I need: French/Russian/Piano Lessons in DR and a Spa

Guachupita

Dec 28, 2006
I'm a burned out NYC corporate rat-racer and have dreams and fantasies of wasting away the days in the DR getting caught up with what I consider the luxuries of life: having the time to do exactly what I please.

I'll be doing volunteer work, but in between times I want to wallow in decadence, which to me means taking up my French, Russian and Piano lessons again, and getting my hair and massage done religiously every week.

I also want to take up jewelry making, which I've been doing here for a couple of years. Who knows, possibly even set up a studio.

Any information about any of the above highly appreciated.

Oh, and ballet, must do ballet. And Flamenco.

Possibly winemaking.....LOL!

jamiear

Oct 4, 2006
I work in the DR often. A few years ago, I was here for a year, and I took ballet and flamenco. I took ballet at the National Ballet, and the classes were good, but, even in the adult classes, the girls were young (I was 23 at the time--now 27). I took some floor bar, strength for dancer classes, too, but I can't remember the name of the teacher. He was great, however, and had been recommended to me by and ex-professional dancer here. I also took flamenco classes then, too. If you send me a private message to remind me, I will try to find out the names for you. As far as jewelry, I wanted to do that, but did not, however, I know that there are classes at Chavon school of design--I think that is the one, affiliated with Parsons--in Santo Domingo and in Altos de Chavon. As far as wine making, I wish I knew! I don't know if that is happening here or not. I would just be happy if there were more wine lovers and I could get some well-stored, well-served wine at restaurants! Let me know if you hear anything or if you are in the Santo Domingo and want to drink wine!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is an Alliance Francaise in Santo Domingo, a cultural centre with French lessons for adults.

Massage - there are spas all over town, such as Virginia, Daisy and many others. Hair salons are even easier to find.

Russian lessons - I haven't heard of any, but there are some Russians around, so you never know!

Flamenco - there is a place in Evaristo Morales, can't remember what it's called, but it looks like a Flamenco school.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good point azabache, Santo Domingo (capital) is not the best place to be when you're taking a break from the rat race.

Guachupita

Dec 28, 2006
Sorry everyone for the delay in responding.

Thank you Chirimoya and jamiear for the info!!

Azabache, I'll be based in the outskirts of the Capital and traveling around.

Namaste!

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
The only area where I personally can opine is that of massage. There's nothing in the world greater that a good theraputic massage where the practitioner knows what he/she is doing. I've found that the most satisfying massages are those that are done in the home by a person that you can trust. Having the massage done in your home takes away the necessity of
hopping up in a very relaxed state and then having to drive home or leave to catch a cab. Since you live in the Sto. Domingo area I am able to recommend my masseuse. PM me if you think you might be interested.