High Prices at Farmacia San Rafael (Sosua)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Farmacia San Rafael is located in the Texaco area.

Prices at San Rafael are higher than at Farmacia Sosua, on the main street next to "little" Playero, and the farmacias in Charamicos. Yesterday, for example, because Farmacia Sosua was closed for inventory, I went to San Rafael to get Nasonex, a nasal spray, for my wife (even though I know prices are too high). When told the price was RD$2000+, I said that is a lot more than we pay at Farmacia Sosua. The clerk denied this, but I said no thanks. I then called to one of the farmacias in Charamicos and then delivered it by motorcycle. The price was RD$1,860 plus RD$20 for the motorcycle, a saving s of close to RD$200.

Had a similar experience with Zyrtec recently. San Rafael was asking RD600+ for what cost me RD$400+ elsewhere.

I could give other examples.

Sometime ago their prices were way out of line and it turned out the employees were pocketing the extra money. New employees were hired and prices now on a computer. They show you the screen so you can see the price yourself.

Too bad, Sosua can use two good farmacias. But, fortunately, the farmacias in Charamicos will deliver when Farmacia Sosua doesn't have what you need.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The best prices can be found at the Farmacia on the main road just past the light at Caribe Tours in Charamicos. Also they know what to recommend for any problem. In San Rafael the people that work there only know about condoms and other similar items.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sky, I think you are talking about Farmacia Alberto, tel 809-571-1034. They are very good, well stocked, good prices, and long hours.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sky, I think you are talking about Farmacia Alberto, tel 809-571-1034. They are very good, well stocked, good prices, and long hours.

I don't know the name, but it is just before Lancer's on the same side of the street.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Ken,

One time I had a problem with my right eye. It was swollen and possibly infected. I went to the Farmacia at the Texaco station. They tried to sell me Visine. I didn?t take it. I went to the place we are talking about in Charamicos. The girl took one look and gave me a small bottle of eye drops called Visimax. This cleared up everything in no time. It was half the price of Visine.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Of course

I have had the same experience with the farmacia next to Texaco. Its a gringo pharmacia and they have gringo prices like much of Sosua. If you want Dominican prices avoid the tourista areas as much as possible. Alberto's farmacia will not change the prices based upon your appearance. Hey!!! its the DR

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Farmacia Sosua on main street doesn't change the prices. Prices are shown on the sticker on each box.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Farmacia Sosua on main street doesn't change the prices. Prices are shown on the sticker on each box.

The Famacia at Texaco charges the same high price for everyone. No discrimination. You are right Ken, the other Farmaciaon on the main street is better. But the one in Charamicos is the best in the area.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
But, fortunately, the farmacias in Charamicos will deliver when Farmacia Sosua doesn't have what you need.

Why not always buy from The farmacias in Charamicos?
... and not just when Farmacia Sosua doesn't have what you need!

After all, they treat you good with prices and you BUY elsewhere????

Here in Santiago, it seems now that all the farmacias are using the computer and they all have the same prices. Before anyone jumps on me, maybe there is still one or two not on the computer.

Also, on the advice of my Dominican wife, I always ask for a "discount" and I always get 10% off the price of all medicines I buy. She seems to believe it is required that they give you the discount if you ask. Anyway, I always ask for a discount even at other places (does not include groceries). On large items, even La Sirena has given me a discount from the original price quoted when I asked (small discount, but still a savings).

Don - SantiagoDR