Dominican last names

jlnnc

Jan 2, 2007
I am searching for my roots in the DR and I have some last names and a region (Cibao) and a few towns (Aguacate and Loma de Cabrera). Can anyone tell me any information about these names and how common they are? Most of the pictures I've seen show pretty white looking people with all of the names except De Jesus. She was obiviously something else, and of course it's Indian according to family history. (Please don't judge me, could be African, could be anything, that's just what I was told.)

Guzman
Espinal
De Dios
De Jesus
Placencio
Jimenez

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

JC

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Not hard at all.....

If you want to find out if those last names are common, try:

SuperPages.com.

Let your "fingers do the walking" and all your answers will be answered.

Btw: ALL are common, except "Placencio"

C

Chip00

I am searching for my roots in the DR and I have some last names and a region (Cibao) and a few towns (Aguacate and Loma de Cabrera). Can anyone tell me any information about these names and how common they are? Most of the pictures I've seen show pretty white looking people with all of the names except De Jesus. She was obiviously something else, and of course it's Indian according to family history. (Please don't judge me, could be African, could be anything, that's just what I was told.)

Guzman
Espinal
De Dios
De Jesus
Placencio
Jimenez

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

JC

JC - First of all I don't think you have to worry about somebody judging you because your trying to find out about your heritage. For the most part this forum caters to adults albeit with some having a odd sense of humor.

As far as your heritage, your need to decide how you are going to trace it - by matrilineal or patrilineal. Also, most Dominicans have two last names, the first one being from the father and the second from the mother. Finally, the names you have listed are fairly common I'm sure.

So figure on what names you want to research and then the next step would be to make a trip here to the DR to check birth and marriage records at the local gov't records office or maybe in the diocesean church.

Good luck

jlnnc

Jan 2, 2007
Thanks, Chip! I was worried about offending people by saying that the ancestor was Indian as I know that African or Taino issues can be a bit controversial. I'm not trying to deny anything, just saying what I know.

I have both last names on most of the ancestors, so hopefully I can look them up. They weren't baptized as far as I know and didn't attend catholic mass, so church records may not help. I am hoping that the records for more rural areas will be available.

Thanks again for your reply. :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
jlnnc: I doubt that they were not baptized...Best place to start would be the civil registry in the area where they were born,and the local parish records. Even the diosoces(?) records...ifyou have a stating poing with full names.. However, depending on the approximate DOBs, it is more likely to have to travel to the central office in Santo Domingo.

I have seen 1870s records in places like Guayubin, but i do not know whether Loma de Cabrera would have similar records.

Indio, FYI, is a color to Dominicans. Indio claro, Indio oscuro...depending on the tones. Nothing wrong with it...

Good luck.

HB

jlnnc

Jan 2, 2007
Thank you for the reply. I will attempt to find baptismal records, but I'm pretty sure they never had baptisms. I specifically asked and was told not that they knew of for any of their family. Even up until the generation before me. Not sure why or why not, but they weren't. I have a name and a supposed plantation in Dajabon that I may be able to find records for and that the owner (Casimiro Espinal) sent food to the capital after a hurricane in the early 20th century sometime. This may be a better route to go. I do have full names going back 3 generations, so maybe I can find some birth records somewhere as well.

Is Loma de Cabrera a hard place in which to find accomodation? Are people around there pretty friendly?

Thanks again, btw. :)

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
In loma the cabrerra there are a few hotels. There is one accross the street of my mother in law, Calle Sotero Blanc and if i'm not mistaking one at the terminal of the bus that comes from Santo Domingo. Otherwise Dajabon is only a 20 minutes drive from Loma. By the way my sister in law (living in loma is/was married with a Guzman)

Greetings

Johan

ps they are friendly (i have to calculate at least an hour to walk the 1 km distance between mother and sister in law)

Last edited: