Banking

AmyH

Dec 5, 2006
I am moving to Puerto Plata for 2 months or longer and living off my visitors visa can I still open up a bank account or do I need to be a citizen in order to open one.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
I am moving to Puerto Plata for 2 months or longer and living off my visitors visa can I still open up a bank account or do I need to be a citizen in order to open one.
Hey AmyH ! No, just show your passport. You can also use your Debit card, of course there is a charge for each withdrawal from your chequing account. Canadian Bob.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
At my bank in the US there is no charge on my Debit Card at my Bank, just a charge from the Bank I use. But the best way to go is to use traveler checks and what you don't use you can allways cash when you get home.

greyman

Dec 26, 2006
Hey AmyH, Good advice here from everyone. I also spend the summers in the Sosua every year. American Express is definately the way to go. No problem getting them cashed at many places. More secure. Replaced if stolen. Also safer in transit. Better security not standing in a line to use the bank machine heh?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
The OP is asking about opening up a bank account.!!!
Your passport and visa should be fine to open a savings account ...Banco Popular would be the easiest followed by Ban Reservas...............

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The OP is also suggesting this is for a SHORT period ........ maybe two months or so!! Opening a bank account for less than 6 months probably seemed inappropriate to some posters & were therefore offering sensible suggestions that the OP might not have considered.

AmyH, don't be surprised if some banks also ask you for a letter of introduction from your own bank - it is not always enforced & can sometimes be circumnavigated, but it MAY be requested!! ~ Grahame.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and i thought i need a cedula/residence to open a bank account.

so i just take my passport, my bank statements from previous bank, minovio who has accounts with popular and that's it? would a letter from work be of any use?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
NO!! A Work letter does nothing...........

and i thought i need a cedula/residence to open a bank account.

so i just take my passport, my bank statements from previous bank, minovio who has accounts with popular and that's it? would a letter from work be of any use?
What BushBaby was referring to was a letter of reference from your bank saying you are a good customer and they know you..

And as far as I can see nobody read the OP closely...It appears that she does not have a specified time that she will be staying..Therefore a bank account would be a good way to get money transfered from home in case she stays indefinetly...This is the OP's buisness but why ask about a bank account for a short period of time? ..........Also last year when I produced a reference letter it wasn't even necessary..They wanted the passport and the cash deposit.......That was Popular...........

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Bank Account vs Exchange House

Just used my passport and gave Popular Bank an openning deposit to open an account.

If you can get established with one of the better known Exchange Houses, that will be a good thing. That way you just write and cash your U.S. bank's checks there. Better rates of exchange and no service charges. No need to have large amounts of money laying around, just cash as you need it.

That method is so good that I closed the DR bank account.

Don - SantiagoDR