Baseball: Just not as good as cricket

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
How come the anglophone caribbean gets cricket, and the DR gets stuck with baseball? I have watched lots of baseball games here - very minor ones at the ground, and the big ones on TV, but the excitement, complexity and drama is just not as good as cricket.

To pre-empt comments abouta game that lasts 5 days and ends in a draw - that is part of what makes it exciting, how the drama unfolds over 5 days. Plus it always gives England a chance to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, as they will probably do again on boxing day...... or five days later.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
I love the sound of crickets! Chirp, chirp. Chirp, chirp!

What can you say about a type of game that lasts five days to play and ends in a tie? Ho-Hum!

G

gary short

Field hockey?????????? Isn't that a gay sport more designed to actually keep the grass down??????

G

gary short

I know.....all that padding is nuts......it'd more fun playing some sport that didn't need pads...........like any sport that you
're involved with.......

C

Chip00

400' pa' sacar el mondongo!

How does wacking a dead ball in "cricket" compare to a Big Papi "habichuela con dulce" induced 400'+ launched rocket compare! No way Jose.

BTW - I was there! Even the gringos were awestruck at the emotion. It all depends on your point of view - if Bach and the subtleties of the numerous varieties of "tea and crupmets" are your thing go right ahead matey!

mms://a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2006/open/wbc/topplays/030706_domven_ortiz_reel_350.wmv

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
It's not how big your hit is, it is what you do with it.

In baseball, there is only one type of bat stroke, one fielding set-up and very little variation in pitching. In cricket the shot selection and vast variation in bowling is what makes it a more complex battle. In baseball, the player is largely trying to whack the thing as hard as possible, and doesn't have to cope with bounce, seamers, spin, swing, reverse swing, and the multiple sub-types of these different bowling actions. Baseball is just too simple for me.

C

Chip00

It's not how big your hit is, it is what you do with it.

In baseball, there is only one type of bat stroke, one fielding set-up and very little variation in pitching. In cricket the shot selection and vast variation in bowling is what makes it a more complex battle. In baseball, the player is largely trying to whack the thing as hard as possible, and doesn't have to cope with bounce, seamers, spin, swing, reverse swing, and the multiple sub-types of these different bowling actions. Baseball is just too simple for me.

George

FYI there is a lot more than one type of "bat stroke". The winners of the '06 World Baseball Classic , Japan and the '05 World Series played "small ball" which means they weren't going for home runs but base hits. Baseball is really a lot more complex than it may appear as I'm sure crickett is. In the same way that your obvious limited experience viewing baseball has given you the impression that it is simple minded viewing cricket has done the same for me - I found it to about as exciting as a bowl of soggy corn flakes! However, after your post I see it is more complex. You know what I say - you take the low road and I'll take the high road! (to each his own!)

Good day

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
As a spectator sport, baseball is definitely more interesting than cricket IMHO. But, to extend the American vs British sports comparison, Rugby beats American Football hands down. 1-1.

Any rugby in the DR?
:ermm:

Playero

Aug 24, 2006
Baseball rules!

There you go, baseball rules! Forget cricket, it?s just too weird a game. No wonder you become depressed.