Dolphin Swimming & PADI Diving

J

Julielou

Hello everyone!

Please could someone tell me where it is possible to swim with dolphins in a natural and humane environment - not at cruel, cramped, exploitive Manati Park!!!!

We will be staying in Puerto Plata at the Riu Merengue but don't mind travelling.

Also I'm looking to go from being a completely green diver to getting PADI Open Water certified - any advice or recommendations.

Thanks in advance and here's hoping that I have more joy than on the POP Report Message Board!

H

Helen

Hi...Don't know about the swimming with Dolphins bit...But as far as the certification for PADI is concerned...Last time I was in PP, saw that some of the all inclusive hotels include a complimentary scuba dive lesson with their package. As well, there are some hotels which offer a 3 day diving "course" after which you can get PADI certified. I did not attend the course since I already have a PADI cert so I do not know what it is like or how comprehensive the lessons are...The hotel I saw this offered at was at the PPV. You might want to check with the Riu Merengue if they offer something similar. Hope this info helps!

J

John

I just got back from Puerrta Plata and would reccomend North Coast Diver's in Sosua. Very helpful and very professional. I stayed at a resoert that used SeaPro divers and even they reccomended North Coast if that tells you anything.

T

trina

Good luck on your trip. Best diving company around is in Sosua, with North Coast Divers. Just a hint, you might want to be a little nicer to DR1 if you want people's help. It is you who is looking for help, why are you so unkind?

J

Julielou

I was not being 'unkind' to DR1 - I believe that DR1 is merely an inanimate message board albeit one with friendly, helpful and mostly objective netizens.

Are you employed by the DR tourist police or something? Or has free speech been banned from anywhere in DR. I hope you are not indicative of the type of person I will meet there.

As a person from the United Kingdom, I am proud to be part of a nation of animal lovers. I don't know where you are from but in my eyes, cruelty of any animal is something I do not want to support, see, or cause - in fact I will take steps to prevent it. I admire and respect the special link between dolphins and humans and refuse to promote or partake in explotative 'entertainment'.

I found it amusing to be classed as unkind. Trying reading the article from the link at the very bottom and then tell me who is unkind. If the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society believe that torture is carried out here then I will not condone the park. OK.

PS Thanks to the people who have given helpful comments.

"GRD ACTION ALERT Dolphins Kept in Narrow Space Like Battery Hens German Tour Operators Boycott Horrible Dolphinarium in the Dominican Republic

Unscrupulous business men operate one of the world's most appalling dolphinariums in the Dominican Republic, a vacationers' paradise. Seven bottlenose dolphins are vegetating in Manati Park Bavaro near Punta Cana in tiny concrete pools to perform several shows a day. Additionally, swim-with-dolphins programs are daily offered to the tourists. The shows and the permanent contact with people put the captured dolphins under additional stress.

German tour operators, such as LTU, Kreutzer-Touristik, Neckermann, TUI, and their associated companies support the protests voiced by German Dolphin Conservation Society (Gesellschaft zur Rettung der Delphine - GRD) and Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society (WDCS) and no longer sell Manati Park tickets.

"Unfortunately, a countless number of German tourists still visit the Park out of ignorance. This money allows the Park to continue to torture the dolphins," says a GRD spokesperson. Niki Entrup, chief executive of WDCS Germany, visited the dolphinarium and is shocked about the conditions he found: "According to the new EU directive on keeping conditions of wild animals in captivity, this dolphinarium would have to close down immediately. Tourists should remember this fact and not visit Manati Park." GRD and WDCS agree: "Close the dolphinarium at Manati Park!"

In spite of the protests, Manati Park imported two new dolphins from Cuba a few days ago, their total number now amounting to seven.

So far, the authorities of the Dominican Republic have done nothing to stop the torturing of the dolphins. GRD and WDCS therefore urge all tourists planning a visit to this country to boycott Manati Park. European tour operators are called upon to join in the German operators' boycott.

For further information, please contact GRD.

Please send your protest to the following persons, requesting that the dolphinarium at Manati Park be immediately closed down:

Dr. Ram?n Ovidio Sanchez Pena Director Dpto. Vida Silvestre Fax. 001 - 809 227 1268 Email: vida.silvestre@codetel.net.do

and

Cecilia Hernandez Pena Sub-Directora Dpto. Vida Sivestre (CITES) Fax. 001 - 809 227 1268 Email: vida.silvestre@codetel.net.do "

W

Wendy

Thank You for this info we were going to swim with the dolphins but now will definitley NOT be going. We had no idea this was the case. It is too bad more people did not have this info before going as I am sure they would not go to Manati Park as well. We will not go on the jeep tours as well to see any Cock fights I realize this is how the locals make money but I am sure they can find other ways of making mone. Thank You for the info Wendy

J

Julielou

I understand that there is a chance of dolphins when you are swimming in the sea anyway (scuba or snorkelling) - it might be worth seeing if there are any particular spots where this happens (eg Sousa).

Thanks for the info on cock fighting, Wendy - are there any jeep tours that you know of that don't promote this as 'entertainment'.

Julie

W

Wendy

Hi Julie No I don't know of any that do not watch the cock fights but I really haven't researched it and have never been. wendy