crazy weather: will it affect tourism?

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
+11 celius today in montreal...in january when the normal temperature is 20 degrees lower!!! it's pretty much been mild for a month. we have no snow and lots of golf courses opened this week. squirrels are everywhere. we should have 2' of snow by now. it's really bad for alot of businesses here. i thought that i'd never say it, but i miss the cold and the snow.

rest of eastern canada and i guess usa eastern seaboard is the same.

my question is: will people who have not booked going south yet or are last minute types...will they NOT travel south this winter? seems that the winter is supposed to be very mild. temperatures for balance of january seem to be mostly above zero with little snow in the forecast....yikes!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not to worry.
Huge snowstorms in the west are blasting Colorado so bad, they are causing avalanches.
As the weather travels West to East, I presume the eastern seaboard is about to get a white surprise.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It's 70F degrees here in Manhattan, something tells me I do not need to gas up the snowblower this week. It looks like we broke the 1967 record high of 68F.

tambo'

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
In Europe it's the same, unusually warm winter, no snow in the alps, mild temperatures everywhere this winter. Maybe the DR will see less tourists, less need to flee the cold. But then, if you can't ski without snow, you can still go lie on a beach. Intersting perspective, will global warming harm Dominican tourism? What to do if Halifax and Oslo get their own palm tree beaches :)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
You know what they say.
In like a lamb, out like a lion.
Hold onto your winter woolies, here it comes.
As sales of these have been way down in the Northeast, do ya think we could market them in the DR as "Motochoncho-throwers"? Bet Alan would buy one.
frontview1.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You know what they say.
In like a lamb, out like a lion.
Hold onto your winter woolies, here it comes.
We are under the "El Ni?o" phenomenon spell, so perhaps it's more like "In and out like a lamb, where is the lion?"

Some of the trees are in the beginning stages of blooming!! The tip of the branches of some trees have turned from brown to lime green, which is usually the case prior to them blooming.

Some quotes about the "El Ni?o" phenomenon:

"As of September 2006, El Ni?o is currently active, and is expected to continue into 2007."

"Historically, it has occurred at irregular intervals of 2-7 years and has usually lasted one or two years."

"Wider effects of El Ni?o conditions... In North America, typically, winters are warmer than normal in the upper Midwest states, the Northeast, and Canada, while central and southern California, northwest Mexico and the southeastern U.S., are wetter and cooler than normal. Summer is wetter in the intermountain regions of the U.S. The Pacific Northwest states, on the other hand, tend to experience dry but foggy winters and warm, sunny and precocious springs during an El Ni?o. During a La Ni?a, by contrast, the Midwestern U.S. tends to be drier than normal. El Ni?o is associated with decreased hurricane activity in the Atlantic, especially south of 25? N; this reduction is largely due to stronger wind shear over the tropics."

For the source and more information on El Ni?o click here

-NALs

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As sales of these have been way down in the Northeast, do ya think we could market them in the DR as "Motochoncho-throwers"? Bet Alan would buy one.
Alan has authorized me to send you a down payment.
Please forward all pertinent details for payment, and any laws applicable to churning up motoconchos.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Please forward all pertinent details for payment, and any laws applicable to churning up motoconchos.

I want a wider model and the auger lined with concertina wire so none will get away.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
OK to operate while consuming Presidentes as long as seat-belt is buckled and cell phone is not in use.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
sniff, sniff, a genuine 2007 low rider concho sweeper with the optional concertina wire augers......even me glass eye teers up on that.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
I woke up to a wonderful 55 degree morning here in Rochester (1 hr away from Buffalo) and we are well over 30" shy of snow for our "normal" here in Western NY. My daffodils are over 2" high, my gardenia tree is budding and most of my herbs have all been sprouting like crazy with unheard of growth the past 2 months.

Many of our friends that travel south for the winter have left on their normal dates and are just thankful they are not driving thru blizzards and snow-storms to get to their destinations. Some have not even left yet at as it doesnt look like we are going to get any significant accumulation for a couple weeks or more.

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
Howdy...

This ol' flyboy suggests ya keep an eye on the Northern jetstream. It's running "flat" over Northern US/Southern Canada and the the Great Lakes. When it dips South like it should have, all should be normal or close to it.

I feel sad for the ski operators up your way and the tourism here in South Florida--- taking a hit.

On the bright side...retired fixed income old folks are fine without higher heating bills.

Old dawg Phil

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
To the original question of the thread - this will drastically effect last minute tourists. We are seeing prices dropping. And on top of that with the new passport requirement for US visitors it is hurting us!

As for your "motoconcho thrower" - doesn't it need a hood ornament??? LOL ;)

BrittanyS

Mar 31, 2006
You actually might see an invasion of tourists soon. As predicted by the weather gurus on this site, they were right on. It is now freezing here (in Ontario). Although we have only had about 5 centimeters of snow, the freezing rain and ice pellets make it pretty treacherous, not only underfoot but trying to shovel. (It's really heavy).

The Dominican Republic looks more and more inviting every day (and we only came back about 2 weeks ago after our 21st visit), so much so that I am researching our 2007 trip.

The passport issue has been that for some time, so if they were even thinking of a trip, they should be all set (all papers in order), as we are. There may be a slight hiccup, but I think it will only be shortlived. JMHO.

BrittanyS

Mar 31, 2006
Ooops, forgot to add, I love the "wide angled" concho sweeper. Could I borrow it for the driveway, it would clear everything in one foul sweep.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
Weather here in Miami is great but the damn Presidente beers don't taste the same.... perhaps the alcohol content is not as much or I just am missing the scenery of Sosua!