Back roads in DR

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Hello there,
I'm not living in the DR, actually I'll be coming over in February for my very first time. But I do believe that this is the best place to post my questions. My husband and I will be travelling independently in the DR with a rental car for 3 weeks. I now know about the big safety and traffic issues and we will be extremeley carefull. We will take it very slow and if we don't get there today, we'll get there ma?ana (or cut our tour short)
But no one has been able to answer following questions:

What are the back road conditions at:

*The mountain road between Constanza and San Jos? de Ocoa?

*The inland route from Sabana de la mar to Saman?? (Hato Mayor - Monte Plata - Cotui - Nagua) - any place to sleep on the way so we can slowly get there in two days?

Can we drive of a cliff because two cars can't pass next to each other? Can there be big rocks on the road? Potholes two feet deep? Get swept away by a mudslide in February? Or can we get there by taking it very slow and easy with a Toyota RAV = SUV, but not a jeep (no 4x4)
It would save us a lot of headache, not to mention a lot of wasted driving hours if we were sure wich road we can or can not take.

Also, if anyone has GPS tracks on any of the roads in DR we would be very greatfull.
Thanks in advance,
Katrien

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What are the back road conditions at:
*The mountain road between Constanza and San Jos? de Ocoa?
It's a dirt road that is passable with a Rav4, except during or after heavy rains, at which point, you could be running the risk of a mudslide.
It certainly is a worthwhile journey.

The inland route from Sabana de la mar to Saman?? (Hato Mayor - Monte Plata - Cotui - Nagua) - any place to sleep on the way so we can slowly get there in two days?
Unless someone has cut a new road through there, it's more of a donkey trail than a road. I believe it is still impassible.

Can we drive of a cliff because two cars can't pass next to each other? Can there be big rocks on the road? Potholes two feet deep? Get swept away by a mudslide in February? Or can we get there by taking it very slow and easy with a Toyota RAV = SUV, but not a jeep (no 4x4)
It would save us a lot of headache, not to mention a lot of wasted driving hours if we were sure which road we can or can not take.
All of the above could happen, but you could also win the lottery.
If you drive with the correct attitude and are cautious, you should have no problems whatsoever with the Rav4.

Also, if anyone has GPS tracks on any of the roads in DR we would be very greatfull.
I'll ask El Viejo to look at this thread.
He may have some tracks for you.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
You could slao be stopped by some guys pretending to be a military/police checkpoint and rip you off..Or ask for a bribe which is the same thing..It has happened before all over the DR.....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, I remember reading your wonderful blog. However the OP is trying to use the roads--hahaha--as shown on the maps...

I agree with Rocky (so what else is new?) and I would suggest that they use the major highways. Or perhaps the Cotu? -San Francisco route if they want some back road adventure...

They could take the Tenares-Gaspar Hernandez route, a beautiful drive but I understand that the road has been poorly kept up--so what else is new?

Maybe my 4x4 will be ready and I can do some of this adventure trekking...

God willing..

HB

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Hb

I assume you were referring to that blog months ago...Well you have it a little mixed up....The guys who stopped me were real...Dominican Scotty suggested that there are phonies out there..By the way where is he I don't see him post anymore...And yes all the roads by me are basically a trail..the only map for them is in your head...Tis be the Frontier........There is only 1 real road..That is rt# 44........Probably in the best condition of any major road in the SW.

Last edited: