Any GPS for the DR?

C

Chip00

No - I seriously doubt it. Rely on a good road map is the best bet. They can be found at the larger stores like La Sirena. the main thing to remember is don't do a lot of long distance traveling at night -you never know when you're going to come a cross a washout or a whole 4 foot deep or a couple of ladrones.

EMTuKnowMe

Nov 15, 2006
Tx for your reply

No - I seriously doubt it. Rely on a good road map is the best bet. They can be found at the larger stores like La Sirena. the main thing to remember is don't do a lot of long distance traveling at night -you never know when you're going to come a cross a washout or a whole 4 foot deep or a couple of ladrones.

Thank you very much for your reply.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
If you use something like MapSource in DR, you will find the actual roads are often several miles off. It will also show roads that may have been planned but were never constructed.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
I have Garmin tracks for most of the DR. I have them in Trackmaker format. If you are not familiar with this program go to their website and let me know if you are interested. The website is GPS TrackMaker

The basemaps are useless. They have road that don't exist, missing major roads, and are off by miles in some places.

Have you considered getting the upgrade for GOOGLE EARTH? Its about 25 dollars US and allows you to trace and download tracks from satellite data. The detail is constantly being improved and most major cities you can see down to the street level. It give basemap-like representation of roads (which are also off by miles). The advantage of this is that you can actually "travel" your route before even coming here, become generally familiar with the route/terrain, and most important, navigate through towns/cities. There is no guarantee of this since many towns have one-way roads in and out of the city but with the absence of signs in most cases, you can "dead-reckon" through most places. There is always stopping to ask directions too :D

Hope this helps
Buddy

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
By the way, most road maps are useless too. They too have roads that don't exist or missing roads. With the exception of major resorts and cities, none give you street-level detail needed to get you through most towns.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Budson... do you know if the Google Earth upgrade allows you to see detail of the North Coast, particularly Cabarete? With the regular version, there's detail to the west from Sosua, and to the east, but not in town and the surrounding area...

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Budson... do you know if the Google Earth upgrade allows you to see detail of the North Coast, particularly Cabarete? With the regular version, there's detail to the west from Sosua, and to the east, but not in town and the surrounding area...

I believe the data resolution is the same regardless of whether you have the upgrade or use the free version. I think the upgrade is solely for creating and downloading GPS tracks and some copy functions. Regardless, the detail for the north coast is pretty good and there is no problems seeing road detail in towns.

alvinjimenez

Nov 16, 2008
I already have the first GPS for the capital of Dominican Republic, in 2 week I will have 500pcs for sale... and with time we will add the rest of the island..
OmegaTech (809) 683-4343

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I already have the first GPS for the capital of Dominican Republic, in 2 week I will have 500pcs for sale... and with time we will add the rest of the island..
OmegaTech (809) 683-4343

Alvin, make sure you put one aside for me to test. I'll write a review.

Good to see you posting on the board.

By the way ladies and gentelmen, if you ever need a PC or computer part in the DR, this is company you should deal with.

OmegaTech, great owner, biggest in the DR and good pricing.

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
need fees bacb from the pc's you're selling? But i am defenetly interested with some navigation systeme for SD/Santiago at least? HOW MUCH $$$$$

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
this is one great news for the DR . It will alawod the tourist to visit the country side on their own and will also incrase the rental car buisnes. I hope the tourist ministery/ or some one from the governement is watching closely the GPS introduction to the country? it's a very good tools to compete with the lost of visitors taken by the other island and Latino countries?
The DR IS AN AMAZING country ,and it's facinating to see it bumping to developement and succes?
The extreme oposite is also thrue , the unthinkable nightmare could also happen to you there.
"Bravo " to the Dominican Republic!!!!!

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Even the maps are not real easy to read here there strange routing on some road, backwards in the city plan ahead since there is no real organization even in the cities. one way might become two and you have to be constanty watching behing and foward. look a your side mirrors constantly. Four years ago when I first got here I learned the hard way it doesn't matter if you have a green light, keep an eye on the nuts.