Car battery experts, please help!!!!!!!!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, this thread does not concern women so please back to the kitchen. Thanks.
It seems like no matter what battery I buy for my car (wet or dry), it only lasts about 2 yrs tops. Then after 2 yrs I get this problem where the car battery goes dead, I wiggle the positive terminal and the car battery comes back to life. So I scrub and clean the battery terminal with a metal brush and then I changed the postive and negative lead battery connector and clean the cable to take out the oxidation. The car runs great for 10 days and then the same symptoms start again.
I checked the water in the wet battery (from pricesmart) and for the first time in 2 yrs the water level was down. So I disolved some EDTA in battery water and poured it in battery holes. The car worked fine for a few days and then today it gave me the same symptoms. I wiggle the positive terminal and the car starts like it has a new battery inside.
So what is going on? Should I chuck the 2 yrs old wet battery and buy a new one?
AZB

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Ok, this thread does not concern women so please back to the kitchen. Thanks. ... dinner time soon, right?

So what is going on? Should I chuck the 2 yrs old wet battery and buy a new one?
AZB
No, don't discard!!! After cleaning the battery terminals and connectors, connect the connectors and apply some grease on top to prevent oxidation. You can also purchase plastic covers for the terminals.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How much voltage is your alternator putting out? Over/undercharging will damage batteries, as will excessive heat.

BTW-unless you have a mega-heavy duty battery, bateries only last around 3 years tops. If you getting a cheapie battery, 2 years may be it's lifespan. Car batteries are not constructed the way deep-cycle batteries are.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The interesting part is that when you wiggle the positive terminal the battery comes back for a while.
this leads me to think that perhaps you have a poor connection some place. Also, the smalles amount of oxidation will prevent the battery from charging properly.
SO:
Check all the cables
Check the alternator

Good Luck,

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Greasing the terminals helps and definitely do check the alternator. It may not be charging or the wires may also have corroded and need to be changed.
Then again it could simply be the regulator that is not functioning properly.
A good onsite mechanic should be able to sort things out for you if indeed t is not just a case of an inexpensive battery having lived it's lifespan.

Pierre

Dec 18, 2006
you say you "wiggle" the terninal. If it's able to wiggle that's not a good thing. Should be nice'n tight. Also as stated before check alternator.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Greasing the terminals helps and definitely do check the alternator. It may not be charging or the wires may also have corroded and need to be changed.
Then again it could simply be the regulator that is not functioning properly.
A good onsite mechanic should be able to sort things out for you if indeed t is not just a case of an inexpensive battery having lived it's lifespan.

I consulted with my wife, and that's exactly what she said, except she left out all the mumbo-jumbo and went directly to the solution: "buy a new battery, and let a mechanic install it, no need to get your hands soiled."

Sep 19, 2005
you need new cables....from the starter all the way to the battery with the red lead... and a new black cable from the engine block to the battery...the INSIDES of the cable corode...but you cant see it nior clean it because of the plastic sheathing......its a slam dunk...... I had to call my GF to get the answer.....good thing I dont tell her what a smuck our buddy AZB is to women.. ha ha ha ha

of course you should know what voltage you alternator is putting out.....you want to mure it is enough to kee the battery fully charged... but the wiggling of the connection helping is a sign of a bad connection... and that connection is all the copper wires coroded inside the cables .... take care buddy

wire brush the terminal posts on the battery , put on the new cables and cover them with grease

PS...I bet who ever owned that car before you live near the ocean...my buddy bought a toyota truck from a guy near the ocean and he had to replace his battery cables for the exact same reason.....I wonder if toyota uses cheap cables

bob

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
wow, some assortments of answers. Seems like you folks know less than I do. I like MommC's answer the best: alternator is not charging. hahahhahaha.

The battery is fully charged and works like new when the terminal is wiggled. So the alternator is charging and has been charging since 1990. MommC don't you have to buy a new purse to match your new belt? Take miguel with you shopping.

