Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Caution re local restaurant

Just a word of caution...

I recently ate at a local restaurant (lunch), great food, good service, but I learned something I want to pass on to you all.

Do not leave the bill with your money on the table (like tucked under the ashtray or whatever) - give it to the waitress! Wait for your change.

We didn't do that. I (a female) ate with a male friend who is known and memorable about Sosua. When he went his way and I mine, I was chased by the waitress telling me I left a 50 peso, not a 500 peso note, and that it's easy to make that mistake, etc. etc.

I thought she was chasing me to give me change so she totally caught me off guard - so yes, I gave her more money. It's interesting that she waited and chased me; no one went after the male.

I went back 2 days later and talked to the owner; Sosua being a small town I wanted him to know what had transpired. I was friendly, supportive, and he was listening, though eye contact wasn't his long suit. I actually pointed out the waitress to him and he said he would monitor (my word) her and thanked me.

The principle bothered me - I don't live year round but have been coming down for years and have a condo there so I don't consider myself a tourist. He got my point, and I did get my money back.

However, when I stopped in to say hello and see what happened since I was there, it was a very different story. Now I'm very suspect, and again my caution is two-fold.

Don't leave money on the table; and be careful of bait and switch cons.

I'm trying to be informative here without pointing fingers purposefully. If you want more info or have had similar experiences, please PM or email me.

Ro

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you just post the name of the restaurant. Maybe someone had a similar experience there?

Keeping it to yourself is not helping anybody.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Why don't you just post the name of the restaurant. Maybe someone had a similar experience there?

DR 50 and 500 bills are very similar. Without glasses, they are very easy to confuse. Go ahead, give the waitress the benefit of the doubt.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post

At least give us the first letter!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

First, the 50 and 500 are clearly two different colors; and I know the difference.

Secondly, the 50 she showed me was folded in quarters - I don't do that to my money. I fold it in half and it fits perfectly in my coin purse.

And the letters are **edited out****

Ro

sorry RO but that could lead to litigation
    Last edited by Hlywud; 12-28-2006 at 11:46 AM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirador View Post
    DR 50 and 500 bills are very similar. Without glasses, they are very easy to confuse. Go ahead, give the waitress the benefit of the doubt.
    Exactly how many times are you going to give the waitress the benefit of a doubt at 450 pesos? and jeez, I would like to be your waitress if we are playing that game!!!!!!!

What Ro did was acceptable- going back to talk to the owner. I would go back for my 450 pesos too. However, unless the food were spectacular, I probably wouldn't go back to eat.

When I pay a bill, I actually count the money out to the waitress or waiter. That way, there is no mistake in knowing what is there to pay the bill.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you meant by "male friend who is known and memorable about Sosua"? Being the devil's advocate, considering all the local characters in Sosua, are you sure he didn't make the switch? Could he have been taken you as a crazy gringa leaving a 500 pesos tip and thought he could swith it to 50 pesos without anybody knowing?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand your point here, Drro, but this could happen anywhere in the world.

Personally, I never leave money on the table for payment or tip. I wait until I see the person who served me or search her/him out in the back to make sure they receive the payment. I started doing this after I saw a diner walk past a table where the patrons had just left, and had left tip money on the table. This person very casually walked by the table and scooped up the money and kept walking. This person who stole the tip was a patron not the wait staff. Therfore, I make sure payment and tip has been handed over to the proper person before leaving and avoiding a situation like this happening.

Marlie

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody that knows anything about Sosua would not eat in that restaurant in the first place.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

So to clear some stuff up - the male I was with was a fellow Buckeye - from Ohio - and he not only wasn't the 'switcher' but he acknowledges that it wqs a 500 not a 50.

And thank you all for your comments, and especially the support.

Ro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast