Kobi Rent SA in Perla Marina

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I am just about to place a reservation for a one month car rental with KOBI RENT SA out of Perla Marina. On their web site they display very competitive rates (inluding taxes and insurances) and they seem a serious company.
But before I commit myself I would like to ask here about their reputation(?)

Thanks! ... J-D.

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
hope so too

Indeed, I would like to know too, 'cause we booked a toyota rav, 3 week rental with them in February 07. Still, nothing is paid yet, so all info very welcome...
Katrien

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Well, based on my search, this is not the only time the question was asked... and left basically un answered. It would seem that they are of German decent... so maybe this explains why noboy on here would have had any experiences with them. they are mentinoned on the Swiss-Dominican forum (domrep.ch) ... but only briefly.
I will try them and I will post my experience on here so the next ones will have the answer I was hoping for.

Thanks! ... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
thanks!
When will you be needing their services?
Katrien

I have just sent them my reservation today for a one month rental starting February 1st.
I will post as soon as I can after my arrival, especially if it would be a negative.
Previously I have asked them very clear questions about their included insurance(s), since this is part of what makes them so competitive, and their answer was most positive and detailed.

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I wrote I would report back.... so, here it is:

I will try them and I will post my experience on here so the next ones will have the answer I was hoping for.

Thanks! ... J-D.

So, as promised I am posting a first report.
I just arrived at POP today (Feb 1st) and sure enough I was greeted at the the airport by a Lady with a sign with my name on. Very friendly... approached me in English... turns out she's Swiss (German speaking) and her partner is German. She had the car (a 3 year old Kia 4 door with AC and automatic) with her, and off we drove to their place just East of Sosua... with a little stop at the new Bavarian butcher on the way out'a Sosua ;).
Simple little contract... not passport taking... price and deposit as discussed.
So, so far everything is just fine :)

I hope this is of help to someone.
... J-D.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
What's the price for that?
I have rented before from KAYAK rentals along the Malecon in POP and it was short term, the cheapest I could find at 40$perday... Brand new car too.
: p.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
What's the price for that?
I have rented before from KAYAK rentals along the Malecon in POP and it was short term, the cheapest I could find at 40$perday... Brand new car too.
: p.

I do not know for sure if the Forum will allow me to post their web site. Their prices start at USD29.oo/day for monthly rentals including insurances. I would suggest you do an internet surch for "KOBI rent SA Sosua". I found them over a Swiss-Domincan forum and there has been an inquiery about them earlier on this Forum.

... J-D.

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Reliable Kobi Rent

Dear J D Sauser,

Thank you very much for the feedback.
We'll be arriving the 19th this month. I'm very happy to hear that everything is going smoothly with them. If you have any more news, I'm all ears!
By the way, did you also pay your deposit in cash? Seems a bit weird to me. Normaly a deposit is waived if you leave your visa number, no?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Dear J D Sauser,

Thank you very much for the feedback.
We'll be arriving the 19th this month. I'm very happy to hear that everything is going smoothly with them. If you have any more news, I'm all ears!
By the way, did you also pay your deposit in cash? Seems a bit weird to me. Normaly a deposit is waived if you leave your visa number, no?

Kobi is not Hertz, Visa or Alamo... they are a private operation. The way I see it, they own a couple of cars registered to their LLC and rent them out privately. This allows them to be cheaper than big rent a car companies.
I did not ask if they take cards as I assumed they wouldn't and I do not like to waive my cards around too much in the DR (for the higher risk of frauds). So, I paid all, rent and 250.oo deposit (which is half of the insurance copay) with traveler checks... which is same as cash. Keep in mind that if you would have an accident you would have to add the other half of the co-pay.
I hope to see my deposit back... they sure do hope to see their car back too.
They are a very friendly Swiss/German couple and I do not expect problems (not because of their origins but because of how the operate).

I will be picking my kids up at POP coming from MIA on February 19th... so maybe we'll bump into each other.

In anyway, I wish you a good stay here in the DR.

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
OK, in case anybody wondered and to close this little story off:

I have by the end of February returned the car to Kobi. Except for the last at which I incidentally also had to get my kids to POP airport the car performed flawlessly. As the devil is in the detail, the people of Kobi where abroad in Santo Domingo and asked me to seek technical help since I speak Spanish. Half of downtown Puerto Plata helped push the car to a shop a couple of blocks further, which slightly dammaged the front of the car as they ran me with all the well meant energy into a ditch they could't see from behind and I coudn't break without the engine. As I did not have the time (trip to the airport) I left the car there without asking too much. The next day Andre of Kobi came to pick me up at my rental apartment in Sosua, which I was also suposed to vacate that day and generously helped me move my stuff to my new location in Puerto Plata. Then we drove to the shop. They paid for an over priced repair bill without coment, for which I felt a bit ashamed (I should have done better, and would have if I only had had the time) and we drove back to their location in Sosua. I was refunded my deposit without any hassle or discussion even though they where not too happy about the damaged front spoiler.
As if this wasn't enough, they apologised for not having being able to be of assistance that particular day.

Bottom line, as I am not allowed to recomend them here on this forum, I will just say that I would use them anytime again.

... J-D.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Bottom line, as I am not allowed to recomend them here on this forum, I will just say that I would use them anytime again.

... J-D.

Of course you may recommend a good business and a good customer support experience. Everyone welcomes that. It is the spam that we clean up, not an honest and real recommendation to a good business and exemplary service. I hope they increase their business because of this story :classic: