Buying beerand stuff in Cofresi

Status
Not open for further replies.

chacha777

Dec 2, 2006
Where can I buy beer, rum pop and snacks in Cofresi? Arriving near evening and would like to be able to buy near our villa. Is it more expensive there than other places? What beer is good? We are near Cofresi Cove mini market.

Thanks!!

A

apostropheman

why not just shop there then?

what's with all the new member's names ending in "777" anyway?;)

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tourist trap............

Why not just go into Puerto Plata one day and buy your goodies at the local Supermarket to avoid the tourist prices.........10 minutes by cab or grab the bus on the main road!
Kill an afternoon there and see the town and buy your gifts to take back as well.

chacha777

Dec 2, 2006
Buying stuff

What time is the supermarkets open till? Guess we'll buy more expensive beer on the first night till we can get to a bigger store. What is the best beer or is that a matter of taste? As for "777" I don't know but for some it might be the year07. just a guess!!

A

apostropheman

most people drink Presidente. another option is Brahma and it's a little less expensive. just guessing about the closing time but probably open till 11:00pm

is this your first trip to the DR or just to cofresi?
What time is the supermarkets open till? Guess we'll buy more expensive beer on the first night till we can get to a bigger store. What is the best beer or is that a matter of taste? As for "777" I don't know but for some it might be the year07. just a guess!!

Last edited:

chacha777

Dec 2, 2006
1st trip

This is the 1st time to D.R.. Me my husband and 2 kids along with my father and his friend. My father has been but in an all inclusive in Puerto Plata. When I travel, it is in villas and not all inclusive. I like getting out in the real life instead of stuck in an all inclusive and feeling you need to stay there to get your moneys worth.Just my thoughts!!Like to get a bit of an idea on what to expect when we are there. On another note, we were told to exchange money at the airport? Is this the best deal? I know usually hotels are not good for good rates. Other places I've been we go to a bank and change American$ for whatever. Are travellers checks easily changed?

This site is great and I've learned alot and will learn more. Thanks!!!!!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The only liquor/supermarket type store that has any sort of selection and decent prices near Cofresi is Jenny's supermarket in Costambar. Costambar is between Cofresi and Puerto Plata.

There is a dirt road short cut between Cofresi and Costambar where you don't even have to go on the main highway but you will need an SUV to get there. Otherwise take public transport or a taxi to Costambar via main roads. The road into Costambar from the main highway is also a mess, but it can be passed with regular car (slowly and carefully).

If you don't have a SUV ride its almost the same to go into Puerto Plata and shop at a larger supermarket like (Messon's or Tropical or Jose Luis). When traffic is bad due to road construction in Puerto Plata I always go to Jenny's in Costambar.

I live in Cofresi, let me know if you have any other questions.

chacha777

Dec 2, 2006
Thanks Conchman

Thanks for the info.How far is Costambar in miles? Is it walkable during the day?How about money exchange? Is it best to do at the airport? Cofresi sounds like a nice little place to enjoy. I gather you can rent beach chairs on the beach? any thing else you want to add to your helpful info will be great. My kids are 8 and 10 and love swimming. Thanks again!!!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
To answer your original question, need to know if you are coming into POP airport and how are you geting to Cofresi. If you are coming into POP and going by taxi, ask the driver to stop at Supermercado Jose Luis as you pass through Puerto Plata. I believe they close at 8PM. You can buy whatever you want there at locals prices. Inside the supermarket is a branch of Banco Popular. They will exchange dollars at a much better rate than the airport.

chacha777

Dec 2, 2006
Pop

We come to POP and are picked up by employees of the villa. We were told they can't stop at the store on the way back. I guess we will go into Puerto Plata the next day. Is there lots of differences in money exchange as to where the best rate is? I presume our villa will have some answers too but like to have a heads up. Thanks

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
chacha, check the rates before you leave then check the rate when you get to the airport. sometimes the airport is ok and sometimes not. i usually get some at the airport for the cab/for the first evening and the rest at the local bank or money exchange place. i don't advise using the guys on the street to exchange money although people do....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
STAY AWAY from "Global Cambio" in Puerto Plata airport to change money!
They do not offer a fair rate.

tambo'

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I do not change money in airports!
If I recall there may be a Ban Reservas there, if so they are fair.

tambo'

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
PLAZA TAINIA or the Cove mini mart will work in a pinch. Both are on the playa road. The $5. to the driver is likley the easiest bet. Don't miss the spa at lifestyles or the Ocean World night show both are well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.