Bacardi Island vs Paradise Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbear

Dec 24, 2006
We will be travelling to puerto plata this month and I am wondering if anyone knows if one island is nicer than the other? I am travelling with my husband to 2 boys (ages 6 & 10). Any input would be great !:cheeky:

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Ok, I'll start by saying I'm not 100% sure that I've got the 'nicknames' correct, so apologies if this is the wrong way around!

I think that "Paradise Island" is Saona and "Barcadi Island" is Samana.

That being the case, there is only one winner. From the end of December through to the start of March you can go whale watching in Samana Bay before stopping off on "Bacardi Island".

Also, I think Saona would be difficult to get to from Puerto Plata. Samana is still a long drive away, but much closer.

From what I recall of going to Saona (about eight years ago) as part of the trip we stopped in a fresh water lagoon, in the sea... which was odd but very nice! At that time at least, the Island was very deserted, with only about 20 people there (this was in March).

I've done the whale watching tour twice (third time this season!). The Island is much busier (because so many people do the whale watching then go to the island for lunch) but I'm sure if you want that 'marooned on a desert island' feeling, you could walk around it and find a quiet spot!

Both Islands are beautiful so neither will disappoint.

The whale watching is excellent, so don't miss it. Book through a decent operator though.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They are totally different places!!!

If memory serves, "Bacard? " island is really Cayo Levantado in the Bay of Saman? ...You have whale watching available this month and next...it is an idealic setting with palms nice little beach and people to serve you.

Paradise Island ( is really Cayo Arena near Punta Rucia) The freakin' tour companies just have to put their name on everything!!

Anyway, Cayo Arena is a sand spit with absolutely nothing growing on it and the tour company takes you out there in boats, gives you rum in the sun and you can skin dive (DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!!) nearby. It is a day in the sun..while I love Punta Rucia, i hate this tour company!!

Anyway, for a newbie, I'd do Cayo Levantado in Saman? Bay any day of the week....

HB

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
They are totally different places!!!

If memory serves, "Bacard? " island is really Cayo Levantado in the Bay of Saman? ...You have whale watching available this month and next...it is an idealic setting with palms nice little beach and people to serve you.

Paradise Island ( is really Cayo Arena near Punta Rucia) The freakin' tour companies just have to put their name on everything!!

Anyway, Cayo Arena is a sand spit with absolutely nothing growing on it and the tour company takes you out there in boats, gives you rum in the sun and you can skin dive (DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!!) nearby. It is a day in the sun..while I love Punta Rucia, i hate this tour company!!

Anyway, for a newbie, I'd do Cayo Levantado in Saman? Bay any day of the week....

HB

Hillbilly, as usual, is 100% correct.

Gregg

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Hillbilly, as usual, is 100% correct.

Gregg

Cheers Fireguy! What was wrong with my post? ;)

The Saona trip is also billed as "Paradise Island".

For the trip, I'd be inclined to do one of two things. Bite the bullet and pay over the odds through the rep, as they use good 'viewing' boats. This will be (I'd guess) about US$120 to $150 each. This is the only trip (guessing you're staying at Playa Dorada) that I'd say don't book throught the tour company in the plaza. They use speedboats, which while we had a great day still, we didn't know at the time, there are speed and distance restrictions that the speedboats don't adhere to. Apparently, this can cause the whales distress. The better tours use 'observation boats' which also have shade and you can see further from the upper deck.

By reputation, "Kim's" is the best. They have a web site. This would be the second way of doing things, book direct then get a taxi for the day.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Keith,

Nothing wrong at all; Saona Island may be billed as Paradise Island BUT not a usual North Coast excursion; primarily East Coast and South Coast.

cbear,

For whale watching I, like Keith, ONLY recommend Kim Beddall of Whale Samana / Victoria Marine who started the whole whale watching thing many years ago. She's still the best and most respectful of the rules. Book with her and co-ordinate with Martin for transportation and to make a full day excursion.

Gregg

karibbeankidd

Oct 5, 2005
My 2 Pesos Worth

If you do plan on the whale watching trip and are going from Puerto Plata
or Sosua area check out Mel Tours (search yahoo for Mel Tours Sosua
for their web site)
Went with them last year and it was a great trip.
They pick you up early in the morning on nice chartered bus and you travel
east along the coastline to Samana. Stopping for a great breakfast buffet in a small village about 1/2 down to Samana.
They take you out on smaller boats than some of the other operators,
which lets you get really close to the whales.
Kim's trips are great - but then you have to get to Samana -
why put up with that hassle? - no stress on the bus so you get to enjoy the whole day.
After the boat trip out to the whales you go to Barcardi Island for a
wonderful lunch feast served on the beach with plently of time for sunning
& swimming.
On the trip back they stop a couple times for beer/bathroom/trinket breaks.
You'll get back around 5:30 and will have had a fantastic day.
It was one of the highlights of our trip last year along with the cable car
in Puerto.
If you want more info just PM me.

