Printers and such

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I am now finally coming on February 1st... tentatively relocating... giving it 6 months or so... "kick the tires"... se how I take it.

So I will come in "lite"... just two suitcases... rental apartment.

I will bring a laptop computer.
QUESTION: What about printers? I can buy one cheap here (I'm presently in Florida)... but how about ink. Should I buy a printer in the DR instead, after checking on the availability of ink and if so where (around POP)?

Thanks! ... J-D. Sauser

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I am now finally coming on February 1st... tentatively relocating... giving it 6 months or so... "kick the tires"... se how I take it.

QUESTION: What about printers? I can buy one cheap here (I'm presently in Florida)... but how about ink. Should I buy a printer in the DR instead, after checking on the availability of ink and if so where (around POP)?

Thanks! ... J-D. Sauser

CeduComp on Calle Antera Mota in POP carries major brands of printers and supplies, such as HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon.

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
We've done both...in Sept 2004, we brought a printer in, a HP 3820. Customs opened up our suitcase. We explained that it was personal and used. They let us go. Since then, we bought a HP 3940 at PriceSmart in Santiago for about $70 US (2300 pesos). We buy B&W cartridges for it at EcoToner at Int'l Mall in Santiago, costs 690 pesos each, about $21 US. Cartridge price can vary greatly (PriceSmart sells them for 865).

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
We've done both...in Sept 2004, we brought a printer in, a HP 3820. Customs opened up our suitcase. We explained that it was personal and used. They let us go. Since then, we bought a HP 3940 at PriceSmart in Santiago for about $70 US (2300 pesos). We buy B&W cartridges for it at EcoToner at Int'l Mall in Santiago, costs 690 pesos each, about $21 US. Cartridge price can vary greatly (PriceSmart sells them for 865).

You guys are FAST!
OK... sounds like buying there if you can get a printer there for under a 100 Dolars.

Thanks a lot to you both! ... J-D.

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
J-D, let me add that while we are satisfied with the HP 3940, the BW cartridges for it (#21) do not last that long. We don't do big printings on it (50 copies) like we did the 3820.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

Thanks! ... J-D. Sauser

Here's my story. About three weeks ago I went to SAMANEL, on Avenida R?mulo Betancourt, Bella Vista, to get replacement ink cartridges for my children's LEXMARK printer. After paying at the counter I noticed that the exact same printer was on sale. The LEXMARK printer was for sale for half of what I paid for the ink cartridges! I demanded to know what was going on, and the sales lady said that the ink cartridges in the printer only came half full. Days later I saw a newspaper ad selling the exact same printer at another store, for about one third of what I paid for the ink cartridges!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Here's my story. About three weeks ago I went to SAMANEL, on Avenida R?mulo Betancourt, Bella Vista, to get replacement ink cartridges for my children's LEXMARK printer. After paying at the counter I noticed that the exact same printer was on sale. The LEXMARK printer was for sale for half of what I paid for the ink cartridges! I demanded to know what was going on, and the sales lady said that the ink cartridges in the printer only came half full. Days later I saw a newspaper ad selling the exact same printer at another store, for about one third of what I paid for the ink cartridges!

Lexmark is know for pulling that type of marketing with low priced printers. I've seen them do that all over the world like in Europe, and the States.
The lady you mmention was very honest... yes, those cartriges are only about half full or even less.
In Spain I once bought 6 of those deals at once... and bottom line was I paid about the same as if had only bought full size cartriges... but I gave 5 of the printers away to customers... without cartriges and they were very happy. So that makes a deal a lot of happy people. :cheeky:

... J-D.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
A little secret that was told to me by my friend at the computer store I shop in in Romana. Buy the bottles of ink of the 4 different colors, black, red, yellow and blue. Purchase 4 hypos, one for each color. When your cartridge runs out pull it out and inject about 2 ml of ink directly into the ink pad.

Each bottle of ink is good for about 8 refills and cost about 80 pesos. The hypo cost 5 pesos. For 85 pesos I refill my cartridges at least 8 times which is a savings of 3,515 pesos.

Been doing this for over a year now with no problems.

Rick

Edited to add;

When the color cartridge runs out I inject 1 1/2 ml of each color into the corresponding ink pad. Blue in blue, yellow in yellow and red in red.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Printers are pretty much a loss leader. They're looking to make their money on the aftermarket cartriges. This is a factory issue, not a retail one, so not much your friendly neighbourhood computer shop can do about that.

There are kits sold all over the place (Plaza Central has a computer outfit that sells them, if I'm not mistaken) for refilling your cartridges. The manufacturers warn you that print quality will suffer, but I haven't seen any deterioration of same. MAYBE if you were working on really high end stuff, but for printing pictures for your friends, it's more than sufficient.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would suggest that you bring you ink, if possible. However, it is all available here and is easy to find...

HB

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Jd

A little secret that was told to me by my friend at the computer store I shop in in Romana. Buy the bottles of ink of the 4 different colors, black, red, yellow and blue. Purchase 4 hypos, one for each color. When your cartridge runs out pull it out and inject about 2 ml of ink directly into the ink pad.

Each bottle of ink is good for about 8 refills and cost about 80 pesos. The hypo cost 5 pesos. For 85 pesos I refill my cartridges at least 8 times which is a savings of 3,515 pesos.

Been doing this for over a year now with no problems.

Rick

Edited to add;

When the color cartridge runs out I inject 1 1/2 ml of each color into the corresponding ink pad. Blue in blue, yellow in yellow and red in red.

This is VERY GOOD ADVICE..I also do the same thing..And as Rick said look at what you are saving.!!!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Gracias!

It's all very good advice. I will buy my printer in the DR based on the cartriges and re-fill kits available.

Thanks and happy holidays to you all.... I hope I will have the privilege to meet some of you from February on.
... J-D.

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
I am introducing an automatic Ink refilling machine to the Dominican Republic which is going save people about 50% or more in ink. I am hoping that it is going be a success, but what to do you think? The machine is very expensive, though, about 35K