How the GRINCH (La Sirena) Stole Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I was in La Sirena this afternoon when I noticed the woman in the checkout lane across from mine using some very different looking money. It was in the normal denominations of $100, $500, and $1,000 peso notes, but of a different size and colors.

Upon my buddy, who speaks Spanish and English, asking her about it, she said it was her Christmas bonus money, she worked for La Sirena.

The "Special" money can ONLY be used at La Sirena ofcourse.

So for those expecting to use the Christmas bonus for special items, they are S.O.L.

La Sirena reaps great savings by making the employees buy only at La Sirena. The cost to La Sirena of the merchandise is probably 50% or less of the selling price, thus in terms of expenses to La Sirena, they cut their outlay for employee Christmas bonuses at least in half. Pity the poor souls that wanted to buy something special or use the Christmas bonus for other things.

There is always someone figuring out a new way to screw the poor people of this country and increase the profits of the rich people.

Merry Christmas from the La Sirena Christmas Grinch.

Note: That is my personal interpretation of the events today..........

Don - SantiagoDR

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I don't know it just doesn't seem legal, but it is the DR. It is also possible the employees can buy the funny money. Let's say pay $1000 get $1500. They could also have an option of receiving $6000 RD bonus or $10000 funny money bonus. I hate to knock LaSirena, as I like to shop there, without knowing the real deal.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Isn't there a difference between the regal?a and the bonus? The regal?a (13th salary) is mandatory and probably should not be paid in vouchers, but the bonus is voluntary. So there may be a difference.

Also, if you were desperate to spend a couple of thousand pesos on something you can't get in La Sirena, there's bound to be a way of cashing in the coupons, perhaps with a colleague who plans to spend more money on stuff from the store.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I hate to knock LaSirena, as I like to shop there, without knowing the real deal.

It may be time to wake up on La Sirena, years ago it used to be the best and cheapest place to buy just about everything, which I did many years ago (Bed, TV, Stove, Refrigerator, Inverter, Furniture, Washer, etc). Now I seldom buy anythng there except food, and only if the price is lower than Nacional that is.

Greed has caught up to the great "La Sirena". Years ago also I used to find many people shopping there that came from all over the country because it was so cheap to buy there. I guess some people still do.

It would be nice if someone that is a "regular" employee from La Sirena posted the real story for us. I will attempt to find and ask other employees what are the facts with my Spanish friend's help. My interpretor relayed to me the information as he was told by the employee. We did not think to go into great detail, especially at the check out. Christmas bonus we just naturally took to mean the extra month's salary.

Don - SantiagoDR

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I would bet a lot that this money is additional to the 13th salary as the 13th salary is basically expected and mandatory by law (in legal tender). With the lawyers here I would bet you 100-1 this is the case, otherwise there would be a line of lawyers there tomorrow.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in poland it is normal that people get their xmas bonuses in vouchers to big supermarkets. they then stay half of the day at till offering the shoppers their vouchers in exchange for real cash, that presumably will be spent elsewhere. my mum always happily does the favour, since for her it does not matter how she pays for the shopping, but some folks are just mean and say "NO!".
every work place looks to cut costs, how do you think they generate profit? rich get richer stepping on toes of poor...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was in the La Sirena store in SF de Marcoris last Saturday. Unbelievable store, new, clean, very modern (even by US standards), 38 check-out lanes, bigger than many Super Wal Marts.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
every work place looks to cut costs, how do you think they generate profit? rich get richer stepping on toes of poor...
Darlin', I know you miss the Good Old Days, but those "toes of the poor" are the customers of those eeeevil rich CxA's. They HAVE to cut costs to keep prices where those "toes" can afford to shop there, and they can offer employees decent jobs*.

Prices at La Sirena would be much lower if it weren't for the onerous embedded taxes. Blame the government for bad tax policy for high consumer prices, not La Sirena management.

