Beachfront?

Status
Not open for further replies.

city of champions

Jan 5, 2007
Everyone was so helpful with my previous question that I thought I'd ask another. I'm researching accommodation options in Cabarete for myself and a friend (we're 2 girls) and possibly a few other people (guys or girls) all in our 20s. My question is- should we limit ourselves to accommodations on the beachfront and stay away from crossing the street at night? In Jamaica I learned that it was much safer to stay on the beach and to walk back to the hotel along the beach as opposed to walking across and/or along the road. I have never been to the Dominican Republic so I realize that may or may not be the case there, but I wanted to find out before I narrow down my options! Thanks in advance!

karibbeankidd

Oct 5, 2005
Really wouldn't suggest walking along the beach at nite
except right in the main area of town.
It's just not a safe thing to do.
Always hearing about someone getting robbed
by doing that. :rolleyes:

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Really wouldn't suggest walking along the beach at nite
except right in the main area of town.
It's just not a safe thing to do.
Always hearing about someone getting robbed
by doing that. :rolleyes:

I disagree entirely... just because it's karibbeankidd...;) ;) :D

Seriously, as said above, not recommended to walk any distance on the beach at night*, although if there's a group of you I would think you'd be okay but even so, it gets very dark once away from the main strip. Around the main part of the town's beach is fine.

In answer to your initial question, either side of the main road is fine. The road is well lit etc. I stayed one time at the 'Cita del Sol'... or something like that! The main hassle that time was during the day, having to cross the road, due to the traffic.

Beach front is nice but safety isn't the main issue in Cabarete. My wife arrives there today for a week on her own before I get there next week and I've got less concerns regarding her walking around on her own at night than I would if she was walking around in our local town on her own.

*We did walk back to the Punta Goleta (about 1km away) along the beach once and I must admit there were a couple of times I thought 'this is a bit silly', as it really is so dark and there are so many places that a mugger could hide, then escape in to. You suddenly realise that, with the noise of the waves, you wouldn't even hear anyone approaching you. It stopped being a 'romantic stroll' quite quickly and became an 'eyes peeled, hightened state of alertness'. We were fine, didn't even see anyone else the whole way... but we didn't do it again!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I would say the opposite is true in Cabarete. I think the street is a much safer route to walk at night than the beach, however I've never heard of anyone having a problem on the beach. Also crossing the street is not a problem whatsoever, just look both ways...twice! The street is well lit, and as long as the bars are open, there are plenty of people and a few cops milling about. Just dont be too drunk, or act irresponsibly and you should be fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.