Now the terminals were tight and fixed, I am not that stupid, I am an electrical engineer for god sake. Seems like the terminal gets all oxidized quickly and the current doesn't pass. So when I loosen and wiggle the terminal the oxidation breaks just enough for me to have sufficient current pass through to start the car. If the alternator was not charging, believe me, my battery would go dead. Now this happens always after 2-3 yrs and then I charge the battery and everything works fine for the next 2-3 yrs. So the battery,s heavy duty cables are all fine.
What i don't understand is this: why the oxidation builds up so fast on this old battery terminal now? What is the chemistry behind this phenomenon? Why doesn't this happen to the newer batteries?
So thanks for women who tried to tell me, go see a mechanic. Gee, I could never have thought of that in 1000 yrs.
So please, if you guys don't know more than I do at the moment, please go wash your women's feet or carry their purses. I only want intelligent manly answers. Have a happy new year.
AZB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Two years life in a hot environment isn't unusual for a Cheapo bargain basement battery.

I use heavy duty extended life batteries with a 72 month "warranty" here in FL, and am lucky to get 4 years out of them.

Your alternator may be charging, but if it is charging at too high a voltage-even by a few 10ths-it will shorten the life of the battery.

What is the voltage across the terminals at rest, when "fully charged"?

Sep 19, 2005
dufus...if you clamped the terminals on the post and REALLY tightened them with a socket wrench.. the connection BETWEEN the two wont corode or oxidize.........many metals oxidize rapidly...lead is one of them especially around acid......the cells vent out gas probably as well and that hastens the oxidation process.....Id change the gas tank while your at it,... and I am sure the back feed from the stereo isnt helping...... and if you dont rotate the distributor cap...you are only asking for trouble later on.....did anyone ask you about filling up on your headlight fluid? better catch up on the routine maintenance

good luck.... and dont foget to thank my GF for her good advice that you arent listening to

bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So the question is this: how long does your battery last in DR? Please no answers from Idaho. Hahahaha
AZB

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
That's good.
Finally this nonsense is DR related. :bunny:

Interesting that a mod hasn't said:
Who cares?
(But then, batteries are more important than crime...)

m'frog

:bunny: True words spoken :bunny: the battery ?ucked buy a new one

G

gary short

Battery probably is pooched. Use a clamp-on DC ampmeter to check altenator output......then tighten the hell out of all connections after looking at all cable connections to ensure no weak corroded cables......good luck.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
That's good.
Finally this nonsense is DR related. :bunny:

Interesting that a mod hasn't said:
Who cares?
(But then, batteries are more important than crime...)

m'frog

Its DR related because I live in DR, the battery is bought in DR and the car is driven in DR. Now go back into your bubble before someone kills you.
AZB

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Get a good battery

Alt output (not the problem) should be 14.2 to 14.8v - same on virtually all cars. Most mass merchandisers carry only price lines (lower cranking amps, less reserve and most important- less plates inside. Have seen billboards for Delco batteries (your corolla is also a chevy prizm) would recomend that brand or Interstate (not their low end) if available.
As for corrosion protection buy some silicone dielectric grease. Any mechanic should have some little packets of this lying around, as most premium plug wire sets come with it. Maybe he'll give you one.
Expert advice- buy a GOOD battery- extreme weather, both hot and cold shortens a batteries lifespan. Bob's advice on the cables is correct, take a razor blade and slice down a inch or two on the cables. Are the wires covered in green or white? If yes change them too.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Was Having The Same Type Problems!

Then I bought a GOOD Delco Battery from Santo Domingo Motors. No More Problems! And 2 years sounds about right for a battery in the DR! Spend 3000 pesos and stop wasting your time! Cris Colon

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
what works for me is soda like pepsi or coke. the carbonation works like an acid cleaning the corroded parts of the terminals. if you're like most folks in the DR and run a lot of a/c it can wear on a battery.