First Time...any advice?

C

Chris

Two females, first time to DR. We are staying 2 nights in Santo Domingo, 1 night in Punta Cana and 2 nights in Puerta Plata. Any suggestion on what to do and see? Nightlife (dancing) in those areas? We will have a car. Please email.

K

Kaja

I am coming to Dominican republic in April. I will stay in a hotel in Juan Dolio. So I am interesting if there is anything to do? I would also like to know what is weather like in April. Are there many showers and if they are, are they lasting for the whole day?

Thank you, Kaja

J

Joanne

Be sure to visit the colonial zone in Santo Domingo. Be cautious if driving at night on rural roads--Not unusual for a cow or horse to be loose and wandering. Not all vehicles have operating signal ,brake or headlights. In Puerto Plata, the cable car, the amber museum, the fort, the victorian buildings in the city. Disco's available in the Playa Dorado complex. and of course visit Sam's and say hello. We are housed in the city's first hotel and the building is over 100 years old-lots of character and characters.

C

Cindy

If you haven't already -- check out Debbies website for everything you would ever want to know about DR. The site also includes numerous reviews from people who have been to the resorts and have written in their comments.

We used the website and the DR message board before we went on our honeymoon and found both sites to be invaluable.

Enjoy your holiday!!!

T

trina

One thing that most forget to mention, and I am going to tell you, because I don't want people to think poorly of our beautiful country. When you get to the airport, you will go outside, and there will be a hundred baggage porters trying to grab your bags and carry them for you. These people are pushy, and very rude. If you want their help, agree on a price (I think 10 or 15 pesos / bag is good - this is $1 US) before you let him grab your bags, and don't give him any more than agreed upon. If you do not want their help, look at them, and say a VERY FIRM "NO." And keep walking. Do not mistake them for a taxi driver, because taxi drivers will not porter bags. Don't mistake them for someone from your hotel, even if he says he works for the hotel - they will also not porter your bags.

If you let him carry your bags without agreeing on a price, they are going to try to charge you $25 US. And all of a sudden, they will have 6 other porters, ready to back him up. I hate how they do this to tourists, however, this is how they make money - their bread and butter.

If you are harrassed in any way, yell "Policia". It is illegal for anyone in the Dominican to harrass tourists. They will scatter like fleas, because they know that it is illegal.

That is one of the only negative things I can say about the DR. Take care, have a wonderful trip.