I axed Verizon today

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
They arrogantly refused to give me a discount for the two weeks in which I had no service. No more internet and telephone. We are going to be strickly cellular. So to cancel the service we had to go up to Verizon and sit for 1.5 hours waiting to be served. In 1.5 hours the 5 of them processed 15 clients. The kicker was when she told us that to complete the process would require returning in two weeks for the deposit and to close out the account completely.
They get me for 1.5 more hours in two weeks.

The good part is you don't have to listen to me blab as much.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
just check out my history. Maybe there was a day or two where I went to the internet.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Looking at my history it looks like it was 12 days without. The thing is it was at a very critical time for us...as my wife was ready to give birth at any time. We had cell phones but still I would have liked to have the telephone just as backup. What I learned is just how little I needed the phone and internet. cell phones will be fine and internet cafe.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
ugh that's crazy. I need it for work. guess I'll have to get two providers.
Nice to have ya back and congrats!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
oh...you will not get the level of service you had in the other world. We called them several times to come out and fix it. They kept telling us within 24 hours. They never came. Then one day out of the blue...bingo...there the tech was. And this was in Santiago....in a nice area. Furthermore, the internet service is very unstable.

C

Chip00

Scary

For a guy who runs a business out of his home that is downright scary! I unfortunately don't know if anybody else in the Santiago area has high speed internet service. Those sob's at Verizon get me for about $180US a month for phone and internet. BTW the way $120US is for the internet and back home cost me $US35. Oh do I miss a free market!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why am I not surprised they are changing their name back to Codetel when the sale is completed to America Movil, S.A.?

Sep 19, 2005
the kicker snuffy...is they coud care less.... they dont worry about customer satisfaction much there...I dont know why... they figure you NEED them. You would think sooner or later the mentailty of the home depts and the walmrts...making such a killing and wiping out their competition...would show through at some point.. and buisnesses in the DR would see...hey you make them happy the word gets around and EVERYONE is coming through the door...because they know no matter what they will be satisfied.

now in the DR.. they think at the moment only .

for what it is worth...when the power goes out here in NY...you dont get any credit at all for your lost service...I have fought phone companies like crazy with my long distance calling plans... poor connections..... they give the same message.."we are sending a report to technical"

I bet they sent 15 reports...nothing happens

ha ha ha

bob

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Well they are pretty much the only game in town and the economy is doing much better under Leonel so Verizon sees that and sees no need to improve.

C

Chip00

the kicker snuffy...is they coud care less.... they dont worry about customer satisfaction much there...I dont know why... they figure you NEED them. You would think sooner or later the mentailty of the home depts and the walmrts...making such a killing and wiping out their competition...would show through at some point.. and buisnesses in the DR would see...hey you make them happy the word gets around and EVERYONE is coming through the door...because they know no matter what they will be satisfied.

now in the DR.. they think at the moment only .

for what it is worth...when the power goes out here in NY...you dont get any credit at all for your lost service...I have fought phone companies like crazy with my long distance calling plans... poor connections..... they give the same message.."we are sending a report to technical"

I bet they sent 15 reports...nothing happens

ha ha ha

bob

It's very simple - with no COMPETITION they KNOW we need them more than they need us. What do you think would happen if the VERY LIFE of the company depended on them being competitive? Adapt to survive or PERISH! They don't care because they have no fear of perishing and besides they can charge 5 TIMES WHAT they charge in the states with a TENTH or less of the operating costs. RESULT obscene profits! What type of margins do you think these guys are operating on? They should put all the owners in jail and throw away the key. What they are doing is downright vulgar!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Be prepared for more grief. More than one person that I know closed their account with Verizon only to have them keep billing for months. One guy owed 30,000 pesos and was refused a phone two years later until he paid. I am serious.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
SKY...you have to complete the process and have cancellations documents in hand. Yes, do hold onto them.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Here is a question. Can someone plug in a wireless modem and charge his neighbors to use the service? My thinking would be that you set it up so that your neighbors get access by having a timeslot for when they use it. So you limit the number of users at any one time to keep quality at a decent level. Might make for a good way to make a little money and cuts Verizon down a notch. Ten to Twenty people using one Verizon account. I like it. Not my cup of tea for a biz but thought I would throw the idea out there. I think it can be done. Why not....all these phone kiosk are using VOIP to make phone calls while charging you a regular phone rate.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Talking about modems....I have just bought a Netscape one in the Uk which they guaranteed me would work here. Now I have opened the box it says in part of the emga complicated set up rules that you have to choose which country you live in as this affects......something! As the modem is for sale i the European Union, without going through the set up I assume it will only have European countries. So, question is, which one are we like??? Spain, Norway...I have no idea. I've tried checking the net to no avail. Anyone any idea??

Thanks
Matilda

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Snuffy

I don't know how WIFI works there but here in NYC there are WIFI Hot Spots all over. Anyone can pick one up. You would never know when your neighbor was logged on. If I had WIFI in my computer I could probably be getting free internet service as we speak.

I guess if they came to your house and used your computer that would be the only way you could regulate it-- Snuffy's Internet Cafe!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I assumed there was a way to control it through the modem software. I'm pretty sure it can be done one way or another. You can block anyone else from using your wifi.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Found this below...I think it can be done quite easily...unless Verizon has some way to detect that several computers are using one account and they shut you down. I doubt that. Would like to hear from others.

To keep your network private, you can use one of the following methods:

* Wired Equivalency Privacy (WEP) uses 64-bit or 128-bit encryption. 128-bit encryption is the more secure option. Anyone who wants to use a WEP-enabled network has to know the WEP key, which is usually a numerical password.

* >WiFi Protected Access (WPA) is a step up from WEP and is now part of the 802.11i wireless network security protocol. It uses temporal key integrity protocol encryption. As with WEP, WPA security involves signing on with a password. Most public hotspots are either open or use WPA or 128-bit WEP technology.

* Media Access Control (MAC) address filtering is a little different from WEP or WPA. It doesn't use a password to authenticate users - it uses a computer's physical hardware. Each computer has its own unique MAC address. MAC address filtering allows only machines with specific MAC addresses to access the network. You must specify which addresses are allowed when you set up your router. This method is very secure, but if you buy a new computer or if visitors to your home want to use your network, you'll need to add the new machines' MAC addresses to the list of approved addresses.

there probably exist software programs that can be added that allow for more control.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Hum--I thought that they were talking about keeping your data private--free from being compromised not the service.

My friend installs them in Florida. We just had this conversation. The Hot Spots in the houses that he installs them in are 100 feet --I'm assuming in all directions.

I'm sure there are more knowlegeable people out there about this topic. I know--just this!