting.

Hidalgo, yes I see, you did say, one reason.

oniblast

Apr 26, 2003
I can fill in the details on the murders and assassinations if you like.

By the way, Rubirosa was ,most likely, a cold blooded murderer. Rubirosa's story is not an entirely pleasant one. He was much more than just a harmless playboy. I think many will be disappointed when they hear everything.

Do you still want to hear more?

Please enlight me...

assasinations? he murdered anyone?
What were his direct relatives names?

oniblast

Apr 26, 2003
True

Not to get out of the subject....What you say is true...but I got to say this...

"No importa lo grande ni lo grueso sino el tiempo que dure tieso"

Just a joke :p

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Not to get out of the subject....What you say is true...but I got to say this...

"No importa lo grande ni lo grueso sino el tiempo que dure tieso"

Just a joke :p

hahahahh :p you are a wise woman ?? :p

very very true, y "no es el tamano(depende que tan chiquito sea) que importa si no lo que hace con el"

sorry back to your topic. I read a biography of Rubirosa a while back, I have to go dig to see who wrote it, I'll let you know later.

Sep 20, 2003
There are several biographies of Rubirosa out there. I saw one published in the DR that was really just a collection of the interviews he gave to a French newspaper.

I have a new one written by Shawn Levy that is alright. He writes for Vanity Fair and has written several biographies on the Rat Pack. He is a tabloid writer. His book had a number of factual errors in it. And he adds information that did not come from the sources. Such as his comments on Adolf Hitler's behavior at the Olympics. Flor de Oro, Rubirosa, and Hitler sat in the same box and watched some of the events together. Yes, Hitler shared his stadium box with two "black" people.

The biography is light reading. Overall I thought the book was pretty good. But it could have easily been better.

Levy does go into graphic detail about Rubirosa's penis(did I just type that?). One desribed it as "Yul Brenner wearing a black turtle neck". Yes, it was huge. One his wedding night to Flor de Oro, Flor was frightened and refused to have sex with him. Doris Duke, a sex crazed ding bat, told her long suffering nephew that it was the width of the thick end of a baseball bat. I'm not going to continue with this. If you want any more information about his Rubirosa's penis, just read one of the books.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
ok the book I read is called Rubi "la vida de Porfirio Rubirosa" by Pablo Clase, hijo. I'll have to reread it, its been a few years since I read it.

Sep 20, 2003
ok the book I read is called Rubi "la vida de Porfirio Rubirosa" by Pablo Clase, hijo. I'll have to reread it, its been a few years since I read it.

Please post some of the information from that book. I'm always interested to know what Dominican writers have to say.