New to Sosua, looking to meet laid-back expats

SosuaGuy2007

Jan 11, 2007
Hi All,
I have just arrived in Sosua (will be here probably at least till summer) and don't know a soul. Mid-forties, educated, not the liquor-and-hookers type. Anyone who enjoys meeting newbies, or anyone who could recommend American/Canadian/Aussie hangouts in Sosua, please don't be shy!

Best,
Bob

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You have to go to Rockys and hang around a little. Most of the people there look a little strange ;) and they are a little strange. But hang around and you'll find some good folks!

Liquor and hookers, of course .. but you can ignore those!

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Campo Bar

if u r deep alchoholic. Strongest drinks on earth. Larry is a cool guy

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
SosuaGuy2007, welcome to DR1!

I'm curious, if you're not the "the liquor-and-hookers type", what made you choose Sosua?

I know, there's plenty more to do in Sosua, but it is mostly a party town. :nervous:

SosuaGuy2007

Jan 11, 2007
[rellosk said] "I'm curious, if you're not the "the liquor-and-hookers type", what made you choose Sosua?"
==================
Good question! Answer is simple economics. I understand Sosua to be one of the lesser-expensive areas that has reliable electricity. BTW, in my experience the aforementioned "type" can be lively company...so I'm headed for Rocky's! (as Peter Sellers said, "I like to watch.")

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Good question! Answer is simple economics. I understand Sosua to be one of the lesser-expensive areas that has reliable electricity. BTW, in my experience the aforementioned "type" can be lively company...so I'm headed for Rocky's! (as Peter Sellers said, "I like to watch.")

Who told you that?

P.S. You may have to negotiate the fee for 'watching'.............;)

SosuaGuy2007

Jan 11, 2007
So what *is* the least-expensive North Coast town?

[Lambada said] "Who told you that?"
=============

Do you mean Sosua is not so cheap, or that electricity is not so reliable? Or both?

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Quien te dijo?......

I understand Sosua to be one of the lesser-expensive areas that has reliable electricity.
Who told you that, a "cartoon character" Real Estate Mongoloid?.

He is trying to "suck you in", RUNNNNNNN, wahahahahahahaha!!.

Sorry, couldn't help it, jeje!.

G

gary short

[Lambada said] "Who told you that?"
=============

Do you mean Sosua is not so cheap, or that electricity is not so reliable? Or both?

Are you frickin kidding me...........listen up......mark.....watch your tail!!!!!!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Who told you that, a "cartoon character" Real Estate Mongoloid?.

He is trying to "suck you in", RUNNNNNNN, wahahahahahahaha!!.

Sorry, couldn't help it, jeje!.

You must have read my mind, Miguel. :laugh:

SosuaGuy, people who have reliable electricity tend to organise it for themselves (inverters, generators etc). And no Sosua isn't so 'cheap'. Property is overpriced, likewise Cabarete. Even food shopping is cheaper with a more varied selection in larger towns. If you want to test this out visit other towns. If you want to test out the property prices go inland a bit and see the difference.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I believe I know what you mean.
Sosua is cheaper than most tourist towns with expat communities.
Cabarete, for example, is a lot more expensive.
As for the electricity, there are definitely areas with worse power problems than we have.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
There are areas in Puerto Plata serviced by the Puerto Plata Electricity company. It is a privately owned company that provides electricity to Playa Dorada Hotels. WE have electricity almost 24/7, the only down time is due to repairs and maintenance.

I think POP is less expensive then Sosua and Cabarete. And there are a number of ex pats here. However - you might have to go 10 minutes instead of 5 to get to a beach..... I know the beach here isn't as nice....

SosuaGuy2007

Jan 11, 2007
I need to check out Puerto Plata

Thanks Planner, it must be Puerto Plata my stateside source was referring to when telling of reliable electricity, because I remember the part about a private power company.

I don't care that much about distance to the beach, so given the fact that POP has its own expat population (maybe fewer hookers and deep alkies, ha ha!) and isn't more expensive, I need to check it out.

I've met a helpful expat who is going to help me look at apartments for rent here in Sosua, and it sounds like I should look in POP too...if anyone knows about apartments for rent in POP (e.g., units currently available), a message would be most appreciated.

Mucho gracias to all those who have sent me messages, I'm starting to feel at home here in the DR already.

- Bob

Last edited:

SosuaGuy2007

Jan 11, 2007
Casa Angel, run by Peter Bock

Casa Angel, run by the affable Peter Bock has studio apartments at $500 per month with all utilities included (including A/C and wireless internet). Not too far from Rocky's, yea!