Would you date...

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Someone with only a highschool equivalent education?
Someone with a child?
Someone that does not speak english or your native tongue?
Someone that may not even know how to use a computer?

What exceptions are you willing to make in terms of 'choosing' or 'selecting' a mate?

I'd wait almost a full year before deciding on a real commitment.
What would you do? Or what has your experience been?

(I know this is/may be old stuff but humour me)

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Someone with a child?

What exceptions are you willing to make in terms of 'choosing' or 'selecting' a mate?

Someone with a high school equivalent education?

>possibly, if they have a good job and could support themselves substantially. There have been people known to have a high school education or less and are successful. Ex. businesspeople

Someone with a child?

>No, at my age I don't need any babymamadrama. Too much hassle.

Someone that does not speak English?

>We could be friends at first until they get a working knowledge of English (if in Canada) so that we could have meaningful conversation. I would also try to learn the other language if I was in that person's native country. I think that would be a cool way to learn about another language and culture.

Someone that may not know how to use a computer?

>My father didn't know how to properly use a computer until I showed him while I was in middle school, so I don't think not knowing how to use a computer is a huge deal. But, if that person were my age, it would be questionable, but there's a first time for everything. I mean, I don't know how to do certain things, for example, I don't know how to cook (yet, I will be learning tomorrow by helping my mother with Christmas dinner) Hopefully, someone wouldn't discriminate against me for not knowing how to do something that could be learned.

Exceptions, I would be willing to make is differences in opinion of social politics (to a degree), different culture is not a problem, different race is not a problem, whatever within reason. Every situation is different.

Real committment, I don't know, I've never really had "true" committment with anyone. I've had some committment, but not to the extent of some members on this board.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Some women are so desperate to have any man in their lives. He could be a motoconcho and they will gladly have babies with him.
Today i was in puerto plata visiting a friend. We went to eat pizza at a local place and here is what I saw: A foreign tall white woman comes in a motoconcho. She was average looking and the motoconcho (motorcycle taxi driver) was your average tigre, malvestido who lives in some callejon of a dangerous barrio. They both come in, she orders a pie to go and sit with him to wait on the order. At that point I realized that she was his girlfriend. She had this shine in her eyes as if was dating someone from the dominican royal family. They talked, and held hands while she was worshiping him with her avid eyes. This was a very sad case in my views. At this precise moment I had realized that we may have been giving some serious advice to many women like her who come asking about the behavior of "mi novio", my boyfriend, my fiance, husband etc etc. We don;t realize that many of these woman are actually falling head over heels for the motoconcho type street tigres who are worth 5 cents in their own country. The lowest of the lowest. God help these sad cases.
AZB

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I agree. Not to generalize because I do know some very nice seemingly good people concho drivers. But would I befriend them? No.
They are on the front lines and see these women first and may be the first to fill the void in these ladies hearts.

But-answer the question...upon choosing and selecting someone to date what things are you willing to concede or what is absolute for you.

Really we should be choosing who we want to go out with the same as we would in our native country. Our brains do kinda go south too when we do lol.

So what ya think?

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Really we should be choosing who we want to go out with the same as we would in our native country. Our brains do kinda go south too when we do lol.

So what ya think?

I think that we should be choosing mates based on how we would in our native countries within reason. For example, does it make sense to have an absolute as being able to speak English fluently if you are in a country where English is not the/an official language? Probably not.
Other than that, I do think it is important to do the same thing we do at home because of exactly what you said about brains going south. When in a different place outside of your native country, you feel more free and unihibited, therefore taking more chances, so it is always important to keep certain standards the same as your native ones.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Language can be overcome. But the more and more time I spend there I would like to meet and get to know someone that lives on their own (may not be too many), has a car, a good job, and relatively the same level of intelligence.
The honeymoon is going to wear off and if you are left staring at someone who cant even email you, understand your philosophy, what do you do?
But then again-maybe I am just looking too hard at things.
Same level of intelligence - smarts is good enough for me.
Same idea of religion, etc.
But when someone seemingly is able to love you the way you would really want to be loved does that conquer all?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
If we can verbally understand each other, and she is sweet and carries no baggage, nothing else really matters. Even if she has a child.
Education is important but not more so than a great personality.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I'd date someone with a HS education but they'd have to always want to learn and better themselves.--by reading or being curious.

No kids.

I could not date someone who did not speak a word of a language that I knew or had some working knowledge of. It would be impossible. If I didn't know ANY Spanish or they didn't know ANY English--no. If one of us knew some of one of the languages and worked on the language skills and the other person was patient-- It could be overcome.

I can tolerate a lot of things but a liar is not acceptable. I need someone with the same morals as me. Someone I know will be there for me in the time of a crisis. Someone respectable. Someone who I will not be embarrassed to bring home to my family. If I can't bring them home to Mom---then they're not for me.

A strong work ethic. If I'm out working everyday and they're not--problem.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Someone with only a highschool equivalent education? ... NO!!!
Someone with a child? ... ????!!!!
Someone that does not speak english or your native tongue? ... NO!!!
Someone that may not even know how to use a computer? .... NO!!!!

