job termination question

Sep 19, 2005
Ok so my Gf wants to get a job...to "help out"..ie get her own money so Bob cant complain when she flies through what I give her......;)

although i was trying to keep her locked away on that dead end road....I realize a job isnt much different than sending her to school...which is what i wa currently planning to do.....even though we missed PUCMM's cut off date for applications this semester...but I know if she gets a job...that will put a huge kink in my visitations....I dont relish the thought of waiting around 9 hours a day till she gets off work to see her....and it would put a kink in any side trips ..ie Sosua, which we do often............if she was to get a job at a bank, which she has an offer..... and 2 months down the road she quits....or she gets fired because she took too much time off( i imagine the too much time off would take more than a few months, because i dont got EVERY month).......the question

is there a probationary period for getting severance...........do you think quitting would hinder any future job application..( ie do they actually do back ground checks there? I dont know)

do you think a bank tellers job would offer medical benefits.?

does anyone have an idea of the time off allowed for a new employee ..( knowing it is a bank)..........yeah i could wait to get these answers slowly from my GF......but i dont want to instigate any more issues, because she is unhappy about me not wanting her to get the job.....

also does anyone know if other schools in Santiago...offer individual classes as opposed to full enrollment( because it may be late to start this semesters curriculum)........any help would be appreciated....

thanks
bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The time period required before eligibility for liquidation is 90 days.

The typical work week required by most Dominican employers is 44 hours per week which is Mon-Fri plus a half day Saturday.

The banks usually offer private health insurance to their employees.

Usually an employer will evaluate an employee prior to the 90 days, and make a decision wheter or not to terminatede them before any liquidation is required. If they do so, they will not specify a cause which would appear in the employees record. If they terminate after the 90 days, they have to state a reason, or else incur liquidation costs. Excessive absence can be good cause.

The best thing if a termination is impending and liquidation is not involved is for the employee to resign and get a letter stating that their employment ended under good terms (renuncia).

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The upside is that it cuts into the time available for her to go shopping, hairdresser, manicure, etc.

Sep 19, 2005
oh sure try and chear me up

.................dont you realize how fast a woman shopper can destroy a mere $200???????????

the nails only get done when i visit..and the hair is EVERY saturday...no matter what

when i met her she was in the hole 900 pesos to the lady that brought clothes from NY ........dont all 19 year olds spend 130% of their pay each week?

bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
.I dont relish the thought of waiting around 9 hours a day till she gets off work to see her....and it would put a kink in any side trips ..ie Sosua, which we do often...
bob

Bob, don't worry, more time to hang with me. I am a charming guy, aren't I?
Maybe I can get you a part time wife. Hahahaha
On the serious note: I think its great that she would get out of the house and get some work experience. you don;t want to make a princess out of her and then complain later. Let her work and see how money is earned. This way she will have more respect for your cash.
AZB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Good advice AZB. Bob, your girlfriend is such a nice person! I agree with AZB though you are spoiling her a bit and take the risk of turning her into a princess! Don't do that to yourself, you will regret it.

As a compromise - is there something she could do on her own hours??? Is there some kind so business she could set up? (besides pig farming of course...)

Or of course - school! Correspondense? Night School????

Sep 19, 2005
well she does goe to english school....but I am seeking any info on college level classes or courses. Because I think I can convince her to not take the job..........she doesnt want to be a burden she says. Thats why she got into raising the pigs...so she could make money for US. But since that worked in reverse.......it actually took money from her bank account.....she was thinking of getting a job.

Larry my gfs sister works at a bank as a teller and gets 3500 pesos each 15 days......but you know i dont know if that is after taxes or not...

bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
BOB, let her work and get a taste of real life. It will be a good experience for both of you. Don't worry she won't date her boss. man you are worse than I am.
Anyway, she is a smart young girl and she needs the work experience. Opening up her own business will not teach her how to work for someone else. Let her work in business environment and let her learn on her own a bit. The money is not important, the experience is.
AZB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My fiance has a professional job in Santiago. She doesn't have as much vacation time as I have to visit the DR. So I work around her schedule, take her to work, meet her for lunch, pick her up, etc. It's very workable.

It's part of "real life".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
let me just say, holidays agreements in DR are shyt. in the uk you have a week off for each three months you have worked, here you have to work a whole year to be eligible for, like, two weeks of holidays! crap.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
let me just say, holidays agreements in DR are shyt. in the uk you have a week off for each three months you have worked, here you have to work a whole year to be eligible for, like, two weeks of holidays! crap.
It's pretty much the same in the US, 2 weeks after a year, might go up with tenure.

My Euro friends get 6 weeks "holiday". Bastards! ;)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I don't think that 14 work days (not 2 weeks) paid vacation, plus 13 paid holidays plus a months Christmas bonus, is so bad.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I don't think that 14 work days (not 2 weeks) paid vacation, plus 13 paid holidays plus a months Christmas bonus, is so bad.
cobraboy said:
It's pretty much the same in the US, 2 weeks after a year, might go up with tenure.

Thanks for clearing that up, HOWMAR. Good info.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i said "like 2 weeks", i did not remember how much exactly.

i'd give up this 13th wage and bonus (optional) for my holiday arrangements in the uk (4 weeks a year, a week off for xmas, week more for semana santa and two or more extra weeks in low season...)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
i said "like 2 weeks", i did not remember how much exactly.

i'd give up this 13th wage and bonus (optional) for my holiday arrangements in the uk (4 weeks a year, a week off for xmas, week more for semana santa and two or more extra weeks in low season...)
And so would every Dominican worker. But guess what, you're here, not there. You by choice, they without choice. You don't like the Dominican work conditions, the Dominican sanitary conditions, Dominican etiquette, etc, etc. Is it really worth it for you?