Living - Clothes!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Come-one now, where do you buy your clothes? You're surely not buying them in the DR? The best of my current trip to the US, is that I can find 'normal person' clothes! None of that clingy, made for 2 sizes smaller, stuff!

Confess! who buys clothes in the DR?

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
clothes

Come-one now, where do you buy your clothes? You're surely not buying them in the DR? The best of my current trip to the US, is that I can find 'normal person' clothes! None of that clingy, made for 2 sizes smaller, stuff!

buy all my clothes here...lots of shops on Duarte,mega central,la sirena,el conde....
bob

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I bring my girlfriends to Diva"s on Calle Beller in Puerta Plata. Not bad clothes for the DR.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Chris - I know how you feel. I am itching for a trip to a "normal" store. As females we are size conscious. I refuse to buy clothes where the "size" is not even close to reality. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The only success I have - finding those small tiendas that are stocked with clothes brought from NY or Miami!!! Now those work for me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in london i used to buy size 8-10 (no idea what's that in usa sizes), generally small.
i went to the shop in POP with minovio's sister, tried S - too small, MEDIUM - still too small. shop assistant asked me "tu quieres la grande?" and i shouted "YO NO SOY GRANDE!!!!!" and run away from the shop....
LOL

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, I rarely buy clothes in the DR. Some of the stuff in the capital is OK though - I like European chains like Zara and Mango, and Bossini which is a sort of pseudo Gap.

dv8: US sizes = UK size minus 4.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Wow --- so you wear a US size 4/6 and you can't fit into a small??? That is SCARY!! If Grande is Pequeno what is Grande??? Nothing like giving you a complex!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

I do! Particularly trousers. And yes I'm slim. I reckon when I visit UK I'm the only old age pensioner wearing DR teenie bopper trousers. :laugh:

dv8, I'm a size 10 UK & the medium pants here fit perfectly. Try Jimenez near Caribe Tours or the one opposite Silverio Messon's.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Use "JCPenny. Com"!

Go,"On Line"!
I just ordered some clothes from a place in "Pennsylvania"!
I "Can't Wait"! for my next trip to Boston! I now wear size 42" waist pants,down from size 56"! That means no more trips to the "Fat Man's" Store! I can buy,"Off-The-Rack" at "Walmart"!
ccccc

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Go,"On Line"!
I just ordered some clothes from a place in "Pennsylvania"!
I "Can't Wait"! for my next trip to Boston! I now wear size 42" waist pants,down from size 56"! That means no more trips to the "Fat Man's" Store! I can buy,"Off-The-Rack" at "Walmart"!
ccccc

Wow! Really .. you must have existed only on canned tuna fish! ;) Walmart? No!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the problem with sizes here is the same as in the uk - MORGAN size 8 fits a child, DOROTHY PERKINS size 8 fits an elephant.
it all depends which shop you go to. the scene i described was in jimenez, i was trying on some runners outfit. but then i bought there a top size S and it was ok.....
but i sure miss high street shops from london, i an geting sentimental now... and i miss charity shops with cheap one-off pieces...

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I'm a bloke, so maybe a different perspective on shopping, but I didn't think the quality has to be a problem. There's a Zara and Benetton in Santo Domingo, not good enough?
The sizes would be a problem though. Shirts are ok, but I did try to buy some jeans or other trousers, but with 34"W/36"L, that's simply impossible. Not the 34 waist, but the 36" length just doesn't exist. The longest I tried on still looked like shorts... :)

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
well!

Since I come from the land of the potato sack and functional clothing, I do like to buy clothes in the DR I look for spandexy sexijeans, pretty much, and that's what I find.

Incidently, I never look at the size, I look at the pants, and my eyes are good. Of my dominican collection of jeans, the sizes vary greatly but they are all pretty much Friday night date jeans, all of the same ilk.

I also like Dominican bra shops! Again, Maine is far too limited in the "wow" factor.

The first time I wore my Dominican jeans while going out on a date with a guy I have been out with five or six times he said WOW I had no idea you could look like that!

So, my contribution to this thread. My fave pair came from a little shop in zona colonial SD.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are some very nice shops along my street: Avenida Metropolitana--but up scale.
Many, many men and women keep tailors busy., Especially for a guy like grande tailoring is the way to go. They are inexpensive and do good work. No Dominican male of a certain standard would think of buying a suit or dress pants "off the rack"...

Conversely, I do not have to buy my jeans or khakis, thank God! That said, if i were to go and buy them, I go to RETAL, which is located on Avenida Imbert in the Gurabito section of lower Santiago. They sell overages from many of the free zone factories and nobody can beat the quality or the prices...Shirts, jeans, tops for women and girls, skirts, etc...

The good thing about being the old man is that I get presents of clothes all the time. I haven't bought a pair of shoes in years....

As for basics like socks and underware, they are all purchased in the US....and muled down here by family....

Note to self: Get those visuals of MG at a jean shop trying on teeny bopper jeans and STOP with the bra shop visuals!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my!!! Oh my!!

Addenda: Wipe those images of CCCCCCCCCCCCC at the Fat Man's Store off the hard drive. (But congrats on going from a 56 to a 42!!!) You can still shop at a Big and Tall!!!

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
and i miss charity shops with cheap one-off pieces...

They're here in Puerto Plata, but not in shops. They operate from people's homes or as mountainfrog says out of vehicles and sometimes they go around on foot. A friend of mine has a clothes business from her home which is between 12 de julio & the Malecon. One whole room is piled up with stuff which she gets from Dajabon every Friday - French label (genuine not copied) clothes, new French shoes, Louis Jordan, Balenciaga etc. And prices about a quarter of the UK charity shops. Go to Benji's breadshop and ask where Christian's home is, visit her before 10 am. Don't go on a Friday because she'll be at the market. BTW she doesn't do cocktail dresses because her customers don't have much call for those.........;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanx lambada,
i work 9 to 5 so no early visits possible, is she open on saturdays?
i buy stuff from pulga, occasionally, sometimes you can find really nice pieces there.