Renting an apartment in Santiago

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
My friends and I have been traveling to the DR for about four years now and have finally decided to take the plunge and rent an apartment there. We have decided on on Santiago because we love the fact that it is less touristy than other "cities" on the island.

My question is, which neighborhoods would be ideal for someone who travels there once a month and does not actually plan to live there full-time. Ideally, it would have reliable security and internet access (we would like to be able to conduct business online). It does not have to be furnished and we are willing to pay up to $500 USD per month. Previously, we have rented an apartment close to the monument. I believe that the area is called Parte Alta. We liked that area, but would like to explore others.

I'v done a search of this forum, but it seems that all of the posts on this subject are old. We have a friend in Santiago that is helping us. However, I always like to do my own research before I make a decision.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Vince.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will put my hounds on the task and perhaps when you arrive you can see a few.
Depending on where you get a place $500 might not cut it......

We'll talk.

HB

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
I am interested in this question too. I am also looking for a place in Santiago In addition, which neighboorhoods are best. There was a nieghbor hood near El Caribe Tour's station that looked nice. I seem to recall a few high rise buildings there.

C

Chip00

Apartment/house

If you don't have to live downtown you can probably find what your looking for relativley easy. We rented a house with three bedrooms for $8000RD this year before we bout a house. Please be aware that you will have to normally put down a deposit of three months rent and the normal contract is one year.

We rented in Los Llanos de gurabo which is about 10min. from downtown. If you want me to do some checking I'll call the realtor who got us the house to rent in the first place - she's a good friend of my sister in law - send me a PM.

Chip

lajackael

Dec 12, 2004
pages.prodigy.net
New home, new housing develpoment in Gurabo with high speed internet access and cable and telephone(3 bedrooms). Available for fellow Americans at $500.00 .
Also to have a gate guard in the future. 809 351 0509

C

Chip00

Apartment

I found a nice area at the Estrella Sadhala and the Juan Pablo Duarte called "La Esmereldina". It is very close to downtown (5 min. by carro publico)and a nice mall with a movie theatre, two supermarkets(one open all night) and close to public transportation.

They range from RD10,000 to RD12,000 on up for a three bedroom.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Regarding things relating to Gurabo:
It is a a beautiful place. However, it is out of town and certainly not close to anything. There are some undesirable elements to be dealt with and drugs are involved. Not all over Gurabo, but it is seldome patrolled with few cops and you can get "anything" .....

HB

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Thanks, Safety is a concern for me. Which ones are the safe neighborhood. I saw one near El Caribe tours station that seemed nice.

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
La Trinitaria

HI Vince, Judy and I have seen several apartments (and a couple houses) for rent in La Trinitaria, up the hill from City Hall (the Ayuntamiento). One apt was quoted at 16,000 pesos/month (at 33, that's not quite $500).

La Trinitaria also has several towers that are going up. Yet right after one tower was completed, one of its apts put out a for rent sign.

An idea: drive up to the Estrella Sadhala side of the water tower, park your car, and walk around the area. You'll see apts for rent/sale that you would not see driving by.

Hope this helps, Bob

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Hi Boband judy,
My names Dave. I am interesed in the La Trinitaria. How do I get there from downtown?