Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banking

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Banking

I am moving to Puerto Plata for 2 months or longer and living off my visitors visa can I still open up a bank account or do I need to be a citizen in order to open one.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    I am moving to Puerto Plata for 2 months or longer and living off my visitors visa can I still open up a bank account or do I need to be a citizen in order to open one.
    Hey AmyH ! No, just show your passport. You can also use your Debit card, of course there is a charge for each withdrawal from your chequing account. Canadian Bob.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

At my bank in the US there is no charge on my Debit Card at my Bank, just a charge from the Bank I use. But the best way to go is to use traveler checks and what you don't use you can allways cash when you get home.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey AmyH, Good advice here from everyone. I also spend the summers in the Sosua every year. American Express is definately the way to go. No problem getting them cashed at many places. More secure. Replaced if stolen. Also safer in transit. Better security not standing in a line to use the bank machine heh?

Done and dusted!
    Post Thanks / Like

The OP is asking about opening up a bank account.!!!
    Your passport and visa should be fine to open a savings account ...Banco Popular would be the easiest followed by Ban Reservas...............

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The OP is also suggesting this is for a SHORT period ........ maybe two months or so!! Opening a bank account for less than 6 months probably seemed inappropriate to some posters & were therefore offering sensible suggestions that the OP might not have considered.

AmyH, don't be surprised if some banks also ask you for a letter of introduction from your own bank - it is not always enforced & can sometimes be circumnavigated, but it MAY be requested!! ~ Grahame.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

and i thought i need a cedula/residence to open a bank account.

so i just take my passport, my bank statements from previous bank, minovio who has accounts with popular and that's it? would a letter from work be of any use?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Your passport, some money & minovio may well be enough. He is acting as guarantor by his presence. We've taken people into our bank and done the same thing.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

one learns something every day...
    gracias, lambada...

Done and dusted!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NO!! A Work letter does nothing...........

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    and i thought i need a cedula/residence to open a bank account.

so i just take my passport, my bank statements from previous bank, minovio who has accounts with popular and that's it? would a letter from work be of any use?
    What BushBaby was referring to was a letter of reference from your bank saying you are a good customer and they know you..

And as far as I can see nobody read the OP closely...It appears that she does not have a specified time that she will be staying..Therefore a bank account would be a good way to get money transfered from home in case she stays indefinetly...This is the OP's buisness but why ask about a bank account for a short period of time? ..........Also last year when I produced a reference letter it wasn't even necessary..They wanted the passport and the cash deposit.......That was Popular...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast