Shopping in Sosua....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
We are 30 days out:D and I just started getting clothes "ready" to pack into suitcases and carryons and can see that in my small pile I already have is TOO MUCH.

I am interested in someplace in Sosua (preferably near the Checkpoint) as I will be there one day after my arrival for a place to purchase a couple pareos, tshirts and possibly a sundress for reasonable "cheap" prices?

Most islands I have been too, I have been able to get pareos for $10, Sundresses for $20 and tshirts super-duper cheap. Want a place in that range if possible.

Also would like to pick up coffee and vanilla in Sousa.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Yep, you should be able to get stuff like that no probs in Sosua.

For the coffee and vanille, try the supermarket and the rest you can haggle for from the little stalls on the road down to the beach.

30 days??? Im still so jealous.....haha

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Betty,
There should be someone that knows the Sosua 'Thrift Shops' quite well & can advise approximate costs etc. If NOT, get yourself across to Puerto Plata on the day in question & I'll take you t a few!! 'T'- shirts, mens button up shirts, are 3 for RD $100 here (US $3.00), mens trousers are srom around RD $80 - RD $100. I haven't checked the LADIES stuff as I wouldn't dare buy 'used' for a lady!!
Tienda Jiminez (three shops) Casa Nelson & several others, offer NEW clothing at very inexpensive rates. I don't think the 'Pulga' is open th day you need it to be, but the 'Liquidacion' store on the way in to Puerto Plata should be! Puerto Plata is a mine of inexpensive clothing!

Let me know if you are coming this way & need to be shown the 'ropas' etc!! ~ Grahame.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
youll have no problem finding your stuff but have fun haggling and be well prepared to haggle! Those beach stall guys are like sharks if your looking for something and they smell a sale for someone. They will go to the extreme of buying your item at another stall and reselling it you (marked up of course). You REALLY need to know correct prices for items before you shop on the beach in Sosua. Youll immediately notice theres no prices on anything. This should set off a an alarm.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Thanks....

Grahame, Clare and Beads - thanks for the information.

I am not really interested in "Thrift Shop" clothing and more interested in new items. I usually come home with at least 10 tshirts to keep and to give to friends back home....... And would like to do the same. I just want somewhere for a few items as mentioned above and also a nice tropical polo or shirt for hubby as well. I have too many school supplies to pack and dont want to overpack on clothes like I usually do:rolleyes:

I am used to haggling for prices and usually if I see something I REALLY like from a vendor, I ask price and then ask them how much if I buy 2 of them - the price comes DRASTICALLY down. And I am one of those people that if one vendor is next to another and I buy too much from one.....I purchase from the other as well as I feel bad. I know....not good....but that is how I am. Then on way down to the beach the rest will hear "no gracias", unless something catches my eye..........

10 of my group of 24 are HUGE foodies (and 6 of us are part-time chefs.....myself included) and love spices etc from other countries.

Sosua is my first choice to shop as I think we will be there the most often - we will be in Puerto Plata and Sosua with Martin Espinal on the 12th and he said he will take us to grocery store which I know we will all love to see....
Any recommendation on a grocery store in either areas?

thanks again everyone....LOVE THIS SITE and the great people I have "met" here

PS - I Noticed I spelled Sosua wrong a couple of times (in topic and OP) and wish someone could change it for me???? I should have that down pat by now since I just finished the Sosua Kids pamphlet last week..... In case anyone wants to see it- Chris one of the Moderators here kindly posted it online:http://www.caribbetech.com/SosuaKids/Brochuresosuakids1.pdf

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
10 of my group of 24 are HUGE foodies (and 6 of us are part-time chefs.....myself included) and love spices etc from other countries.

Sosua is my first choice to shop as I think we will be there the most often - we will be in Puerto Plata and Sosua with Martin Espinal on the 12th and he said he will take us to grocery store which I know we will all love to see....
Any recommendation on a grocery store in either areas?
The supermarkets in the area are Playero in Sosua and Jose Luis, Tropical and Messon in Puerto Plata. They all carry similar items, but prices will be less in Puerto Plata than Sosua. The supermarkets are a good place to purchase coffee, vanilla, spices, etc.
When in Puerto Plata, be sure to go to the outdoor market. It is made up of stalls selling fruits, vegetables, meats, spices, etc. This is where the true local shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.