Manners

E

Emily

What are the manners like of the common people in the Dominican Republic?

E

ECH, M.D.

The manners of the "common people" as you put it are far better than their affluent counterpart. The "common people" are very warm, friendly and gracious. They not only have good manners but they display them!

D

DEF

Where have you been? Have you ever tried driving in this Country? Have you ever gone to a Dominican home and watched them eat? Have you ever heard one say thank-you when the waiter/waitress brings them there meal. Come on know they are not the best manneered people!

E

ECH, M.D.

The people I am referring to don't have the money to go to a restaurant to eat and they certainly can't afford a car! And no, they don't eat their salad with a salad fork....they usually only have one utensil but they do well with that. And the little limpia botas that shine my shoes....all get DOUBLE the normal fee, simply because they always smile and say "thank you." Remember, we are talking about the "common folk" and not the affluent ones who think they can walk on water. You treat the "common people" with respect and kindness instead of placing them in a subservient position and it will be returned ten fold.Think you have been confusing the "common people" with the hoity toity of Dominican culture and their pretentiousness and over bearing arrogance. You have not met the common folk. When you do, you will find some good people.

N

Natasha

Can I just say that I agree with you 1000%!

Regards, Natasha

N

Natasha

Well, from what I know, Dr. Ernest has been retired in the DR for the past 8 years. I sense a very generalizing, condescending and antogonistic tone in your message...perhaps we can agree that there are people that lack manners in all circles?

Regards, Natasha

S

Susanne

Real manners are not only about style - such as how you eat your salad! Real good manners is whether you are able to make other people feel good and relaxed in your company. And generally Dominicans are good at doing that - with a smile and a wink in the eye.

Put on all your airs and call them "good manners". I would rather be treated with natural kindness and warmth.

There is an old story about a lord who invited a poor stranger to dine with him. Naturally, the stranger knew nothing about all the different, fancy things that were placed on the table to eat with. He simply drank the soup from the bowl and used the knife to pick up the peas. The lord - rather than smiling or even getting offended by this - then did the same so his guest wouldn't feel uncomfortable by his social blunder. Now, THAT is good manners - even if it isn't the correct etiquette.

Regards, Susanne

L

louise

Susanne - you said it! Thanks for the story... Stor hilsen, Louise

J

jim

lets see now,dominicans are all beautiful,they have great manners,wonderful personalities,there is allmost no crime,the food and beer is the best in the world,and they are allmost giving the land away free.If i didn,t know better i would think this must be heaven,the DR is just like anywhere else,it has good people and bad, beautiful and ugly,safe places and dangerous,people seem to love it or hate it with no in between.........jim

I

IMO

Please excuse me, I am a middle Dominican, I don't think I can walk on water and I certainly do not consider myself as an over bearing arrogant.

Last year I returned to the island from the US and gave 100 bucks to a guy (common folk) in the airport just for carrying my luggage a few steps to my car, he walked away din't even smile and didn't even say thank you. Now, if that is not bad manners I don't know what it is.

I agree with the person who referred to the driving in the DR, pedestrians are considered less than humans I have even heard public car driver say that if they hit someone they would put the reverse and finished the job because it's easier to get out of jail if you hit someone and kill him and don't have a drivers silence (and 90% of all public car drivers don't have any kind of legal documentation)

Regards

I

IMO

WELL SAID - CARAJO!! :))

Well said!

Congratulations for you sincerity.

E

ECH, M.D.

All I can say is if you gave some baggage handler a 100 dollar tip you are far from "middle of the road" Dominican. Just who were you trying to impress? Throwing your money around sure did not impress the porter who probably thought you were a bit pretnetious. And as I said......the common folk Dominicans don't have the money for a car but I agree with you about those that do have cars. They have no respect for pedestrians......and neither does the government with their building projects when they force pedestrians into the street but do not create a safe zone for them. BTW: those that are overbearing and arrogant never see themselves that way!

I

IMO

Jim, I desagree with you, there are a lot of nice people in the US and you know it.

For one thing, they will yield to people crossing the streets and that a feat implossible to find here in "wonderland" DR.

I

IMO

a 100 pesos.

I am not that crazy or that wealthy.

And I gave him the 100 peso bill because I didnt have a 20, or a 10 peso bill, now that I think about it, I should have given him a paddle in the back and a big thank you.

I

IMO

and another thing

haven't you heard about the world BOCHINCHE?

Try going to LA 41 St. in barrio Capotillo, I am sure you'll find many commun folks interested in showing you good manners, with a nife or a gun that is.

B

brittany

Obviously not everyone their has good manners, but of you compared them with the average person in the US(and I'm from North Dakota) they have great manners. They know how to treat tourist cause if they came to our country they wouldn't be treated with any sort of respect from most people. When I vacationed their I only met 1 rude person the whole time was their. What does that have to say? Brittany

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: a 100 pesos.

I am confused......first you said you gave the porter 100 BUCKS now you say you gave him 100 pesos......BIG difference. And yes, you should have taken it back.....he was rude......but not ALL Dominicans are that way. The airport workers are not your average Dominican for many reasons not to be discussed here.

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: and another thing

I am so damn glad you mentioned that and now I can point to a success story. You see I KNOW WHERE CAPOTILLO IS. Been there many times. There was a little 14 year old shoeshine boy from Capotillo that I met on the Conde one day 15 years ago. He was very sad. Bottom line, he had been orphaned about 3 weeks earlier. After much difficulty, I adopted him legally and made him part of my family. Met the remnants of his family who lived close to LA 41. Was a guest in their home and although it was not much......they shared all they had and were gracious about it. Met many of his friends, cousins, etc. And know a lot there now. Maybe I am safer there than you are? Oh, my son, Jose, he learned English very well, finished high school and going to college and works for the NYC Department of Transportation and has a good job, getting a good education and has done well for a "little limpia bota from Capotillo"! Thanks for giving me an entre to tell my little tale. I am proud of him and it! oH BOCHINCHE......You got me there.......don't know what it means

T

Tom

Brittany:

"They know how to treat tourist cause if they came to our country they wouldn't be treated with any sort of respect from most people. When I vacationed their I only met 1 rude person the whole time was their. What does that have to say? Brittany "

I think you hit on a good point there, the way TOURISTS are treated. I wonder what perception Dominicans would have of the US if the only place they visited was Disney World or a posh US Hotel/resort? they wuld certainly think US Citizens have great "manners".

Tom