Dear Leonel....

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Estimado Sr Presidente,

I read in the news that you defend government handouts as "a way to give poor people dignity". My question to you is "How do you create dignity in people by perpetuating the practice of maintaining them as beggars?"

Then you compared yourself to Joaquin Balaguer with this practice. Sir, for several years I watched Sr Balaguer's handouts of free bicycles on Avenida Maximo Gomez in Santo Domingo. How did he create dignity, especially with the women at the tail-end of his handouts, when the place would turn into a free-for-all brawl between women fighting over one of the last bicycles for their kids, who were always watching on as their mother was wailing away at some other kids mom while they also watched? Then, of course, they would return again the following year for another free bicycle. Some dignity.

Yes sir, its a sad situation. So why don't you do what you have always promised to do, which is TO FIX THE DAMNED ELECTRICITY PROBLEMS HERE?

If someone gets in the way, fire them, or replace them. If someone is holding it up waiting for a bribe, put them in jail. If someone doesn't want to pay, then cut them OFF. No power. No meter - no power. No pay - no power. Steal it - jail, NO MATTER WHO THE HECK YOU ARE. Go directly to jail.

If there would be a 99.9% reliable power supply, businesses would be able to do business. New businesses would be started. New jobs - more money in the people's hands. More money = more purchases= more business. Less poor people without work.

Think of the fuel savings for the country if there weren't 500,000 damn generators doing what you ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING, which is supplying power, and burning up the country's gasoline supply in a poor conversion to electricity. Even Haiti has better power than the DR. Friggin Haiti !!

Electricity is what is holding this country back, and keeping it down. Fix the damn problem. Make it your only priority for your remaining time in office.

Merry damn Christmas. I am POSITIVE you always have electricity.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Who the hell knows!

I hear a lot of excuses for the lack of reliable power. they range from people not paying their bills to cables being stolen to having disputes with the companies that are supposed to generate our electric supply to not having enough fuel to burn, etc.
I stopped trying to make heads or tails of this situation a long time ago. Nobody in government seems to know either. It's a freaking, total mystery!
It is a damn shame that we haven't had reliable power since 1962!! That's like 45 years of lost prosperity. We could have been nearing first-world status by now if not for the unprofessional, untrained, inept politicos that vie for a seat in government purely for fun and profit!
To my disappointment, I thought Leonel could get it going. But, no. Then if he can't resolve this condition, who could?
Where are this country's priorities? Is the SD metro project more important?
Dios mio, this is all so very frustrating!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
GringoCarlos, as usual with your excellent posts, I agree totally. The issue of handouts and dignity is related to some of the stuff being said on the "conspicious consumption" thread.

Leonel was distancing himself from Balaguer, as I understood his statements. The report I read started off with him saying the thing about handouts = dignity but then he said his style was not the same as JB's, something about rolling down the windows on his jeepeta as he drove through the provinces.:rolleyes:

As for the comparison with Haiti, admittedly I haven't been there for 18 months now, but there were prolonged power cuts when I worked there in 2004 and 2005. It could have just been the crisis, and things could have been sorted out since, but during that period the electricity situation in Haiti was comparable to the dark days of summer 2004 in the DR.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Estimado Sr Presidente,

I read in the news that you defend government handouts as "a way to give poor people dignity". My question to you is "How do you create dignity in people by perpetuating the practice of maintaining them as beggars?"

Then you compared yourself to Joaquin Balaguer with this practice. Sir, for several years I watched Sr Balaguer's handouts of free bicycles on Avenida Maximo Gomez in Santo Domingo. How did he create dignity, especially with the women at the tail-end of his handouts, when the place would turn into a free-for-all brawl between women fighting over one of the last bicycles for their kids, who were always watching on as their mother was wailing away at some other kids mom while they also watched? Then, of course, they would return again the following year for another free bicycle. Some dignity.

Yes sir, its a sad situation. So why don't you do what you have always promised to do, which is TO FIX THE DAMNED ELECTRICITY PROBLEMS HERE?

If someone gets in the way, fire them, or replace them. If someone is holding it up waiting for a bribe, put them in jail. If someone doesn't want to pay, then cut them OFF. No power. No meter - no power. No pay - no power. Steal it - jail, NO MATTER WHO THE HECK YOU ARE. Go directly to jail.

If there would be a 99.9% reliable power supply, businesses would be able to do business. New businesses would be started. New jobs - more money in the people's hands. More money = more purchases= more business. Less poor people without work.

Think of the fuel savings for the country if there weren't 500,000 damn generators doing what you ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING, which is supplying power, and burning up the country's gasoline supply in a poor conversion to electricity. Even Haiti has better power than the DR. Friggin Haiti !!

Electricity is what is holding this country back, and keeping it down. Fix the damn problem. Make it your only priority for your remaining time in office.

Merry damn Christmas. I am POSITIVE you always have electricity.

GringoC could I put my John Hancock on that letter. It would be my outmost pleasure.:cheeky:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Your Excellency,

While we're on the subject of dignity, have you noticed in your regional peregrinations throughout the land all those people with handwritten posters? Have you read the posters? They are adults asking for roads and clinics to be completed, children asking for their school buildings to be finished so that they can have a classroom. Does it add to the importance of your office to compel these people to beg? Does it enhance the feeling of power that here are the masses begging for public works which should be theirs by right?

Or does it enhance the feeling of shame?

Please choose, your Excellency. And then act accordingly.

Respectfully yours,
A gringa who had so much hope for your administration, so much faith in your integrity and now so much fear that you are going to let the PPH back in next time round.

I wish you a thoughful New Year and an action plan which will prove me wrong.

C

Chip00

Leonel

How can anybody take Leonel seriously when he speaks his own version of Spanish? The guy has not "landed" in some time. When will the people vote someone into office who isn't into sophisticated speeches that impress the uneducated public? The polical types here don't understand that for every efffective law passed into place has to have THE SUPPORTING INFRASTRUCTURE (ie the branch to enforce it). Nothing will change in this country until corruption is made a crime and the branch that is enforces the laws is given the funds/means to make it happen - nothing!

After they do this they can think about outlawing monopolies and creating regulating agencies for the monopolies that exist but need time for transition(ie power) A regulating branch will calculate FAIR cost and PROFIT in order to SET RATES and is TYPICALLY OPEN TO PUBLIC SCRUTINY.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
When will the people vote someone into office who isn't into sophisticated speeches that impress the uneducated public? RATES and is

They already did...it was called Hipolito and it was a disaster...

No matter who'in power they are there to serve themselves and not the public...unfortunately right now there's no alternative to Leonel...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
They already did...it was called Hipolito and it was a disaster...

No matter who'in power they are there to serve themselves and not the public...unfortunately right now there's no alternative to Leonel...

Yeah it boggles my mind that that you can come up with US$500M to build a subway but you don't fix your electricity problem first?

its not a priority because the Dominican public and culture has accepted the fact that there will be no proper electricity. A whole generation or two has been conditioned to accept this, just like they accept politicians and people in government to steal money or get kick backs.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Yeah it boggles my mind that that you can come up with US$500M to build a subway but you don't fix your electricity problem first?

its not a priority because the Dominican public and culture has accepted the fact that there will be no proper electricity. A whole generation or two has been conditioned to accept this, just like they accept politicians and people in government to steal money or get kick backs.

No kidding.

They could have built 5 Ocean Worlds for that price.

;)

Scandall