Cobblers, repair of shoes in the DR...

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
This week I realized that the soles are coming off the shoes that I have been wearing to work daily for the past year. They were not super expensive shoes, Kenneth Coles with a list price of little more than $100 but bought on sale for around $70 at DSW in Union Square.

The leather is in good enough shape to keep wearing for a while but the cost to have resoled in NYC is prohibitive. After reading AZB's thread about the inexpensive fixing up of a used car in DR I thought about sending several pairs of older shoes with my girlfriend to DR when she goes on Sunday and having them resoled there. I could then have her bring a few pairs back to me and maybe leave a few pairs there in DR.

I know the price would have to be less in DR but how is the quality of the work of cobblers? I know I may sound cheap and will probably buy a new pair this weekend anyway but it would be good to have a few pairs of functioning back up shoes for work.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
... I know the price would have to be less in DR but how is the quality of the work of cobblers? I know I may sound cheap and will probably buy a new pair this weekend anyway but it would be good to have a few pairs of functioning back up shoes for work.
I've never had repairs done but, I saw shoe shine guys in POP (next to the hospital) fixing shoes and their work was very good. That group were all Haitians.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I know of a few cobblers in Los Charimicos if you are heading to the North of the island.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
My girlfriend's family lives in La Union so not too far to Charamicos. Is the quality of the repair good?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
There is also a shoe repair "hospital" located diagonally across the intersection from Centro Medical Bournigal on Calle Antera Mota in Puerto Plata.