NEW 'must have' book

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Hey everyone, Just received my copy of "The Devil Behind The Mirror; Globalization and The Economy In The Dominican Republic".
A few chapters in right now, but very well written and informative book for anyone (including myself) wishing to or, already investing down there.
Check it out!

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Where did you get the book? Sounds interesting, like something the The Economist may have published.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
If you're into globalization and international relations "stuff"...like me...here are two books by Dani Rodrik at the Kennedy School of Gov't, Harvard that are pretty good.

"Has Globalization gone too far?"

and

"The new global economy and developing countries: making openness work"

I used both of them as sources on my last paper for grad school. The paper was specifically about the DR, globalization and liberal trade philosophies. I know....sounds like a real page-turner...ZzzzZZzzzzZZZzzzz ;)

Scandall

luz

Sep 27, 2006
why is this book a must have ?
The world is big and people have different opinions.

I invested here, no book needed.

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Well, it's must have if you want to understand better the ways of Dominica beneath the glossy surface. Just look at the thread on here about DR's character assassination. Sure they tell you not to leave the resort cuz they want you to spend the money there, but like we all (mostly) know....the AI resort is NOT the DR....it is Joe Blow's wallet. You may think you're helping the DR economy and people by spending on the resort, but the REAL Dominican's are out there starving because they aren't getting the cash or jobs they need. Joe Blow is taking it all.
You are quite right, you don't need to read this book at all before you invest...but you also don't need to fly to the island, you could swim.
BTW I quoted the book's title incorrectly...it's actually globalization and politics in the DR.
My mistake.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
why is this book a must have ?
The world is big and people have different opinions.

I invested here, no book needed.

If you're not interested then don't read it.

I think he posted it because many people on this board are interested in studying these subjects. Multiple points of view rarely hurt.

Good luck with your investment.

Scandall