What exceptions are you willing to make in terms of 'choosing' or 'selecting' a mate? ... no exceptions!!!

A log or rock would satisfy the aforementioned criteria ... if one's only objective is the horizontal salsa, yes, but, what the heck would you do for the remaining 22 hours in the day??? ... I'm being generous in assuming you'll perform for 2 hours.

Sep 19, 2005
well when you meet someone and the attraction urge is driving...you dont think about next week...or next year...you dont think about some of those criteria you offered....you go with the flow and if any of those criteria rise up and rain on your party...then thats the way it is....you find out when the time is right to find out.....who falls in love by checking off items on a list?

maybe if you have several people you are seeing.. and you are getting to a point where you want to decide which one to take it to another level, that you are not at yet...and you want to leave the other behind....then you take stock in those items you mentioned...

I really dont know how you can fall in LOVE with someone who you cant speak with...ie one of you at least doesnt know both languages.

The answers really can be all over the place....a guy who heads a company or a big dept in a company with future goals of climbing the corporate ladder....may think about his future spouse beyond the limits of love...he may think...will she hold me back?..will she be an embarrasment?

maybe at a certain age others have a level of success already and wouldnt not worry about that stuff...

who cant be taught to use a computer in no time at all????????

if your 7 year old can be a wizz by the time he is 12...why cant an adult be that same wiz in half the time?

a computer isnt needed to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...just like a TV or radio isnt needed....

a child or CHILDREN could have a huge effect on some ...if a girl i wanted to date had a child like my niece does...I would lay rubber leaving.....

life is too dynamic to answer...each person is a case unto themselves with all their "possibilities"

bob

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Oh I love "gay" questions!!

I would give them a chance as in see a movie, go for dinner but they would have to be well-read and self-dirrected learner of some sort or studying at night for me to be interested in them for anything more serious. I could be friends with anyone but I'm a well-educated woman with many interests of my own. Some men are threatened by women with more education. I met one man who is a restauranteur with ambition and drive, a good heart. He would discuss some deep subjects using the education he got in his family and his life experience. And he impressed me more than some very well-educated people I know. He had a lot of integrity. But he had a coaseness and informality about him that I would find embarrassing. I would only want to change him if I got involved with him. I don't want to play the role of Dr. Doolittle. No thanks. I think a man can do that more easily with a woman, but a woman can't do that with a man, in my opinion. Male pride? I don't know. Women have to be proud of their men.

Someone with a child?
No problem. If they are a dead beat, no thanks. It's true though that you take on the time and financial demands of someone with children.

How would you communicate!? That non-verbal communication :bunny: can only take you so far! If they were intermediate level, yes. It depends on the couple, English is not rocket science.

It's not rocket science, but it's one form of literacy. I guess I would have to set up a LAN and switch to DSL. Better to find a handy man who will renovate instead.

Depends. No liars, no cheaters. They have to be exceptions you can live with, you can't look at men with the eye to changing and reforming them.

Yes, good idea.

I would live with the person first before making a real commitment (i.e. marriage).

I know this is/may be old stuff but humour me)
Did I make your eyes glaze over? LOL

AstonVila

Oct 28, 2006
Too many negatives

Someone with a child?

High School Education - Could probably be accepted
Child - No
No ingles - Ok, do you speak Dominican spanish? Probably not.
No Computer skills - What do you mean? Some American can't use a computer.

I think the kid and lack of communication are the biggest obstacles. I would not bend the rules for that.

Someone with a child?

This girl really got you freaked out, my advise is come with me to DR in Febuary and I will get you straightened out.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
'Bob' great response. I guess the 'computer' issue was an analogy (sp) in regards to the level of education someone may have.
Yes, you can be so picky since there are many, and I believe, good women in the RD (just not at clasico of course).
And I agree about the language-you really do need to be able to converse.
It can get hairy enough even if you know some of the language. It gets pretty interesting when you are just not sure what was said. lol

Margaret,

'gay questions'? lol
I agree as well with all you said. I don't have a problem if they have a child already and am not sure why the other men here are afraid of that.

Yo Badpiece if that is an invitation groovy!

bhale

Mar 1, 2004
I have a friend with high school only. He has been in business for himself since he was 30 and nets over 1/4 million US dollars a year. Has under 5 employees Pretty smart SOB.

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
There are several men on the Forbes 400 (richest americans) who have only a high school or lower education and they are billionaires...so a HS education is not a paramount. It's about your motivation level. You don't have to have a degree or a diploma to make it or to be a successful person in life.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
There are several men on the Forbes 400 (richest americans) who have only a high school or lower education and they are billionaires...so a HS education is not a paramount. It's about your motivation level. You don't have to have a degree or a diploma to make it or to be a successful person in life.

For every one highschool drop-out who is a millionaire, there are thousands who are flat broke and total losers. A highschool drop-out from DR has zero chances of getting ahead in life unless he is a good baseball player or a drug dealer.
AZB