Cigars

Sparky1459

Jan 2, 2007
Will be in PC on Feb 4 th. I am very interested in picking up a couple of boxes of Dominican Cigars. This will be our 3rd visit to DR and would agree with some of the previouls forums that pretty much any cigars you buy on the beach will be "bananas".
Are there any places you can get a great box of cigars for a decent price ?

Sparky1459

Jan 2, 2007
We live in Canada vs the US where unfortunately we are taxed heavily on tobaco products. I was particularly interested in local cigar manufacturers or retailers in the Bavaro/Punta Cana area.

jjlargo

Jan 1, 2007
re:cigars

If you walk the beach at Barvaro you will pass a large red building next door to Los Corales. There is a cigar shop there that rolls cigars on site. Ask for Pepe, the manager. I think you will enjoy the cigars they make.

jj

The Hawk

Nov 18, 2005
Two of the best

Try Domenicos or Don Lucas, both come highly recommended for their good quality, locally made product and personal customer service. I bought sixty Don Lucas torpedos last year, a good $5 cigar. Domenicos has a web site. Either one may provide you with transportation to and from the resort (but decency dictates that if they send a driver, you buy some cigars).
Enjoy!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would suggest, if you are a real cigar aficionado, that you take a day trip to La Romana and visit Plaza Caribe. It is a regular stop for buses that go to Santo Domingo. They have all major Dominican brands at reasonable prices.

Or, find FUMO, a very good store in Bavaro.
Or visit the Cigar Museum just outside of Higuey.

Always try just one of the cigars, and see if it is to your liking.

If you were to come to the Santiago area we could visit some of the factories, but you can save that for another trip.

HB

wtlaw

Dec 21, 2006
Are Fuentes OpusX for sale in the island or they remain "export only" to the States???:ermm: :surprised

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
WTLAW: You can get them at the Caribe Plaza in La Romana, but I found the prices to be exhorbitant. Better of at Lew's place on Wall St.....not kidding...

HB

Sparky1459

Jan 2, 2007
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I do love my cigars and plan on smoking more than my fair share whilst sipping on an after diner drink with the best girlfriend in the world. Life is good in the DR.

C

Chip00

Principe

Just for fun try a "Principe Natural" while your here. They are inexpensive and found everywhere and can be a pretty good smoke if they are fresh. I send boxes back frequently to a friend of mine who works at a large planning firm in Orlando and he's got all of the big wig aficianados there hooked on this cigar.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I bought some expensive cigars at the big supermakert in Santiago, I think its called National. Well after I got back to NY and gave to them to my friend, I happen to see them cheaper in COSTCO!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
there are numerous cigars in the DR that are cheaper than outside the DR. i prefer the cigarillos so i can always get them cheaper in the DR than in the US. a real cigar smoker can easily detect the "fakes" they sell on the beach. cohibas are usually sold in the wrong box and the wrappers look like someone zerox'd them. :laugh: some cigars also have a raised seal. if in doubt, just go to a cigar website and print the wrappers of the cigars you want to buy. as far as stores that sell cigars, be wary. some of them will sell you fakes as well.

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
Are Fuentes OpusX for sale in the island or they remain "export only" to the States???:ermm: :surprised

They have them at Don Lucas, but they were quite pricy.

I am really enjoying the cigars I purchased there (Don Lucas), and the person they had working there was actually really knowledgeable. It is expensive compared to buying off the beach, but at the same time...the cigars are stored properly and do not make use of any part of a banana tree.