jail is no picnic,no food no picnic

Status
Not open for further replies.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
lambada asked me to relate some of my experience's in jail here to give people the real story.got a flu today so wont tell all in 1 go.worst experience out of the 3 times was when a really big guy was brought into the "cage"at around 3pm in the day after he was shot in both knee caps by,well you can guess who.he had 2 blood soaked bandages around his knees,1 of his legs had broken as the bullet in 1 had gone straight through his bone.
no doctor or medical assistance was brought to him until he was moved "somewhere" the following day at around 1pm.he spent the night groaning and shivering in agony on the bare floor.the only medication he recieved was some sort of antiseptic pills or anti-biotic which i and 2 other guys chipped in for,opened them up and spread the powder on his bleeding wounds.
it was like something from the american civil war after a battle.to coin the phrase"if he was a horse he would have been shot(dead)out of mercy.
there is a "new"48 hr law now which says you get sent to the fortalaza or freed after this time but i dont think it applies all the time.no beds no clean water no food unless you have some 1 bring it in for you though t6he majorety of times the scraps that are brought in are shared "more or less".if you are "in"and dont have anybody to bring you food water smokes medicine etc:its best when some heavy criminals are in the cage at the same time as they normally have a nbr of people bringing them food water etc throughout the day and they are generally ok intellegent guys who share and will keep an eye on you.but if you are unlucky to get stuck in with some petty thief,ie:someone who robs a kid's bicycle,gas tank,cell phone etc,these nickle and dime guys will have no one to bring them ANYTHING!so your starvation diet starts there.these guys are also the ones who will try and intimadate you and gaNG UP ON ANY NEW COMERS until a REAL heavy and or his crew come in.24 hour lock up for every 1(some places in the world people complaine about an hour out of the cell!).thats the start of it now ,any queries more than welcome if intrested,lots more to tell but as i said feeling low today so more later..................

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thanks for the insight. Obviously I never hope to be able to share the experience.

Umm how did you end up there in the first place? I am not passing judgement because I feel it can happy to anyone- just curious.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i have visited people in police stations here. the holding cells were just disgusting rooms with no bathrooms. I was able to free the person but I would never want to end up in those places.
AZB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If only criminals landed up in jail, the horrendous conditions might serve as a deterrent, but this is not the case.
It's more to do with how much money you have or how good your connections are, as to whether you land up in the pokey, or not.
Dominican prisons are straight out of Midnight Express.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
why?thats what i asked the cops!

Thanks for the insight. Obviously I never hope to be able to share the experience.

Umm how did you end up there in the first place? I am not passing judgement because I feel it can happy to anyone- just curious.
well the 1st time i was being mugged by a guy with a knife in a little park.thank God i wasent drunk so my reactions were a bit sharper than his so i disarmed him and proceeded to kick his ass accordingly,bas%%%d had just thretened my life!some one called the cops he disposed of the knife and with his fast talking in dominican had me slung in the cooler for assault!
cops knew this guy wasent going or couldent pay to get out so they went for the money and arrested me,and would you believe the guy pressed charges for medical expences etc to boot!
there was a hole to poo and pee in in the cell but the STENCH which could be smelt all about the cage made you want to puke as well as do nbr 1 and 2!
myself and 3 others admitted to "holding on"to a nbr 2 for 3 days.ultimatly something has to give then you have to suffer the further indignity of crapping in front of all and sundry,makes ye kind of nervous(for a nbr of reasons!).violence is rife in the cage,more on that later...............

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Guess again......

If only criminals landed up in jail, the horrendous conditions might serve as a deterrent, but this is not the case.
It's more to do with how much money you have or how good your connections are, as to whether you land up in the pokey, or not.
"The Rock", I believe Brad Davis would disagree with you!!. There was no AIDS to worry about in Midnight Express, jeje!.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
well the 1st time i was being mugged by a guy with a knife in a little park.thank God i wasent drunk so my reactions were a bit sharper than his so i disarmed him and proceeded to kick his ass accordingly,bas%%%d had just thretened my life!some one called the cops he disposed of the knife and with his fast talking in dominican had me slung in the cooler for assault!
cops knew this guy wasent going or couldent pay to get out so they went for the money and arrested me,and would you believe the guy pressed charges for medical expences etc to boot!
there was a hole to poo and pee in in the cell but the STENCH which could be smelt all about the cage made you want to puke as well as do nbr 1 and 2!
myself and 3 others admitted to "holding on"to a nbr 2 for 3 days.ultimatly something has to give then you have to suffer the further indignity of crapping in front of all and sundry,makes ye kind of nervous(for a nbr of reasons!).violence is rife in the cage,more on that later...............
I'm sure it's of little consolation to hear that was a virtually identical story to my "1st night" in jail in the DR.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
no but so true

no, no consolation but certainly another affirmation that even defending your life can land YOU in jail.as i noticed in 1 of your other quotes, here its all about the money and the connections.im sure too it is of no consolation to yourself either but i and probably you too have heard of other "gringos"who have experienced the exact same treatment when defending themselves.
"and remember""BE CAREFULL OUT THERE"......(STREETS OF SAN FRANSISCO LINE).

