Thanks! (re: racing in DR)

racergurl55

Sep 6, 2006
www.racegirl55.com
I was in my car this morning thinking about how fortunate I've been these last couple months - and realized it's all because of someone on this forum and I never really thanked them!!

I posted a question a couple of months ago about motorcycle racing in the DR and someone (I cant find the thread now to know who) posted the name of a bike shop....as it would turn out the owner of that shop runs the Dominican Motorcycle racing association....

To make a long story short - after a phone call he invited me to race there (being a girl was a bonus).....I raced the last two rounds of the Dominican Superbike Championship and will be racing the whole 2007 season as a Moto Butler / Motomundo racer...

This is like a dream come true for me...I love Dominican Republic and stopped going there a few years ago when I started racing - Now I've been able to combine my two passions in life and am just loving it!!!

All because someone on this forum took the time to answer what I thought was a silly question when posting it!!!

SO THANK YOU SO SO SO much!!!!

Vanessa
www.myspace.com/racergirl55

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Vanessa, having checked out your My Space I just wish I were 20 years younger and single. Being a race lover and bike rider and seeing a young exciting racergurl !! Best of luck and keep the rubber side down. If you race at the autodromo (or elsewhere around)in SDQ plz let us know when, I'd love to see you race.

racergurl55

Sep 6, 2006
www.racegirl55.com
Thanks tflea!

The next race should be in February at Autodromo Las Americas, they havent set the date yet - but should in the next couple of weeks! Would be very cool, if you could come. Race day is a lot of fun, and the top Dominican racers are incredible, loads of talent and just amazing to watch.

Ill be sure to let you know the dates as soon as I know em!

V

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Thanks tflea!

The next race should be in February at Autodromo Las Americas, they havent set the date yet - but should in the next couple of weeks! Would be very cool, if you could come. Race day is a lot of fun, and the top Dominican racers are incredible, loads of talent and just amazing to watch.

Ill be sure to let you know the dates as soon as I know em!

V

Good luck on your upcoming race,
I am also a sportbike enthusiast(Honda CBR 900 with all the bells & whistles). Which bike do you race in those competitions? If you live in the NY tri-state area, I will be working the upcoming bike show at the Jacob Javitz on Jan.26, I will be at the Kawasaki or Yamaha booth.

Sep 19, 2005
but HOWMAR just take a gander at a few of her my space friends and THEIR friends and THEIR friends.........that could kill a day and lead to you signing up for my space ha ha ha................find ruskie....

bob

racergurl55

Sep 6, 2006
www.racegirl55.com
Good luck on your upcoming race,
I am also a sportbike enthusiast(Honda CBR 900 with all the bells & whistles). Which bike do you race in those competitions? If you live in the NY tri-state area, I will be working the upcoming bike show at the Jacob Javitz on Jan.26, I will be at the Kawasaki or Yamaha booth.

Thanks!
In Dominican I'm racing my sponsors bike - a GSXR750.....It's a bit older then Im used to, but It's in great condition and working well for me so far - I won the last race on it.
In Canada I race an 05 CBR600RR.

I've heard the show in New York is a great one. Not sure I'll make it there this year though!

but HOWMAR just take a gander at a few of her my space friends and THEIR friends and THEIR friends.........that could kill a day and lead to you signing up for my space ha ha ha................find ruskie....

bob

Dont quite get that.....my blonde. :ermm:

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
We appoint you the motorbike racing reporter for dr1. Let us know of future events so we can post on calendar. Email to dolores@dr1.com

is there any racing on the north coast? (or indeed anywhere else?)
is there a web site that covers the championship? (so I can find out dates for the whole season)
if I was to find myself (coincidentally) in DR when a race was on, any chance you could swing me a press pass (or let me know who could?)

Living on the Isle of Man, Mecca for bike racing, being into bikes is obligatory! Being way too slow on my CBR600 to race, I'm content to take photos

IMG_6377.jpg

ttpics

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Congratulations, Vannessa! Yeah, I know it's spelled wrong, but you do talk about the Dominican as if it were a noun...please, young lady, use "the DR" instead, okay??

You have added a fascinating new chapter to our threads and you are certainly to be congratulated!! Please report on your efforts, as it is so refreshing to see talent such as yours on the tracks.

They do have moto-cross reacing in Santiago, out by the Barranquita Sports Complex. So the folks from the NorthShore can journey down here and see you at work/play...

Again, congratulations.

HB

racergurl55

Sep 6, 2006
www.racegirl55.com
Very cool - Dolores I would be more then happy to forward on all the info about future races!

As far as I know - there is no road racing on the north coast - at least not superbike. MX seems to be really big there though. And unfortunatly no web-site. From what I understand - the championship wasnt doing to well, due to lack of sponsors, and spectators.....the cost for the racers is also pretty high - cuz tires and parts need to brought in from the US and unlike here in Canada and the US - they dont have backing from the big 4 manufacturer's.

In 2006, they were only able to schedule 3 races, but the series has now been taken over and seems to be in good hands - they are aiming for a 6 round 2007 season! Fingers crossed, cause there is some VERY good talent in the DR. (note I didnt write Dominican as a noun ;) ) Fanklyn Dominguez who won both the Puerto Rican Expert Championship and the Dominican Superbike championship, is truly an amazing racer.

Keith - your pictures are awesome!! The TT is crazy! I would love to see that one day. I can more then happily get you a track pass to take pictures if you are in the area for the next race weekend.

Hillbilly - thanks for your encouragement. I promise to not use Dominican as a noun : )

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Major DUH!!

Super bike racing is like, emmm, what they do on paved tracks? Like going a gazillion per hour with just you, your leathers and the bike between you and the pavement? OOOOOOooooooo!

I take it that MX is Moto-Cross? That is what we have here in Santiago.

Of course, If I could take out all the speed bumps at the PUCMM, you'd have a 2.5 km course to go around, but all turning one way!! Unless we ran it through one or two of the parking lots!!!

How does a young lady handle one of those huge bikes? I tried a factory Honda 500cc one time in Caracas, and i could not get it out of second gear!!
Too terrified!

HB

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Superbike racing is indeed the 'really fast' stuff on tarmac, but 'superbikes' are one class of race bike. Others such as 'lightweights' or Grand Prix are a couple of others. MX is Moto-Cross as you say. Superbikes are run on 'roads'. The Isle of Man TT Races are known as Real Road Races because they are run on 'public roads' which are shut to the public then the races begin! This year the races are 100 years old, so it will be a 'big celebration'!

There are some great female riders out there. Some bikes need strength more than anything but being generally smaller and lighter can help.

Racergirl, I live on the Isle of Man, so while I'd love a pass, so I could take photos, I'll need to find out when the racing is on well in advance, so I can do some planning.

I always thought, given the chance, there must be some great potential racers in countries like DR. Kids are on two wheels from a very early age, are fearless and some are really quite talented, ie good balance etc. A moto-concho GP could be very entertaining!