What do you think???

D

DR-Defender

There was a time when the Dominincan Republic asked to be annexed by the U.S. President Jonhson was supportive of this idea but congress turned it down. Now, what do you guys think- would it have been a good idea or a bad one? All opinions are welcome. Thanks and be really honest.

S

Snorky

Since INS hasn't been able to stop the flood of illegal immigrants from Mexico into the US to this day, Annexation of the DR without the Annexation of Haiti would have been a disaster.

C

CES

> > > "There was a time when the Dominincan Republic asked to be annexed by the U.S. President Jonhson was supportive of this idea but congress turned it down."

"DR-Defender", this is the first time I've ever heard any thing about a present day annexation of the DR. Will you please give us some information on this matter. In the nineteenth century there was an annexation treaty that lost by one vote in the US senate, if memory serves me.

Regards. . .

. . . CES

S

sean

DR-Defender: you're confused about your history. It was President Ulysses S. Grant that signed a deal in the nineteenth century to annex the Dominican Republic. President Lyndon Johnson simply invaded, fearing that the democratically elected Bosch regime would initiate "Another Cuba". Johnson had no intention of annexing the DR, just wiping out their democratically elected government.

S

SUN_RA

No, thanks. we're just fine the way we are. look at puerto rico. what do they have?

We just want to be .... LIBRREE = FREE

C

CES

Re: What do you think SUN_RA???

SUN_RA,

Do you think Fidel is doing the country of Cuba any good now? ? ?

Regards,

. . . CES

D

Dee DeMusis

I hope I don't open up a Pandora's Box here, but it seems to me that Puerto Rico knows what good they have in the type of relationship with the US they posess: they have citizenship and representation, all government services,access to free education, decent pay, freedom to travel...freedoms in general-- they same as any American citizen. If conditions are so totally ideal in the DR, why are there so many here in New York and other places???

I love the DR and its people [my partner is a Dominican] but there's definitely room for improvement there. I'm NOT just talking like a paternalistic gringo; when it comes to the DR I have just the opposite view. Dominicans on the island-- especially leadership needs to heal the old historic wounds and move ahead. We remember our civil war and are proud of our history here in the US, but we have moved on to integrate everyone into our society and appreciate differences. Can the DR say the same?? At this point, I think not. You share the island with Haiti. Ask yourselves this: how would you feel if people treated you the way your government treats Haitians? NO, I AM NOT A HAITI DEFENDER... just an American who has herself been hated and discriminated against because of her heritage.

C

CES

Re: What do you think? (Hi Dee)

Hi Dee,

> > > " hope I don't open up a Pandora's Box here, but it seems to me that Puerto Rico knows what good they have in the type of relationship with the US. . . ."

I think this subject is more suited to the "Bravenet Forum", so I'll post my response there.

Regards,

. . . CES

http://www3.bravenet.com/forum/show.asp?msgid=0&userid=XC87864&fp2=