Your opinions and suggestions on our itinerary

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Hi There,
My husband and I are coming to the DR from Mo. Feb 19. to Mo. March 12. Our main goal is to visit my brother who immigrated to La ci?naga (Bahoruco) below Barahona, but since we're kind of adventurous and love to travel, we intend to see a big part of the country. Only, we never travelled in a "poor" country before and so we would really apreciate your thoughts and suggestions on following trip. Also, if any of you has GPS tracks on our route, we d' be very gratefull. We'll be driving a Toyota RAV, that we booked at Kobi Rent through the internet.
Here it goes:
Arriving Puerto Plata, we go straight down to Jarabacoa where we would like to go rafting the next day. From here, a very long driving day through el Rio, Constanza, San Jos? de Ocoa and on the highway to Barahona and la Ci?naga. Staying here for a few days: trips to lake Enriquillo, Parque National Jaragua and Bahia de las Aguilas (possible with our car? any other idea's in the area?) Sunday carnaval celebrating where?
Then on to Bayahibe to go diving (any recommended diving centers?)
Off to Cabo Engano near Bavaro (would just love to stand on a deserted beach, while the area is bustling with ignorent tourists - and heard you find beautifull seashells there)
Up if possible taking the coast road? Or if not, inland and up to playa Lim?n, Punta del rey and Sabana de la Mar. Is it possible to visit the Parque Nacional Los Haitises?
Then it gets tricky: Can we get to Samana in one long day from Sabana de la Mar through Hato Mayor - Monte Plato - Sabana Grande de Boy? - with a detour to Las Coles - and on to Samana?
Defenitely going whalewatching in Saman?, but what else must sees are there?
From here we 're back on the route to the airport, resting our 4 last days at Los Gringos caba?as (is a Belgian BB in Bahia Escondida) we booked through the internet.
Ok, that's it. I'm all ears for your suggestions and your criticism.
Thanks in advance,
Katrien & Jan

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Hi. As far as the southwest goes, if you are going to Bahia de las Aguilas you can arrive in the town called Las Cuevas where you should take the boat ride to arrive at Bahia de las Aguilas. It is very scenic. It may cost about $40 US.
Definitely check out the balnearios of San Rafael and Los Patos. Each has a beautiful beach. You can eat freshly caught and grilled fish with coconut rice at either location.
You can see my photos here in the DR1 media gallery section at http://www.dr1.com/media/showgallery.php/cat/505
Enjoy,
Paul Gerace

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Hoi Katrien & Jan, welkom hier en alvast veel plezier op vakantie (sorry maar met jullie namen is het niet moeilijk raden waar je vandaan komt LOL).

Sounds like a great trip!
Sabana de la Mar - Samana might be possible in one day, but that's a very long trip. You might need to go more or less via Santo Domingo, and SD to Samana alone is already more or less 4-5 hours driving. There used to be a ferry between Sabana and Samana, maybe there still is, that would be a lot easier. But then, having your own wheels is very handy in Samana.
In Samana I would definitely go the the Salto Limon, waterfalls (between Las Terrenas and Samana), and Playa Rincon near Las Galeras. Las Terrenas has relatively good restaurants. Both roads to Las Terrenas (from Sanchez and Samana) are beautiful too.
I would also definitely schedule a day in Santo Domingo. The colonial zone is special, and if you've never been to a poor country to, the chaos of a big city like Santo Domingo can be interesting too. Difficult driving there though.
Enjoy your trip!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First off, I'd say you're nuts.

But, hey, you don't know the roads or the driving in the DR....

Your proposed itinerary is not possible.
Here are what are just my opinions:

