i want to bring an old computer on my next trip

A

apostropheman

an old desktop style, obviously used.

should i anticipate a hassle at sdq?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't even think of it. Not worth the hassle..Maybe the case in one of your bags, but not the monitor.

HB

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Computer

Laptops have been no problem for me. Newer ones just as good as a desktop.

A

apostropheman

lo siento...i meant only the case and contents. no monitor, keyboard or even mouse.
Don't even think of it. Not worth the hassle..Maybe the case in one of your bags, but not the monitor.

HB
i'm planning on putting it ina bad just big enough to hold it and some padding, like a comforter or the like.

i've made about 10 trips to the DR thru 4 different airports and have never had my bags opened entering the country...i probably just jinxed myself, so i'll keep a $10 in my shirt pocket just in case:cheeky:

A

apostropheman

i happen to have access to a decent desktop and a friend in need of just that.

i wish i could afford an extra laptop:cheeky::bunny:
Laptops have been no problem for me. Newer ones just as good as a desktop.

C

Chip00

lo siento...i meant only the case and contents. no monitor, keyboard or even mouse.
i'm planning on putting it ina bad just big enough to hold it and some padding, like a comforter or the like.

i've made about 10 trips to the DR thru 4 different airports and have never had my bags opened entering the country...i probably just jinxed myself, so i'll keep a $10 in my shirt pocket just in case:cheeky:

Just a few points to "prepare" you so the yokels don't shake you down.

1. Dress like a gringo as much as possible. Shorts with fish belly white legs get extra points as do ugly shirts and funky wide brim hats.

2. Don't speak Spanish if you know it.

3. Smile a lot.

4. If they happen to point you over to the line to go through the "scanner" stick your stuff in one end and when it comes out nonchalantly grab you stuff and head out the exit door like you know what you're doing before they have a chance to open your bags.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
an old desktop style, obviously used.

should i anticipate a hassle at sdq?

Today's electronics are incredibly small and compact compared to what they were just a few years ago and I've found that these days you can put just about anything (electronic) inside your carry-on. For example. I brought thru SDQ, a 15 inch LCD TV set in the same carry-on where I carried my laptop...and there was plenty room left over for other things. If you wish to bring in a desktop PC with a monitor, no problem if you bring one of the newer (small footprint desktops) such as the HP s7320n Slimline PC. This PC will easily fit inside your carry-on luggage with room left over for the keyboard, LCD monitor and other accessories.
It's OK to tell the truth about whether or not you are bringing electronics
into the country. In none of my many trips have I been challenged at customs. You already know what you might do if you are challenged.

Just dont fly into Santiago they seem to check every bag lately, better off in SDQ or Puerto Plata, Punta Cana is absolutely the best to bring in things as long as you look like a tourist you walk right thru customs, but it is so damm far a drive. :(

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Computers

Unless they changed the rules recently, a personal computer is not taxable. Last year I brought in a brand new HP desktop in a homemade bag made from a cloth laundry basket. NO PROBLEMS. In a separate carry-on I had the keyboard and under it I had a 15" LCD monitor/TV. That I was concerned about. They did not question the Desktop when I told them what it was, but did stop me for the carry-on with the keyboard, I repeatedly told the guy it was the keyboard for the desktop and he said, oh, ok. I am a gringo, and like I said, they KNEW it was a Desktop last year, did not even look at it.......

This year I returned with my personal laptop, no problems.

And yes, EVERYTHING goes through the x-ray at Santiago Airport. Including those bags one wears around their waist.

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
When I first moved here brought a desktop pc with me in my suit case through POP from the UK, bar a dent in the case without problem. On the same trip i also brought two laptops and an xbox of all things. I have since on other journeys moved laptops and other computer equipment between the two countries without a problem. My experience however is based only on POP and using a charter airline. My advice is to remove the hard disk, if you can put it in an appropriate static proof bag, and keep it with you, so as at least if you DO lose the machine, you don't lose your data.
Jon