Cabarete - Ocean Manor Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsel3

Dec 23, 2006
Greetings everyone! I couldn't be more excited to have found this website. I just came across a great opportunity for my hubby and I to trade into the Ocean Manor Resort in Cabarete. I "searched" and found some postings from Jan/Feb of 2006 about the resort still being under construction. I am encouraged that the posters felt it would be nice. We would be there in June of 2007. Was curious if anyone had any recent info on the resort. I have it on hold for a couple of days before we commit, I thought I'd see what I could find out. First of all, Cabarete sounds awesome as do all the great outings from there: Sousa, Playa Grande, cave exploring, snorkeling, and so on. We are in our mid-thirties and are active. We have never kite-surfed but are willing to give anything a try. We are hoping for a little of both worlds on this vacation. We definately want to relax a little in a nicer/quiet resort type setting, but we would love to be able to step out to some great water sports during the day and partying at night. This will be our first trip to the DR and have never really researched it up until today. Sounds like one definately wants to stay away from drinking the water. How is eating food in all the local restaurants? Will our weak little American tummies get sick? Mixed drinks with ice in all the beach bars okay? Will we be safe walking around in Cabarete or Sousa in the evening? Sorry to throw so many questions out there at once. I am doing as much reading and searching as quick as I can read. Look forward to hearing from you and thanks in advance!!
Angela

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
I have not stayed there but the construction seems to have been completed and the place fully operational. From the outside it looks beautiful and clearly they have poured alot of money into the place. It is about a 15-20 minute walk along the beach to get into the town and perfectly safe during the day. I would suggest however at night to take a cab as opposed to walking as the beach area is unlit and the stretch of road is not set up for walking along many of the stretches. Since it is on the outskirts of the town, its a little quieter than the downtown area but you are not exactly in the heart of the action. They have a restaurant on site and their website has a menu. I would suggest drinking only bottled water. There are many great little restaurants in Cabarete. Many posters have mentioned some of their favorites. We've never had any problems with any of the food making us ill. Keep in mind that you are in another country with its own unique culture which you'll have to adjust to. If you go with an open mind, can adapt to the culture of the location and have some flexibility, you will have a great time.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
This thread has a lot more than you might care to know about safety, but would be worth a browse.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/56534-how-safer-dr-compilation-tips-dr1-members.html

As far as the water goes: "I would suggest drinking only bottled water." I just make it a comittment not to let any tap water pass my lips. Keep your mouth closed in the shower; brush your teeth with bottled water; drink only bottled water. I'm sure that a lot of the time you can get away with it (tapwater) but to me it's not worth taking the chance.

Have a good trip -- this will probably be the first of many to the DR for you.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I'm sure that a lot of the time you can get away with it (tapwater) but to me it's not worth taking the chance.

QUOTE]

In my opinion - it is NEVER safe to drink the tap water. I have been here over 3 years and I will not drink the tap water.

The drinks and ice are safe in all the restaurants along the beach in Cabarete. As for your weak little American tummies, they will most likely react like all other tourist tummies. You will be eating foods you don't likely eat at home. YOu will most likely drink more then you drink at home. And you will throw in lots of sun and water fun to the mix. SO, you will most likely experience a bit of tummie problems. Bring some pepto and immodium with you. Excercise a little restraint and don't try to eat and drink everything in the first few days. Also many people have issues with the slushie drinks that have coconut milk or coconut oil in them. Go easy on those as well and it will help.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Three years ago a Dr. that used to work in Servi-Med in Cabarete went to several restaurants on the beach in Cabarete with a water content tester. He and another Dr. tested the water poured in these restaurants. He said that more than half tested were bad. They were pouring tap water.

Do not drink anything other than bottled water.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Ocean Mannor site

I was on the site last week to visit, it is very nice. Very clean plenty of employees. We asked the price for a 1 bath room they were asking $120 and for 2 baths $140 u.s. per night. The people at the front desk were also very nice.
Are you using time share??

kinsel3

Dec 23, 2006
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info so far everyone. Suzannel- yes we are trading in using our timeshare. Does that seem to matter in what units you get put in that you noticed?

Status
Not open for further replies.