A

apostropheman

"hill street blues" i think :bunny::bunny:
no, no consolation but certainly another affirmation that even defending your life can land YOU in jail.as i noticed in 1 of your other quotes, here its all about the money and the connections.im sure too it is of no consolation to yourself either but i and probably you too have heard of other "gringos"who have experienced the exact same treatment when defending themselves.
"and remember""BE CAREFULL OUT THERE"......(STREETS OF SAN FRANSISCO LINE).

C

Chip00

Manunut

I just found this post and now understand how you can so skeptical of Dominicans. All I can say is there is a significant criminal element in this society as there are in others. I hope after things cool off you'll have a change of heart. Also, I myself can recognize a definite difference in a lot of the people in the AI areas - they really are a lot more tiguere types there for sure.

If you need a lawyer I can recommend an honest one here in Santiago that Hillbilly recommended to me. He charges Dominican prices to gringos and if you don't know this already, Hillbilly's advice is rock solid so I'm sure this lawyer is good.

Take care,

Chip

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I'm sure it's of little consolation to hear that was a virtually identical story to my "1st night" in jail in the DR.

Mine also. Important to remember that any non-Dominican who drives in the DR can experience this fate. All it takes is a drunken motochoncho driver who runs into you, to file a complaint and have you arrested. In my case I had the choice of paying a monetary settlement or waiting 2 days in jail (it was a weekend) for the US consul to get around to investigating. After a few hours, I paid, and haven't driven in the DR since.

Dominican jails are a great detterent, why should the Govt feed you till your satisfied (that costs tax payers money) , Now that you have been to as Dominican jail you don't want to go back ;), Unlike in the states where you get 3 square meals a day and free medical care. DR should be a model for all Govts to follow.

How about the other 2 times? Does anyone else see a pattern here?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Dominican jails are a great detterent, why should the Govt feed you till your satisfied (that costs tax payers money) , Now that you have been to as Dominican jail you don't want to go back ;), Unlike in the states where you get 3 square meals a day and free medical care. DR should be a model for all Govts to follow.
Absolutely, and police and corrections officers should be paid minimum wage as the DR proves they will still fight to get the job.;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Oh good, you worked out how to start a thread, manunut. I feared my explanation may not be clear, me not being a technologically minded person. :ermm:

I suggested manunut may want to post his experiences because although we've had quite a few members with a one-off jail experience, I hadn't heard of anyone with 3 and it is always educational to hear from someone who has been there. I've had plenty of experience of visiting people in jail here, but visiting and being an inmate are 2 entirely different things.

So let's hear the whole story. Carry on. :)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dominican jails are a great deterrent, why should the Govt feed you till your satisfied (that costs tax payers money) , Now that you have been to as Dominican jail you don't want to go back ;), Unlike in the states where you get 3 square meals a day and free medical care. DR should be a model for all Govts to follow.
I agree, as long as they don't imprison, innocent people, which, unfortunately, happens quite frequently.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
It's only the poor Dominicans that can't aford to eat in jail, The ones with money eat well, have cell phones etc.and your propably going to see a lot more criminals with all the higher prices and not a lot of work.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
much appreciated........

Manunut

I just found this post and now understand how you can so skeptical of Dominicans. All I can say is there is a significant criminal element in this society as there are in others. I hope after things cool off you'll have a change of heart. Also, I myself can recognize a definite difference in a lot of the people in the AI areas - they really are a lot more tiguere types there for sure.

If you need a lawyer I can recommend an honest one here in Santiago that Hillbilly recommended to me. He charges Dominican prices to gringos and if you don't know this already, Hillbilly's advice is rock solid so I'm sure this lawyer is good.

Take care,

Chip
thank's very much for offering lawyer's nbr.yes would appreciate it very much as i have a few loose ends i need to clean up without being taken to the cleaners!i live in santiago too so please forward,best regards,M.U.N

Status
Not open for further replies.