Baby Vaccinations

bettebo

Aug 6, 2006
Hi All,

My friend from the UK plans to bring her baby to live in the DR and was wondering if it is possible for him to get his vaccinations there instead of waiting to have them done in the UK.

The baby will approx 5 weeks old at the time of travel.

Thanks for any advise,

Xxxx

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
We moved here from the Uk a few months ago. I do not know about the situation with baby vaccinations but I have been pleasantly surprised by the standard of doctors and the hospitals here. Unfortunately I have had to visit several doctors and hospitals here both in Santiago and Puerto Plata since I arrived and I felt they went all very clean, well run and exceeded my expectations.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Do you mean the routine vaccinations that every baby gets, or the jabs people get before travelling to tropical countries?

If it's the former, your friend should just make sure the UK ones are up to date and then register with a Dominican paediatrician, an English speaker if possible, and get them to take it from there. The DR schedule follows the US American Pediatric Association model, and is not that different from the British one, apart from vaccinating against chickenpox, which is not routine in the UK.

If it's the latter, I don't know which, if any, are necessary and/or appropriate for such a young baby. She would need to take the advice of her UK GP, I suppose.

We brought our baby son over when he was 4 months old, and I don't remember him having anything that wasn't on the British vaccination schedule before travelling, and we just continued with the DR schedule after arriving and registering with a local paediatrician.

Where are they going to be living?

bettebo

Aug 6, 2006
Sorry, I was talking about routine vacciantions. The baby will be 5 weeks when we plan to travel and so will have received no vaccinations at this time. My friend has been advised it is safe for him to travel without them aslong as he recieves then by the time he is 8 weeks. We live in Cabarete, do you know any good paediatricians in this area??

The father is Dominican and we have in on the case with this also, but would like any advise from expats that we can get!!

Thanks x

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm in the capital so I can't help with doctor recommendations in that area, sorry. Chris used to live there and I remember she once mentioned a good Cabarete-based GP, maybe you could PM her.

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
I have used Servimed in Cabarete and seen both the doctors there. There is a Dominican doctor and a German doctor. They are very good.