Enjoy - :rambo:

PS - your boys will love this trip !!!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
They take you out on smaller boats than some of the other operators,
which lets you get really close to the whales.

The point which Keith made and I echoed is that many of these smaller boats DO NOT adhere to the rules and potentially cause harm or distress to the whales...

NOT GOOD AT ALL, IMHO, no matter how you or anyone else likes getting really close.

Please respect these gentle giants.

Gregg

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
The point which Keith made and I echoed is that many of these smaller boats DO NOT adhere to the rules and potentially cause harm or distress to the whales...

NOT GOOD AT ALL, IMHO, no matter how you or anyone else likes getting really close.

Please respect these gentle giants.

Gregg

Absolutely, 100% reinforce this comment from Gregg (reinforcing my earlier one!)

Whales have a hard enough time of it. We're going into their environment to marvel at them! Causing distress to the whales may mean the difference between them mating or not. To go once out of ignorence (as we did the first time) is excusable. To recommend people do it once the reasons for avoiding speedboats has been explaned, is not.

Reputable tours will respect the speed limit, respect the distance from the whales... and respect the whales themselves.

[ps Gregg, as I'm sure you guessed, no offence taken in my earlier comment, simply my odd, sarcastic humour!]

karibbeankidd

Oct 5, 2005
Seems like everything has to turn into some kind of I'm right - he's wrong
on this site -

First off when I went out with Mel Tours the boats didn't race around
or get right next to the whales.
However just due to the fact the boat is smaller and you are sitting
where you can actually put you hand in the water the whales seem
that much closer and larger.

Second the wake and impact of the larger boats does bother the whales
more than the smaller boats, which are much less intrusive.
Smaller boat - smaller impact - any fisherman knows this.

And third - the orginal poster wanted info on Barcardi Island - which Mel Tours visits on the trip - so I suggest that you start a new thread if you want
to bash the whale watchers.

I fully understand your concerns - I am not suggesting that anyone
go out and harass the whales. But those boats WILL be going out
daily as it is how the locals make a living. They have been going out
for years and will continue to do so.

I was just giving the OP some info on the available options that would
be a fun filled day for her and her family.

Karibbeankidd - "For every sunset there is a cold Presidente" :pirate:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
on this site -

If you think that's what this site or I'm all about - you're only reading selectively, IMHO.

My comment was only based on your words and has nothing to do with being right and everything to do do with what's right for the whales. I accepted your first comment at face value because I have no reason not too and I will accept your clarification (that you weren't really any closer but only that "the whales seem that much closer and larger" because you were in a smaller boat; not sure I follow the logic but I accept it anyway) also because I have no reason not too.

"For every sunset there is a cold Presidente"

Nice sentiment - I may appropriate it on another board from time to time.

Gregg

karibbeankidd

Oct 5, 2005
Hey-oh -

I'll be down in a month - so please don't drink em all.
In fact I had better get Rocky to start stocking up now.

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
on this site -

First off when I went out with Mel Tours the boats didn't race around
or get right next to the whales.
However just due to the fact the boat is smaller and you are sitting
where you can actually put you hand in the water the whales seem
that much closer and larger.

Second the wake and impact of the larger boats does bother the whales
more than the smaller boats, which are much less intrusive.
Smaller boat - smaller impact - any fisherman knows this.

And third - the orginal poster wanted info on Barcardi Island - which Mel Tours visits on the trip - so I suggest that you start a new thread if you want
to bash the whale watchers.

I fully understand your concerns - I am not suggesting that anyone
go out and harass the whales. But those boats WILL be going out
daily as it is how the locals make a living. They have been going out
for years and will continue to do so.

I was just giving the OP some info on the available options that would
be a fun filled day for her and her family.

Karibbeankidd - "For every sunset there is a cold Presidente" :pirate:

Don't take it personally, I don't normally do a I'm right... type message but, in this case...

The thing is, I have done both trips. And yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the speedboat trip. But that was before I knew that the speed disturbs the whales and that there were both distance and speedlimits within the bay. The speedboat I was in did go fast. They'd see a water spout and set off at full lick towards it. They did get much closer to the whales than they were supposed to. You are right, they have run these tours for years and people still go on them. In Africa, they went shooting elephants for years, that didn't make it right.

Agreed, the original post was about the Islands not whales but I think it is important to inform, even if slightly off topic.

I know it's all too easy for a message to come across 'holier than thou', so to end, I'll be there at the end of this month and will happily buy you that cold Presidente as the sunsets... just not on a speedboat!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.