Puerto plata to Las Galeras

terriscott

Dec 28, 2006
Im going to be flying into puerto plata and trying to get to las galeras-can anyone reccomend the cheapest way to do this? thanks:ninja:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Im going to be flying into puerto plata and trying to get to las galeras-can anyone reccomend the cheapest way to do this? thanks:ninja:
If you are willing to wait 'till 6 AM or 7 AM, there is a bus that leaves Sosua and goes directly to the town of Saman?, then you can take public transport the rest of the way.
(POP airport is in Sosua)
If you go all the way by public transport, it will still be inexpensive, but a pain in the butt and time consuming.
You should be able to get there for less than $15 US, regardless of which method you choose.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
A little more info ...

Here's an extract from an old post on the matter. Accurate as of Feb 2006. Hope it helps. Be aware that the so-called Puerto Plata Airport is closer to Sosua than to the town of Puerto Plata.

Sosua to Saman?: (4 hours). Gua-gua = small bus, starts at Puerto Plata: 200RDP. Picked up bus (07:00) opposite Caribe office in Los Charamicos. Got a ride to Caribe office from Rocky?s (<10 minutes) by guest at Rocky?s [would probably be 30RDP by ?moto?, if you had one compact bag, or 150RDP by Taxi]. Avoid travel on Saturday when the bus could be ?full?, a flexible term, by the time it gets to Charamicos. Be prepared to stand or go to Puerto Plata the day before (bus starts there at 06:00) and get a seat. No, the Caribe bus does not run anymore; bad time of day at each end so poor returns.

[Heard of this alternate method Sosua/Cabarete to Saman?, Fun Tours day trip to Cayo Levantado near Saman? $29USD and don?t use the return half.]

Saman? to Las Galeras: (1 hour) motoconcho: 400RDP. Asked 500RDP. Many alternatives are available at the mercado which is where you should get off the bus. Later took gua-gua = pick-up truck, LasG to Saman? was 60RDP.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Spend the night in Sosua. Be on the highway before 7 am and wait for the bus to Samana. I have taken it a number of times and am picked up between 7-7:15 AM. Just flag it down as it approaches. It is a maroon and white bus with a big sign Puerto Plata-Samana across the front. It will get you to Samana in about 4 hours. It think it also goes to Las Galeras because when I took the bus last week, a lot of people stayed on the bus and others boarded it. When I got off, the bus was filling for what I am pretty sure was the trip to Las Galeras.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
i've done it. it sucks having to spend the night there when you want to get to samana asap. ensure that you have pesos or u$ for taxi ride to sosua. you won't want to hang out at airport in wee hours of the a.m. if that's when you arrive. when you get the bus to samana just get off at the market then just inside to the right you will find guagua for las galeras. ensure that you have pesos on you for that trip. somebody else can maybe give you up-to-date costs on the taxi to sosua and guagua cost from samana to las galeras.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Spend the night in Sosua. Be on the highway before 7 am and wait for the bus to Samana. I have taken it a number of times and am picked up between 7-7:15 AM. Just flag it down as it approaches. It is a maroon and white bus with a big sign Puerto Plata-Samana across the front. It will get you to Samana in about 4 hours. It think it also goes to Las Galeras because when I took the bus last week, a lot of people stayed on the bus and others boarded it. When I got off, the bus was filling for what I am pretty sure was the trip to Las Galeras.

Hey Ken,

Is this the bus you mention on your post.

samana-bus.jpg

WebDev

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
It's been a year but I'm sure the bus then was paler and had purple on it. It was also a lot dirtier -- but that was then. It's Transporte Papagayo anyway 809 - 970 - 2991 / 749 6415.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Not sure, since this one is so clean and shiny and new looking. But not important since the picture looks enough like the bus that anyone waiting along side the road will be able to flag it down. Look for the big Puerto Plata-Samana sign in the front window. Transporte Papagayo is on the side of the bus, if you wait to see it the bus will have passed you.

There are one or two other maroon buses that pass about the same time, but this is the only one that has the big Puerto Plata-Samana across the top of the bus window.