Fumigation - preventative mainenance

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I did a search and can't find this covered anywhere.

We all know living in a tropical paradise comes with a few pests specifically cucharachas & spiders. (yuck) So, we fumigate to keep the issue under control.

After discussions with several others who live here, we could not come up with the needed answers to this:

IS there a recommended schedule for fumigating?

Do you do the inside and outside of a house each and every time?

What products or chemicals are recommended?

Thanks in advance!

aim2dr

Nov 17, 2006
We were told the first fumigation lasted around twenty days, and then another was required to eliminate, or begin the process again. They didn't state if it was need monthly or not, but it couldn't hurt with all of the insects we have. The 700 pesos we paid would be comparable to what you would pay in the States. Hope this helps a little.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Structural fumigation is different from garden fumigation. Wooden houses require something different from block houses etc etc so first decide which pests you want to eliminate (winged, crawling, 8 legged, 2 legged ;) ) and go from there.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The house is cement block, with a small garden area. We started spraying regularly - meaning every couple of months. But, we are just not sure how often it should be done. It is mainly the cucharachas. Yuck.

As for the 2 legged pests - I think I need a gun or a really big body guard......

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Cockroaches.

The house is cement block, with a small garden area. We started spraying regularly - meaning every couple of months. But, we are just not sure how often it should be done. It is mainly the cucharachas. Yuck.

As for the 2 legged pests - I think I need a gun or a really big body guard......

Hey Planner! You may be surprised to learn that cockroaches hate "Catnip"!
If you sprinkle some behind the stove, fridge, they will not hide there. We always put a pinch or so in clothes storage drawers. We also fumigate every 3 months, inside & out. We bring the catnip down from Canada as it is hard to find here. Also, keep your kitchen/garbage areas scrupulously clean.....Canadian Bob

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Use Diazinol (sp?) available at the Veterinary store. Mix in a carry-around spray container, wear rubber gloves, and fine spray your foundation, all entrance ways on the ground and one foot up. Then do a "base-board jockey" run up the stairs, around the rooms. Finally, spray the ceilings at the corners and join of walls, and tablillos (louvers) if you've got them.
Repeat every 90 days. Takes one hour, and a dead-zone is created across which no one but fly-ins can tread.
Sweep carcasses out daily, and pick up fly-ins by the antennae and flip them outside.

If you've been infested by cockroaches, sprinkle boric acit in all crawl spaces, under/behind draweres, stoves, cabinets, etc., where it can't be seen and where it will stay dry. Mamas and Papas walking through it will carry it home on the hair of their legs and the little ones will injest it while grooming -- then explode. I've used this method for more than 50 years. It's one time only when taking a new residence.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks for all the ideas. We don't have an infestation. We are most interested in creating the barrier to keep the buggers out. We have had the property fumigated and find carcasses around the outside of the property and in the garage. I am wondering how often we need to respray.

As for keeping around the stove and fridge extra clean - Canadian Bob, no problem I hardly every cook!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I always washed everything down with Clorox on a daily basis, floors, counter tops etc. and I never had a cockroach. I also didn't have screens on my windows and never had any problems with any other type of insect, either. It takes a while to get used to the smell of bleach on a daily basis, but at least I slept well at nights and not in fear of creepy-crawlies!!!