Looking to travel to Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

jibs11

Dec 22, 2006
I have never been to the DR, but someone told me about Cabarete. I know there are many areas out there and seems like the east coast area is really developing. My sister and brother in law are moving to the Caribbean, possibly Belize. I wanted to move to the DR and open a small bakery, just wanted to get some feed back on all this.

Thanks.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Jibs,
I'll let someone else speak to your chances on the east coast, but Cabarete right now in my opinion is fairly saturated with small restaurants, including at least one bakery in the center of town that has been there for years, as well as a few decent sandwich shops. Finding space in the center of town where you'd have the most traffic isn't that easy now either.

Since you've never been to DR, I'd suggest you plan a few months just visiting/living/learning - even working for an existing bakery for US$1.50 an hour- before you commit to investing in a business and growing costly roots. There are many things you might not be taking into account including getting residency so you yourself are working legally, higher cost of equipment in DR, need for a generator to run you equipment at 5 a.m. when the lights are out, sourcing potable water for your cooking, locating your source of flour and other ingredients (you might not find the same items you are used to and need to modify your recipes), how to incorporate/file taxes/etc, language challenge with Dominicans you hire, how employee benefits work, and so many other things.

If you can't afford or don't think it makes sense to spend several months (or longer) just learning the environment before you make the move & start a business - then I'd suggest it's a really bad idea!

DR's a great place to be if you have money.
DR's a great place to be if you don't have money, but have set aside enough for your flight home when times get too rough.
DR's not a great place to be if you are on a shoestring budget and are investing much of your savings on a business that could very well fail.

If you've got sufficient funds... forget the bakery and enjoy the sun! :cool:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I agree on the bakery-type business prospects in Cabarete. It's the perfect place for one, but there are already two or three, and the town's not quite big enough for more. You mentioned the East Coast, not sure if you meant to also refer to Cabarete, which is considered the North Coast...but in the East (Punta Cana area) the idea of a nice little bakery/Coffe Shop sould possibly work. The area is literally exploding, and now with condos and apartments as opposed to only luxury hotels and McMansions. If you spend time in PC, check out an area called CORTECITO. There seems to be a young, hip ex-pat community growing there, perfect for your idea...

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
I've always thought that Cabarete could do with a Quizno's or Subway type place. Something fresh, healthy and quick.

For me the bakeries in Cabarete offer good bread options but mediocre fillings.

I would love to sit on the beach with something quick, good and with taste (referring to a Quizno's sub). Very bored with the hamburgers and regular grilled affair and the time off the beach for the over-priced restaurants to deliver (except Pomodoro, which I really like).

At this stage, if someone set up a decent falafel stand they would make a fortune out of me and a good friend for life.

CFA123 - Is spot on with the points regarding employment law and hidden costs. All is not that it seems. Keep $US500 for the flight home, but if you did a falafel stand and it was good but failed due to market demand, I will help you with the flight back.

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Lee,
Friends & Onno's both have good sandwiches at reasonable prices.
La Campagna's sandwiches are pretty good for a Dominican sandwich restaurant. And as much as I may malign Jose OShays for their high prices and mediocre food - when I crave a nice warm reuben with corned beef and saurkraut on rye, that's where I head.

Not sure how an 'American' style sub store would go over. I'm not going to encourage that way of thinking as I really don't look forward to the day when there is a McDonald's, Taco Bell, or Pizza Hut sign as you drive through Sosua or Cabarete.

I guess I have to try Pomodoro again. I stopped in there for lunch one day earlier this year and swore I'd never go back. The pizza was one of the worst I've ever had. Soggy crust, bland cheese, & horrible, runny tomato sauce.

jibs11

Dec 22, 2006
Store Front

Thanks for all the input, I was thinking more of a bakery/dessert shop. My wife wants to do a nice breakfast place. I know that on the east coast there are places like Cap Cana springing up, which are high end homes and resorts. We love to make sweats, pies, cookies, butlawa, sticky buns, etc. Not sure if that would go over or not. I do plan on coming to the DR, but not sure if I should check things out in Cabarete, east coast - guess I could do both. Look forward to more feedback.

Thanks!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Jibs,
My post wasn't meant to discourage you from the Cabarete area. I think it's a great little town - though to live there 365 days a year could be a little tedious.

You should definitely visit DR at least once before you think about moving and starting a business :rolleyes: and then, yes, several cities!

Spend months living in DR before you invest heavily or give up your current home or apartment. It's a different world for many, many reasons you can't fathom & those on this board could never fully explain. You just have to experience it - and I think we all continue to learn important things even after many years.

Of course, that's why most of us love the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.