Arriving Puerto Plata, we go straight down to Jarabacoa (nice, 2 hour drive with travel theourgh the city of Santiago and then down the highway to the turn off to Jarabacoa, doable but what time is your plane getting in.where we would like to go rafting the next day. From here, a very long driving day through el Rio, Constanza, San Jos? de Ocoa (this is what most of us here whould call "lunacy" . That drive is hell on wheels and you can never be sure if the road is even passable. You have to go to Santo Domingo, then south to San Cirstobal and then follow that road around to Barahona. and on the highway to Barahona and la Ci?naga...do not think that this is doable in a day, except for very experienced drivers and people who know the roads.. Staying here for a few days: trips to lake Enriquillo, Parque National Jaragua and Bahia de las Aguilas (possible with our car? any other idea's in the area?)Most doable. Wonders to behold Sunday carnaval celebrating where?Carnival will be pretty much over by 27 February. However, there will be something in Barahona and Santo Domingo for sure. Possible in ?zua and Ban?
Then on to Bayahibe to go diving (any recommended diving centers?)(Just a 7 hour drive!! from Barahona!)
Off to Cabo Engano near Bavaro (would just love to stand on a deserted beach, while the area is bustling with ignorent tourists - and heard you find beautifull seashells there) Assuming you get there, you are in for a special treat. It IS beautiful.
Up if possible taking the coast road? Or if not, inland and up to playa Lim?n, Punta del rey and Sabana de la Mar. Is it possible to visit the Parque Nacional Los Haitises?
Then it gets tricky: Can we get to Samana in one long day from Sabana de la Mar through Hato Mayor - Monte Plato - Sabana Grande de Boy? - with a detour to Las Coles - and on to Samana?NO! The Drive from the Southeast Coast around to Samana is one very long day--about 7-9 hours...if traffic in Santo Domingo and SFM is moderate. I think you are looking at maps of the Dominican Republic like they were of Europe or the US...NO freaking way!! What you see as "roads" are often times just mud tracks or pot hole filled paths...
Defenitely going whalewatching in Saman?, but what else must sees are there? If you get to Saman? go to Limon Falls. Relax at Playa Rincon.

From here we 're back on the route to the airport, resting our 4 last days at Los Gringos caba?as (is a Belgian BB in Bahia Escondida) we booked through the internet.

I wish you the best of luck, but you do need to rethink part of this trip... very ambitious, perhaps too...

HB

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Dear PGerache, qgrande, Hillbily and Don Juan,

Thank you very much for your replies! We will defenitely check out your suggestions. And wow, such nice photo's!
It sounds like the roads are our biggest obstable. Would it help if I say that the days we would be driving, are intended as all day driving days? So leaving with sunrise in the morning, taking our time, watching out for the potholes, enjoying the scenery, only stopping for a quick meal... We drove in the Kimberly in Australia with a jeep before without a single ruptured tire, and so we "think" we fear other traffic more then the road conditions. That is why we want to avoid Santo Domingo and the busiest roads when possible.
Has anyone taken the road between Constanza and San Jos? de Ocoa before?
What is the biggest problem? Can two cars pass next to each other? Can you sink into the mud in February? If really impossible, then we will take the motorway. But it seems soo much nicer and more beautyfull to go through the mountains.
What about the inland route to Samana. Has anyone taken it? On our map all those roads I described seem to be paved? I seems more crazy to us to cross the country from Sabana de la Mar to SD and then go all the way up again and through SFM. But I do agree, it's probably too far for one day on either route. So what then, is there accomodation in a little town like Cotui? As long it's a room without cocroaches and with a mattres, we'll be fine for one night. Should we worry that our car get's stolen there?
Many thanks in advance for some more info.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Main roads are generally in good shape. Don't know about back roads.
You seem to want to cram too much sightseeing in too little time. That can be dangerous, especially, for those that don't know the driving rules of the DR....there are no rules.
Traffic is particularly chaotic and dangerous in the bigger cities but even good roads can be treacherous.
My suggestion to you is to take it easy and don't be in such a hurry to get anywhere. Pick out places that interest you the most and go for those. If there's time, check out others but, please, be extra careful. You'll find driving there is as exiting as bungee jumping. Good luck and land safely.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Disable or secure your vehicle when not in use for a while. The rental co. can tell you how.

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Back road conditions

In the meantime, I've read the Dominican traffic oddities - tips for driving in DR thread on this forum and it is pretty clear that we need to be extremely! carefull on the road. We will take it very slow and if we don't get there today, we'll get there ma?ana (or cut our tour short)

But I'm still wondering about the back road conditions:

The mountain road between Constanza and San Jos? de Ocoa?

The inland route to from Sabana de la mar to Saman??

Can we drive of a cliff because two cars can't pass next to each other? Can there be big rocks on the road? Potholes two feet deep? Get swept away by a mudslide in February? Or can we get there by taking it very slow and easy with a Toyota RAV = SUV, but not a jeep (no 4x4)
It would save us a lot of headache, not to mention a lot of wasted driving hours if we were sure wich road we can or can not take.

Also, does anyone have GPS tracks on any of the roads in DR or can anyone tell us where we could buy them?

Thanks in advance,
Katrien

Last edited:

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Dear administrator,

Can I start a new thread with my last post and call it back road conditions?

Katrien