Antique cork screws

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have been a collector of corkscrews (wine) for a number of years. Although I would not normally seek these items in the DR (as they are too hard to find among all the beer cans) I wonder if there are antique stores or flea markets that I can visit in the Capital area.

Thanks in advance for your help,
JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
He He

John,
Maybe you can do us a favor, can you give batich a lesson in buying and using a corkscrew? http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/55427-playero-sosua-little-problem-big-shame.html?highlight=playero

Thats funny-dont recall ever reading that tread since I normally dont read his stuff-especially after he posted something about trying to find a goat or goat milk , or his friend owing 15 grand, bla, bla, bla.
But, getting back to the corkscrew, thats what happens when you try to open a screw top bottle with a corkscrew!
Thanks for the laugh.
john

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I have been a collector of corkscrews (wine) for a number of years. Although I would not normally seek these items in the DR (as they are too hard to find among all the beer cans) I wonder if there are antique stores or flea markets that I can visit in the Capital area.

Thanks in advance for your help,
JOHN

Where do we humans get this urge to collect things? could it be our evolutionary line from lemurs, a class of primates similar in appearance to squirrels? Anyway, I also like to collect things, but corkscrews? So I did a quick google search and came up with over 900 hits for "corkscrew collector". There's even a corkscrew collector club in Canada, with their own page! I have a drawerfull of broken down corkscrews, and now, instead of buying new ones, I've become adept at opening wine bottles using the most rudimentary technology. By the way, I have a Pre-Columbian drill bit. I found it south of San Juan de la Maguana. At first I thought it was a fossil molar belonging to some unidentified mammal. However, my son-in-law Heath, a full-blooded Lakota, on a recent trip to the DR identified it as a Native American Pre-Columbian drill bit. By the way, I'm willing to trade it for a Pre-Columbian corkscrew...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A flea market is called a "pulga" here. Literally meaning "flea".

In Santo Domingo there are two on Sundays - a small antiques and bric-a-brac market in a little square off Calle Las Damas, just next to the Pante?n Nacional, and the huge market that is held under the overpass at the end of Ave. Luper?n, where it connects with the highway leading to San Cristobal.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A flea market is called a "pulga" here. Literally meaning "flea".

In Santo Domingo there are two on Sundays - a small antiques and bric-a-brac market in a little square off Calle Las Damas, just next to the Pante?n Nacional, and the huge market that is held under the overpass at the end of Ave. Luper?n, where it connects with the highway leading to San Cristobal.

Thanks-one small problem-I fly in once a month arriving at about 4:30PM on Sunday and I leave Friday nites on the 6:30PM flight to NY.
What I am going to do is try to educate a couple of friends of mine with photos on my laptop to buy a few for me when I'm not there.
JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Where do we humans get this urge to collect things? could it be our evolutionary line from lemurs, a class of primates similar in appearance to squirrels? Anyway, I also like to collect things, but corkscrews? So I did a quick google search and came up with over 900 hits for "corkscrew collector". There's even a corkscrew collector club in Canada, with their own page! I have a drawerfull of broken down corkscrews, and now, instead of buying new ones, I've become adept at opening wine bottles using the most rudimentary technology. By the way, I have a Pre-Columbian drill bit. I found it south of San Juan de la Maguana. At first I thought it was a fossil molar belonging to some unidentified mammal. However, my son-in-law Heath, a full-blooded Lakota, on a recent trip to the DR identified it as a Native American Pre-Columbian drill bit. By the way, I'm willing to trade it for a Pre-Columbian corkscrew...

It's hugh and fascinating. The really good ones going back 150-200 years cost hundreds and thousands of $$$.
Take a look at Ebay. This morning there were 3 that were going to sell in the $300++ range within the next 4 hours.
I would also test the pricing on e bay for your drill bit.
Hey you never know!
john