*I worked in grocery stores as a 13-16 y.o. kid. Back then, I woulda sold my mother to the Arabs to work on roller blades like they do at La Sirena. OSHA would have spasms about that in The United Nanny States.:p

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Don't Know What You Are Talking About!!!

The "La Sirena" Certificates you are talking about can be found in various ways,not just in the hands of "La Sirena" employees!! So before you go on a "Rant",why not get your "facts" straight!!!????
First,they can be purchased from "La Sirena" for cash,and given to anyone you please! (friends,family,workers,aaaanyone!) If you have a "La Sirena" customers card,you get "credit" towards free certificates for each purchase you make at "Pola",or "La Sirena"! After you accumulate enough "Points",you trade them in for "Certificates"!
Where I used to work,we gave each emloyee a Certificate for 500 pesos to "Pola/La Sirena" In ADDITION to their "Doble Sueldo"!!! Soooooooooooo,your "Christmas Rant" against "La Sirena" is not only unjustified,but shows your ignorance too!:p
"MERRY CHRISTMAS"

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC"TINY TIM"ccccccccccccccccccccccccc

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Darlin', I know you miss the Good Old Days, but those "toes of the poor" are the customers of those eeeevil rich CxA's. They HAVE to cut costs to keep prices where those "toes" can afford to shop there, and they can offer employees decent jobs*.

pssst, don't tell, i'd be the same, i am a heartless capitalist at heart...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
pssst, don't tell, i'd be the same, i am a heartless capitalist at heart...
:knockedou

I'm a "heartful" capitalist at heart. Any smart capitalist recognizes his best asset is his people. One must take great care with one's assets.:p

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
You will find that most Dominican workers, regardless of education level, are familiar with most of the Labor Code. Article 196 specifically prohibits payment in the form of cards, vouchers, certificates, other.
Art?culo 196.
Se proh?be el pago del salario mediante la expedici?n y entrega de fichas, vales, tarjetas, certificados u otras formas.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Since this is a La Sirena thread is the store located on Winston Churchill nicer than the store on Calle Mella. The La Sirena website list a multicentro located at Ave. Winston Churchill esq. Gustavo Mejia Ricard. I am taking a wild guess that this is Santo Domingo. It seems every city has the same street names so I could be wrong and the store could be somewhere else.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Since this is a La Sirena thread is the store located on Winston Churchill nicer than the store on Calle Mella. The La Sirena website list a multicentro located at Ave. Winston Churchill esq. Gustavo Mejia Ricard. I am taking a wild guess that this is Santo Domingo. It seems every city has the same street names so I could be wrong and the store could be somewhere else.

Never been to the one in the Capital but the La Sirena in Santiago is on Calle del Sol with an additional entrance on Treinta de Marzo. Winston Churchill sounds like the Capital to me.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Multicentro

Never been to the one in the Capital but the La Sirena in Santiago is on Calle del Sol with an additional entrance on Treinta de Marzo. Winston Churchill sounds like the Capital to me.

And there's another one on Bartolome Colon, in Santiago.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Since this is a La Sirena thread is the store located on Winston Churchill nicer than the store on Calle Mella. The La Sirena website list a multicentro located at Ave. Winston Churchill esq. Gustavo Mejia Ricard. I am taking a wild guess that this is Santo Domingo.

Yes, it is; and yes, it is. ;)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
And there's another one on Bartolome Colon, in Santiago.
That's the one where the stock guys scoot around on rollerblades, and has the inclined people mover going to the second floor.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Where I used to work,we gave each emloyee a Certificate for 500 pesos to "Pola/La Sirena" In ADDITION to their "Doble Sueldo"!!! Soooooooooooo,your "Christmas Rant" against "La Sirena" is not only unjustified,but shows your ignorance too!:p
"MERRY CHRISTMAS"

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC"TINY TIM"ccccccccccccccccccccccccc

So you retired??? Damn, I've been away from here for too long :laugh: ......

Tiny Tim my a$$, only if everyone else was 7 ft tall you'd be a tiny person, lol.......

Status
Not open for further replies.