University/Entrance exams??

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
What qualifications do you need to get into a University. I know it probably depends on the school but are there entrance exams?

Do Dominican "Highschool" students take a standardize test that rank them like SATs do in the US?

If not--

How is it determined that you are going to PUCUMM as opposed to USAD?

Are there different standards for Dominicans than foreigners? Do Dominican's get first priority?

C

Chip00

Send Hillbilly a PM - he's a professor at Puccmm(?) or what everybody's call the Bucamaima.

cuas

May 29, 2006
My personal experience. I went to the UASD because my father could not afford a private education. 9 children. I am talking many years ago. I did not take an entrance exam but had to take 2 semesters before I went into my faculty. It was called CU-colegio universitario. There is where they really prepare you to succeed in college. I won't call the Associate but the bridge. Professors had students in class that were lost. They were failing. Public high school in DR do not prepare for college.
About private universities Hillbilly can advice you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a lot of self selection. PUCMM, as well as INTEC, are know to flunk students if they do not cut it. That's one.
Perception is another. PUCMM, and INTEC and UNIBE and APEC, are perceived to be "upper class"....nothing further fromthe truth, but perception can play a role. That's two.
Economics. While PUCMM is not the most expensive school in the DR, is is costly. For middle class parents, it can be a challenge, so they push for a less costly alternative.
The PUCMM, by statute, is "open to all students with a proven academic ability". In order to fulfill this mandate, the university had to become the first institution to create its own student loan program, self financed in the beginning. A large proportion if its graduates have benefited from the program. Today, any high school student with an 85 average can opt for a student loan without any guarantor other then him/herself...this is a new concept, betting on a student's ability to continue to do good work...

There are more reasons for choosing the PUCMM or the UASD, but these might be the big three...

HB

and CHIP00?? That's PUcamaima....

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
So what you are saying is -- there is open enrollment. You can go to the worst school, have an 85 average and be eligible for a loan. but.....You have to be able to do the work. If you can pull it off at PUCMM or USAD-- God bless you little soul!-- if you can't--- you have to find another way to improve your standard of living.

Guillen

Jan 5, 2007
What happened to UMPHU? I noticed HB did not mention it. Are they closed??
It used to be top in Engineer and Medical schools 30 years ago. Big exporter of great Dominican talent to the US in the 70's and 80's.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Hi Rich Yes, I must have missed them. Sometimes when I click on the previous links posted nothing comes up. Today, they seem to be working--which is a good thing :)

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Cus--thanks for that piece of information. It puts some things into perspective. 9 Kids!!! WAU!!!